Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

4 minutes ago, mark1981 said:

Do NBA coaches have much to do with a team's success?  Appears to have more to do with roster and $ spent

It's a balance beam. You look at the MIami Heat and ask how the hell did they get to the finals. Spo is a hell of a coach I'd argue. But then you look at the Lakers and they have Lebron and AD so it just takes a somewhat okay coach on that end LOL

Just now, kreigh8 said:

If Woodson was going to be the guy after Masshole day, why not make this move earlier in the week before the entire roster enters the portal? Not saying the players wouldn't have entered regardless, but why leave them floating in the wind without that information

There needs to be some questions brought up for sure. Someone had to have turned us down within the past couple days who we were waiting for. 

Just now, ebridges24 said:

People need to realize this may have been the best we could get. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Yeah, seems like a lot of guys are acting like they were a fly on the wall.  Also seem to have a crystal ball as well.

We've done mid major guy, we've done the guy moving from a power 5, we've done the bringing in a coach that played in the gray/black.  None of those ended well.

3 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

The Matta as overlord role was 100% strategic. Leaves the 3 assistant jobs open. Essentially, you have a NBA coach with IU ties, and a borderline NCAA HOFer to guide him through the change from NBA to College. Its brilliant. The 3 assistants are almost assuredly going to be some strong combination of younger IU guys/coaches/recruiting experts. If you cannot or do not want to see the strategic planning with this, I dont know what to say. Maybe it fails, but the last six coaches have failed so I am not sure what we have to lose by going a little unconventional. 

That’s where I’m at. Stevens was the grand slam. A healthy matta at hc was the home run. Everything else carries significant risk. 

I’d rather go unconventional and look for upside.  There’s plenty here. Could fail miserably, but what the hay... that’s SOP for IU basketball for two decades anyways. 

1 minute ago, kreigh8 said:

If Woodson was going to be the guy after Masshole day, why not make this move earlier in the week before the entire roster enters the portal? Not saying the players wouldn't have entered regardless, but why leave them floating in the wind without that information

Who knows?   Perhaps other candidates were interviewed or there were negotiations. We will probably never know much about how the search progressed.

I’m so happy we got someone who would walk over glass to get to IU. Add Matta to help, get a good staff and we can get this ball rolling. Welcome home Woody. Can’t wait for the first practice.

This is a good point. Finally somebody who WANTS TO BE AT IU, not just happy because they’re getting paid more than their mid-major.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

2 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

Maybe they wanted to let them self purge the program, Self-Creaning is the new thing.

Just now, Hovadipo said:

What’s the argument going to be when everyone realizes that current players and prospects can think further than 6 inches in front of their face in regards to this hire?

Seems like there were 10 candidates -- some realistic, some not -- and everyone picked their horse and considered every other horse to be an utter failure.

11 minutes ago, Treesh said:

I'm not sold on his head coaching ability. He hasn't been a head coach in seven years. 

I’m not either. I think this is a giant risk. I made it clear who I wanted. If we could’ve gotten one of those guys but didn’t then it’s pretty disappointing. But, maybe none of them wanted the job. We had to hire someone, and I’m very glad it wasn’t the mid major flavor of the month.  Thad Matta was a guy I really wanted, and he’s coming here in some capacity. I think the hire could work. Woodson doesn’t strike me as a guy who’s going to **** around or put up with  some of the crap that Archie did from his players. Woodson’s been coaching grown men for 25 years.  He’s not going to let teenage kids disrespect him. I’m warming up to the hire. At least we have our guy and can get to work.