Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

3 minutes ago, Treesh said:

I can respect this. I was overreacting when Archie was hired, I hated it. And obviously as everyone knows i'm the leading member of the Archie Miller Camp. 

It's going to take some time for me to buy in, if I do. We'll see. 

His personality makes me optimistic. His former players all seem to rave about him. A big part of recruiting is getting players to like you. I never got the sense that our players ever really liked Archie. If Archie has any kind of personality, he sure never showed it. Our football players love Tom Allen and we see how much fun they’re having. His personality totally turned the program around. Who knows, maybe Woody could do something similar here. 

I was totally against Woodson because of zero college experience but hopefully he can recruit at a high level and get kids to play hard. I guess we got our iu guy finally now we see what happens

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Brings one thing that we haven't seen and that is accountability. I doubt we seen fits and things that we have seen from players recently. Don't think we will see locker room issues that will go all season that affects what happens on the court. I think we will see well disciplined play on both sides of the ball.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

The more I digest this the more I like it.

I like the idea of Matta, who killed it recruiting in the state, heading recruiting efforts or at least being a conduit for Woody to his recruiting contacts in the state.

I like Woody's ties to the NBA, which is also a good selling point to recruits.

Not sure about his X's and O's ability but we will find out.  If we can get Lewis as Associate HC, this is looking really nice.

The ceiling for this is quite high IMO.

8 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

If Woodson was going to be the guy after Masshole day, why not make this move earlier in the week before the entire roster enters the portal? Not saying the players wouldn't have entered regardless, but why leave them floating in the wind without that information

Guessing it may have been about coordinating the Matta arrangement, probably needed an experienced sidekick to make Woodson a feasible option

Just now, IUFLA said:

1813300171_WoodyKnicks.thumb.PNG.127525d77d4866775c15f6a7cdbd1981.PNG

Here are the Knicks records for the past 23 years...See the 54 wins in 2012-13? See who the coach is?  That's the high water mark over that time period...and even in his last year, his 37 wins haven't been matched since...

That's more of the Knicks being dumb for blowing it up and firing him. That's also when Roy Hibbert was a starting NBA center. Times have changed. 

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

4 thoughts:

1. The hire an IU guy crowd gets their wish. They will be right or we can stop this rhetoric finally. Granted it’ll cost me 4-6 years of my life.

2. Thad Matta angle is certainly interesting. Seems like a positive no matter how it goes. It’s odd for Matta to agree to. Therefore, Probably getting overpaid. Can he provide ROI? Let’s see.

3. IU isn’t a blue blood anymore. It’s been up for debate for a while. This question is answered.

4. Probably a 6-8 year hire at best. Another chance at a premier coach at that time. Or more likely it’ll be the same old, same old. Maybe a coach in waiting situation if this group can be successful. Geez.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

As to #3 I agree to a degree. IU is a lot of expectations with little positive momentum making it less attractive, but I think the days of UK, Duke,  UNC  just plucking anyone are gone. Does Beard take Duke over Texas? Does Oates leave Bama for UNC? I don't thik so. The money at these programs will be there to retain a good coach. Name me a coach that left a successful P5  program for a blueblood without connection in the last 2 decades.

5 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

When Oklahoma and Texas hire their new coaches, we'll see if the Woodson/Matta decision was a reasonable shot in the dark or that we couldn't bring in the likes of Beard, Musselman, etc.

If Texas gets Beard it’s not a direct comparison, or reflection, on our coaching search.

Beard is a hot college coach that also happens to be a “Texas guy” and a Texas alum. 

Just now, Treesh said:

That's more of the Knicks being dumb for blowing it up and firing him. That's also when Roy Hibbert was a starting NBA center. Times have changed. 

He got fired when the Knicks brought in Phil Jackson and started hiring a succession of coaches with ties to the Lakers.