Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

4 hours ago, OliviaPope40 said:

Wonder if those currently in the portal will stay and what will TJD do?

While TJD could probably go and make a few bucks, he’d be somewhat crazy not to stick around and get Woody to work with him.  Could possibly make him a first rounder and real money.  

Just now, moyemayhem said:

Let's take a look at the collective NBA resumes of current college coaches:

• Leonard Hamilton: 19-63 (.232), 1 season
  • John Calipari: 72-112 (.391), 3 seasons, no playoff appearances
  • Fred Hoiberg: 115-155 (.426), 4 seasons, 1 playoff appearance
  • Erik Musselman 108-138 (.439), 3 seasons, no playoff appearances
  • Rick Pitino: 192-220 (.466), 6 seasons, 2 playoff appearances, 1 playoff series win
  • Mike Woodson 315-365 (.463), 9 seasons, 5 playoff appearances, 3 playoff series wins

We've hit the jackpot boys... I can already see the 6th banner!

That will happen his 2nd year, and when he retires at 76 after having a .725% winning percentage, we will look back and be grateful what he did! 

2 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Yeah but will they pick up the phone.  I think Woody could call a lot of NBA folks at 2am and get it answered. 

I think this is more important than most “traditional” college ball fans are going to give it it credit for. Players are no longer lining up for the coaches that will help them learn how to shoot free throws. Even Coach K has had to adapt to that reality in the past few years. Winning is the most important factor, but influence is second.

10 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

That is a story from 2017, when Woodson had wanted the job that eventually Archie Miller got.

It is interesting that Woody and Brown combined to pitch themselves as a package.  I know Woody was initially thrown off by the Matta deal/no deal thing so I wonder if they got together to discuss a team approach. Matta gets a chance to see how things go being more active than he is now and Woody gets to take on the IU job with some immediate help from a college expert 

1 minute ago, TheDarkKnight69 said:

For con 3, there is a difference between being told by a grown man that is a professional to F off and a kid who is trying to make it there. 

Every team has those “ I know it all kids” these kids can help you or really destroy the chemistry of the team. 

2 minutes ago, GreatMcCracken’sGhost said:

I think this is more important than most “traditional” college ball fans are going to give it it credit for. Players are no longer lining up for the coaches that will help them learn how to shoot free throws. Even Coach K has had to adapt to that reality in the past few years. Winning is the most important factor, but influence is second.

Winning is the most important factor for us. Getting guys drafted and paid is what matters to top recruits. Every year Duke and UK posts a list of current NBA players who passed through the program. That is their most important recruiting tool.

Let's all give coach Woody a chance. The fact that so many people hate this hire and are making for fun of us makes me think maybe this if finally the right choice. I think he can clearly coach and he's loves indiana and want to give it his all. And if he can recruit he can get us back. Woody has to know all this trash and negativity he's getting. I hope he uses that as his fire to prove them all wrong.

3 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

And there is no way that Woodson is going to give a rah rah pregame speech with horse racing gates. At least we hired a grown @$$ man.

Yeah I’ll take Woodson over Mussleman too. I guess the cool thing about Woodson is that we don’t know what he could do in the college game.