Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

Look, gut reaction—I hated it. But despite his age, I’m coming around. I think several positives here:

1) he knows the NBA. He’s coached some good players and SHOULD be pushing their names and using those guys as recruiting tools.

2) he’s been successful in the nba. Was in staff with the 2004 nba champion Pistons. His Hawks team had a bette record every year he coached from 2004-2010.

3) he DOES know what it means to play for IU.

4) he is, and I say this with zero sarcasm and with 100% confidence that it will help, African American. I believe that WILL help offset some of his perceived recruiting shortfalls

5) he’s got Matta to help him navigate the rules of the NCAA and a true college basketball mind in his offices.

Now, I DO hope that he can bring in a dynamite staff to help him. He needs some younger guys and/or some really strong recruiters. I expect at least 1 IU guy to be on his staff.

We will see how it goes, but I’m going to support him

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Matta on the staff?

So we have a guy who has never coached college basketball or recruited
and a guy who can barely walk up stairs AND hasn't coached or recruited in 4 calendar years.......
Technically, if true, he would be above the head coach since he is associate AD

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Just now, Five Prime said:

So you all think any other power 5 school would seriously consider Mike Woodson as a head basketball coach?  Seriously, do you really?  

Not a chance. If it wasn't for his IU degree he wouldn't be hired. 

This is going to be risky. It's either an elite eight by 2025 or we have a Fire Woodson thread up that year. 

One thing is for sure. Indiana doesn't appear to be a great job anymore. Maybe Woodson makes it great. 

7 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I may be wrong, but it’s my understanding that assistant coaches do most of the legwork recruiting and head coaches come in to close the deal.

It depends.  But there certainly are cases where that is so.  Been a lot of guys decommit and follow their assistant coach when he gets a head gig.

2 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

I wonder if Woodson and Matta know each other. Seems like a lot of opportunity for disagreement in terms of coaching style, players to target, etc. 

Coaching style and players to target should 100% be Woodsons (or any head coach) decision. Matta will be helpful in various respects  but some (not saying you) seem to think Matta was hired to be a puppeteer.

2 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Technically, if true, he would be above the head coach since he is associate AD

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

He needs to get his butt on the recruiting trail and in the gym. He better not just be collecting insurance and paychecks LOL