Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

I'm not thrilled with the hire, but I'm talking myself into it... Recruiting worries me a bit. I think he can probably be a decent recruiter based off of the NBA experience, but he needs some assistants to help there since he's never done it.

As a coach though, he seems good. He was an elite offensive coach in the NBA. His Hawks teams were great on offense but the end. His Knicks team led the league in Offensive Rating and was one of the early teams in the 3 point revolution. He was an assistant with the Clippers under Doc, and they had great offensive teams.

Who knows how it'll work out. It's not inspiring, but I think it could work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Banksyrules said:

This is very sad if true.  I’m in the belief that with the right hire anything can change. This one leaves me in doubt.  I hope it works out because I love IU but there are just so many questions on the table. 

I agree. Winning cures all. If his players like him and buy in, who knows. I can’t do anything about it, so I’m just going to roll with it. Hope for the best, expect the worst. Trust in the flow of things.

I told y’all I was gonna be Bill Walton about it

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

I’m guessing it will be a zoom meeting. I’m going to get you into a practice this fall to show you this is a good hire. Deal?

This is true. I have no doubt about the man’s ability to coach the technical aspect to these players. I have major doubts about his ability to bring in the athletes to come in and compete (not win ) for a national championship. 

4 minutes ago, Magisterium said:

for Fife to come I would assume 1) he feels he's 2nd in line, not 1st, to replace Izzo and 2) he would get a similar title on Woody's staff

Fife is far from a sure thing (many think he is second choice) to follow Izzo.

If Fife wants to become a Power 5 head coach I think his best chances are to first get a mid-major type HC job or, if it’s available to him, an IU “coach in waiting” assistant arrangement.

5 minutes ago, Five Prime said:

In case you need a quick recap of the 2 decade slide for this program's coaching hires:

1) fire a HOF coach 

2) keep his lead assistant because the current players wanted him to stay 

3) hold onto Davis for 5 more years because he took Knights team to the cusp of a championship, but then followed it up with "help is on the way" and "just gotta get Bracey the ball"

4) Hire a high major final four caliber coach who is (now for sure) widely accepted as one of the best coaches in college basketball but quickly fire him for NCAA infractions which became allowed a couple years later.  Go on to blame it on culture and current players smoking pot.  

5) Hire a high major final four coach with a D Wade endorsement.  Find reasonable success but fire him because he is too inconsistent (ie: can't make deep enough runs in the tourney). 

6) Hire the next up and coming mid major coach with elite 8 experience.  One of a few names that year who were thought of as the hot up and coming coaches ready for the big stage.  Fire him because he can't field an above .500 conference team in 4 years 

7) Hire a 63 year old former player who has zero college coaching experience...ever.  

8) so what's the next hire going to be?  It's actually pretty terrifying

The butt hurt is strong in you lord vader

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Does Melo really impress recruits?   

I think they know Melo but I don’t think they know Melo for his good days. 

Time is flying. These kids were in elementary school when Melo was Top 3 in the league. 

6 minutes ago, Five Prime said:

4) Hire a high major final four caliber coach who is (now for sure) widely accepted as one of the best coaches in college basketball but quickly fire him for NCAA infractions which became allowed a couple years later.  Go on to blame it on culture and current players smoking pot.  

Five year show cause (repeat infractions) and it sure as hell wasn't pot that was the issue.

Does Melo really impress recruits?   

Yes for sure. Bill Simmons has mentioned many times how he thinks Melo is underrated and that players in the league have a much higher opinion of him than most fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Banksyrules said:

This is true. I have no doubt about the man’s ability to coach the technical aspect to these players. I have major doubts about his ability to bring in the athletes to come in and compete (not win ) for a national championship. 

This is where I'm at. Woodson clearly knows the game and how to win from an Xs and Os standpoint. The question is just whether he can parlay his NBA connections to recruit at a sufficient level to win here. If he can come in recruiting at even 80% of the level Penny Hardaway did at Memphis, he'll do fine.

That having been said, this isn't the hire I would have made. Gives me strong Ewing to Georgetown vibes.

If Stevens wasn't coming and Beard wasn't being talked to or is heading to Texas, I think this is as good a time as any to try the IU guy route. Oats and Musselman would have been really hard to pry away from their current situations.  My guess is it was probably this, Moser, or Beilein.  I'm willing to give it a shot.

I give the mods permission to ban my account. Really wanted to believe this program could still be big time and make a big time hire, but it looks like that time has passed. 

It's been real, guys. I've loved the community aspect of this forum, but I just don't think I have the stomach for IU basketball anymore if this is where we are now. 
So if he is indeed the hire and he is successful, you won't be back right?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk