Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

Just now, Treesh said:

I do like that it’s six years and not seven years. I’ll give Scott that so far with Indiana Basketball. 

If the assistants pan out, then I’m right. If not, I’m dead wrong. But I do believe he is setting this thing up for the long haul.

5 minutes ago, Hooserfan1901 said:

If I remember right, Goodman wasn't all that impressed when UM hired Howard.

I'm optimistic about this, could Woodson fail, of course, but many people's initial reaction to Archie was positive and look how that turned out.  At least Woodson knows IU basketball and cares about this program.  Matta in the fold is a definite plus.  I'll be curios to see how his staff shakes out, he is obviously connected to some great former NBA players that could be added to the staff.  Although I expect at least one other former IU player on staff.

2 hours ago, Treesh said:

I don't like this argument of him knowing the NBA. All power 5 college coaches knows the NBA coaches, scouts, GM's, it's basic networking. 

To clarify this, all power five coaches do to an extent.

All power five coaches do not have a personal relationship with some of the biggest NBA names and personally coached them. 

1 minute ago, NOLA Hoosier said:

Dolson’s playing chess, not checkers.

This is my feel on this too. Going with all the flavor of the day regurgitated options would have been the SOP. CMW with one hell of a supporting staff, both above and below, has more of a truly cerebral thought process to it. I've often said that there were more causation of our failures due to IU Admin above the coach. I feel good about Matta (or someone like him) to address my concerns. 

I don't have any doubt Woody will get more out of players than Archie did. 
BUT 
Will he actually be able to recruit players who are any good? 
Can he lead them to victories -- that's the bottom line?

Archie seemed to recruit well, at least initially. He did not develop or coach so well but we have a good collection of 4* and some 5* kids. What did Archie have that Woody doesn’t have.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, Mohepa said:

Reading through the posts, I realize how dumb I am.  I thought hiring an IU legend, with unimpeachable basketball knowledge,a solid career coaching at the highest level, and someone that would walk barefoot across glass for the job was a good thing.  I am sure glad all of you experts cleared it up for me.  

no reason to wait until he actually coaches a game.  Let’s get the fire mike Woodson website going tonight.  

Oh we’ll have a thread by mid January! 

2 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I don't have any doubt Woody will get more out of players than Archie did. 

BUT 

Will he actually be able to recruit players who are any good? 

Can he lead them to victories -- that's the bottom line?

Winning is everything...no doubt. But I was looking at it from a slightly different angle.

Should CMW try to retain guys in the transfer portal? Maybe they need to sell him, (not him sell them) by showing him, how they CAN play. I'm not sure we want to keep the entire roster in check. There probably are a few guys that need to be gone. (not saying who. That's for CMW to decide)

If the transfer market is half what everyone believes it will be, it might make sense to revamp the roster asap. Just a thought.

3 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

The worst part about this hire, Is since we hired one of our own IU guys, it will take that much longer to get rid of him if he fails.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

How so?