Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

3 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Musselman was an assistant at Arizona State for 2 years and LSU 1 year immediately before taking the Nevada job.

Sorry, didn’t know that. i just remember him coaching the Warriors and the Kings. He failed at both, but he had no chance in either case. Just like Woodson had no chance in those first few years in Atlanta.

6 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Musselman was an assistant at Arizona State for 2 years and LSU 1 year immediately before taking the Nevada job.

Although Musselman also spent more time in the D/G league than the NBA itself. 

Musselman 9 years in NBA, 3 as HC

Woodson 25 years in the NBA, 8 as HC

Edited by PB1230

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - Indiana University Vice President and Director of Athletics Scott Dolson has named former Hoosier All-American and Indianapolis native Mike Woodson as the 30th head coach in the men's basketball program's history.
Woodson returns to the Bloomington campus with vast experiences and knowledge after playing in the NBA for 11 seasons beginning in 1980 and serving as a coach in the league beginning in 1996 for seven NBA franchises, including nine years combined as a head coach with the Atlanta Hawks and New York Knicks. He was currently serving as an assistant coach with the Knicks.

"This is a great day and a great fit for Indiana Basketball," said IU Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Scott Dolson. "Throughout this process, I was looking for someone I could partner with to return Indiana Basketball to a level of success that Hoosier fans have come to know and expect, and Mike is that person.

"During the last two weeks, I have spoken with numerous individuals at the college and NBA levels, and they were unanimous in their support of and respect for Mike. From his ability in terms of X's and O's to his skill at building relationships and developing players, his reputation is outstanding. As a coach, he's succeeded at the highest levels of the NBA, and he's mentored some of the game's all-time great players. On top of all of that, as one of our program's legendary players, Mike certainly gives us a bridge to our past. But more important than what he did as a former Hoosier player, he's someone who shares my vision for what Indiana Basketball is about, and I'm thrilled about what this day means for our program."

Woodson was the 1980 Big Ten Player of the Year and NABC All-American as a senior in leading the Hoosiers to a conference title and a berth in the NCAA Tournament's Sweet Sixteen. Despite undergoing back surgery in December and missing seven weeks, he was honored as the Chicago Tribune's Silver Basketball Award Winner following the season.

In addition, Dolson has announced that former Ohio State Coach Thad Matta will join the athletic department in the newly created position of Associate Athletic Director for Basketball Administration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Demo said:

Fair point. We have no idea what a Mike Woodson player even looks like yet, but we gotta call our shot now.

Over left-center field wall, right?  Walk-off?

12 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

Not sure if this is frowned upon but here’s a link to where Mike Woodson and Larry Brown had been discussed:

https://www.crimsonquarry.com/2017/3/23/15035268/indiana-university-mike-woodson-larry-brown-head-coach

That is a story from 2017, when Woodson had wanted the job that eventually Archie Miller got.

5 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Reading half of this thread... And I get pegged as the Debbie Downer?

What is your take on this, I'm sorry I missed it if in the early pages.

Just now, brumdog45 said:

That is a story from 2017, when Woodson had wanted the job that eventually Archie Miller got.

Oh! Oops - I had a buddy send that and didn't even get around to reading it. I still stand by my guess that I doubt IU would entertain a Larry Brown hire after the mess he left at SMU - show clause or not

2 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

This is better than mid major flavor of the month imo. Not my pick but I will get behind Woody. I prefer the NBA game right now. Lets keep our key guys, land a transfer or two and see where this goes.

And the more I’m thinking about, the Matta hire is perfect. His biggest question mark his health/stamina, but his connections for hiring assistants and getting in the door with recruiting will be amazing for Woodson. And it won’t waste an assistant’s time getting Woodson up to speed on the college game, and it will be better an input than a less experienced assistant 

For the Chicken Little’s out there..I think we will be just fine. Woodson is good with X’s and O’s And has a good reputation for bonding with players, that’s huge. If we keep Kenya and get another good recruiter as two of the assistants, and then add in a Michael Lewis or Dane Fife, this is a home run IMHO

4 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

Ok being a huge Knicks fan I’m trying to be fair as I possibly can.

Pros-

1) Nice guy

2) knows his Xs and Os and anyone who decides to come in will walk away better. 

3) If all current (freshman) stay we will make a run in the tournament by the time they’re seniors. Specifically Lander who can become an elite point guard under him.

4) An IU guy (personally I don’t care but maybe it can help?)

5) Tries to hold everyone accountable.

6) understands the need to hire great assistants.  Frankly because he had to deal with incompetent NBA front offices.

Cons-

1) I don’t know if has the energy to recruit. Specifically elite recruits.  I know people say his staff will do a lot of leg work but Head Coaches in elite schools (maybe we’re not anymore) do they’re fair share as well. This is my observations being close to seeing Coach K and Roy  work at times.

2) His age. I could have accepted this more if we hired him instead of coach Crean.  Now, I don’t how much longer he can coach.

3) He can be pushed around. A lot of the Knick players liked him a lot, but it was posted many a time that when the best players pushed back he always backed off.  I hope that if a player calls him out at IU he can keep the ship together.  

4) Has to learn how the college game works.  Not an easy transition.  

I hope I’m being fair. I’ll root for the guy. I’m just not going to watch until we’re winning consistently. My blood pressure can’t take it. He was ninth on my list.  For the sake of the program I hope it works out. 

For con 3, there is a difference between being told by a grown man that is a professional to F off and a kid who is trying to make it there.