Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

6 minutes ago, mark1981 said:

Do NBA coaches have much to do with a team's success?  Appears to have more to do with roster and $ spent

I feel like a good NBA coach can get a team about a round deeper into the playoffs than their talent/roster would dictate, most through better and more consistent regular season record and therefore better playoff seeding. It’s something, but there is only so much they can do

2 minutes ago, ebridges24 said:

People need to realize this may have been the best we could get. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Yep.  Last two coaching fails really put the program in a bad spot.  Obviously not attractive to better options that are successful at their current location.  

Woodson must have two good recruiting classes or it's going to get ugly quick

Yeah, seems like a lot of guys are acting like they were a fly on the wall.  Also seem to have a crystal ball as well.
We've done mid major guy, we've done the guy moving from a power 5, we've done the bringing in a coach that played in the gray/black.  None of those ended well.

Well the Sampson era could have ended well if IU acted in the same manner nearly every other CBB program does.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

4 thoughts:

1. The hire an IU guy crowd gets their wish. They will be right or we can stop this rhetoric finally. Granted it’ll cost me 4-6 years of my life.

2. Thad Matta angle is certainly interesting. Seems like a positive no matter how it goes. It’s odd for Matta to agree to. Therefore, Probably getting overpaid. Can he provide ROI? Let’s see.

3. IU isn’t a blue blood anymore. It’s been up for debate for a while. This question is answered.

4. Probably a 6-8 year hire at best. Another chance at a premier coach at that time. Or more likely it’ll be the same old, same old. Maybe a coach in waiting situation if this group can be successful. Geez.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Seems like there were 10 candidates -- some realistic, some not -- and everyone picked their horse and considered every other horse to be an utter failure.

When Oklahoma and Texas hire their new coaches, we'll see if the Woodson/Matta decision was a reasonable shot in the dark or that we couldn't bring in the likes of Beard, Musselman, etc.

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I’m not either. I think this is a giant risk. I made it clear who I wanted. If we could’ve gotten one of those guys but didn’t then it’s pretty disappointing. But, maybe none of them wanted the job. We had to hire someone, and I’m very glad it wasn’t the mid major flavor of the month.  Thad Matta was a guy I really wanted, and he’s coming here in some capacity. I think the hire could work. Woodson doesn’t strike me as a guy who’s going to **** around or put up some of the crap that Archie did from his players. Woodson’s been coaching grown men for 26”5 years.  He’s not going to let teenage kids disrespect him. I’m warming up to the hire. At least we have our guy and can get to work. 

I can respect this. I was overreacting when Archie was hired, I hated it. And obviously as everyone knows i'm the leading member of the Archie Miller Camp. 

It's going to take some time for me to buy in, if I do. We'll see. 

The longer I think, I guess the more I’m talking myself into it if he can get a really good staffFife/Lewis+Hunter(which could help with our current rosters decisions to stay or go)+someone else. Idk. 

Ultimately the proof will be in the pudding. I’ll give him my support. 

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

4 thoughts:

1. The hire an IU guy crowd gets their wish. They will be right or we can stop this rhetoric finally. Granted it’ll cost me 4-6 years of my life.

2. Thad Matta angle is certainly interesting. Seems like a positive no matter how it goes. It’s odd for Matta to agree to. Therefore, Probably getting overpaid. Can he provide ROI? Let’s see.

3. IU isn’t a blue blood anymore. It’s been up for debate for a while. This question is answered.

4. Probably a 6-8 year hire at best. Another chance at a premier coach at that time. Or more likely it’ll be the same old, same old. Maybe a coach in waiting situation if this group can be successful. Geez.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I have the exact thought Wayne. You're not wrong.

We struck out on Scott Drew and Mussleman of all people (assumptions) WOW! 

I think there is a good chance we'll be looking for a new coach by 2025. 

1 minute ago, rcs29 said:

Gonna throw out a wild and unlikely idea. Go pay Beilein a HC salary to come and be an assistant

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Feels like a risk of too many cooks in the kitchen.

Let's get Chesney or Lewis as a splashy asst. coach hire.

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Duncomb followed this up with a reply to someone else who asked if the emoji meant "It's used to communicate a range of feelings, including smugness, self-confidence, self-indulgence, mischief, cheeky humor, and general satisfaction."

Duncomb said "the last one".

Glad he cleared it up.  I don't speak emoji