Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

3 minutes ago, mark1981 said:

I know this is way too early but assuming key guys stay and we score a decent transfer.  What are the expectations for next year?  

The minimum expectation for IU every year should be to make the tournament. 

Bonus points for:

-beat Purdue

-winning conference record

11 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I'm lazy, but there was a quick quote from him a few pages back on Indiana being his dream job.  He had arrived in Bloomington and was meeting the team today, I believe.

Good. I posted earlier about wondering when we would hear about guys coming back and that it'd be nice for him to get to work immediately. 

4 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Not sure if you were insinuating this, but I can’t blame Archie for not going on Dakich. Seemed like he was brutal toward him from the jump. 

DD can be a tool, and he was a tool from the jump about Archie.

I'm guessing he'll be on his best behavior though, like he always is when Ballard is on.

I know we're in March and living in the moment, so getting some young coach that has had recent deep tournament runs feels exciting. But take a step back and think about it. As a recruit would you rather play for someone who has experience coaching the Loyala Ramblers or a former head coach for the New York Knicks?

I feel like we should have a pretty good sense of how this is likely to work out pretty quickly. Between the current transfer frenzy and the '22 class committing in the fall, we should see how the recruiting materializes pretty soon. I have no doubt Woodson can develop and coach, so he'll live or die by his recruiting success.

If the '21 and '22 classes are duds, we're in trouble. If they are top 10-20, watch out.

2 minutes ago, DoddsHouse said:

The minimum expectation for IU every year should be to make the tournament. 

Bonus points for:

-beat Purdue

-winning conference record

Agree. I hope he gets a good staff, keeps our top guys, and lands a nice transfer or two. If so, tournament should be the expectation no doubt. Him getting off to a good start is going to be critical. Can’t have another 18-16 type of season.

We have an IU guy now!  Either this will work ( Please lets hope so), or it won't. Then the IU guys can stop with the it has to be an IU guy stuff!  I think him being tied to the NBA, being an IU guy, and dare I say, him being black, is kind of a big deal.  Jesus, please let this work, for the love of your father!

His initial team meeting looks like it's going to start around 7:30.  Really wouldn't expect to hear anything from players in the portal for several days.  Probably be a lot of private player conversations that will take place before we learn who's staying in and who's pulling out.

10 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

If they actually, I hope they stay away if Coach is successful

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Give it a rest already. People are allowed to have an opinion and be right or wrong about their opinion. This “they should stay away” shtick has gotten old extremely quick. 

3 hours ago, Treesh said:

I never mentioned Archie Miller but I strongly believe Archie knows quite a bit of NBA front office personnel. I mean, that's common sense sir. Woodson knows more for sure since he's been in the league the entire life, that's common sense as well. But will it pay off? Kids want to play for an old fart that hasn't won in the NBA?

Musselman hasn't won in the NBA and is only 7 years younger. Kids seem to want to play for him

17 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Not sure if you were insinuating this, but I can’t blame Archie for not going on Dakich. Seemed like he was brutal toward him from the jump. 

He was.  But it does help to at least try to win the local media over.  Archie's is a low key type of individual and when you aren't winning, low key tends to get translated into low energy and not caring.  Need to let the media show you care, and part of that is taking interviews.

3 minutes ago, DoddsHouse said:

I know we're in March and living in the moment, so getting some young coach that has had recent deep tournament runs feels exciting. But take a step back and think about it. As a recruit would you rather play for someone who has experience coaching the Loyala Ramblers or a former head coach for the New York Knicks?

And not a college retread!  An NBA retread!  I think it will matter, but who knows?  I think Mike wants to be here and knows what IU basketball should be.  That is enough for me to get behind! 

I know some are mad because their parents didn't get them a snickers blizzard, but at least you got some damn ice cream!

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

Is Larry Brown to old to be an assistant?

I just got home and saw the news.  Did you see any of this coming?  Not to put you on the spot and I'm sure you have been asked 100 times.  Just haven't been through 45 pages yet.