Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

I was totally against Woodson because of zero college experience but hopefully he can recruit at a high level and get kids to play hard. I guess we got our iu guy finally now we see what happens

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Matta is his Martelli

I don’t think the Woodson/Matta relationship will be the same as the Howard/Martelli combo.
Howard had never been a head coach while Woody was a NBA head coach for years. I just don’t think an experienced NBA head coach could be sold on having his hand held when it comes to coaching.
Help in other areas...yes.

6 minutes ago, Me So Hornsby said:

Here’s what really sells me on this. There are two parts to this hire. NBA experience and College experience. You have a respected NBA coach in Woodson and you have one of the more successful college coaches of the last 20 years.

That’s an easy sell to recruits and families that are looking to get to the league. This will be good

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I'd agree.  I'll add that it'd be really great if we can bolster the staff with CBB recruiting/coaching experience.

I'm not completely in love with it but the pairing with Matta is intriguing for me. Let's see what an NBA guy and a former elite recruiter can do with a once-in-a-lifetime transfer market to kickstart this thing. 
Bring in beilien to and have an an old man squad

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, DChoosier said:

I don’t think the Woodson/Matta relationship will be the same as the Howard/Martelli combo.
Howard had never been a head coach while Woody was a NBA head coach for years. I just don’t think an experienced NBA head coach could be sold on having his hand held when it comes to coaching.
Help in other areas...yes.

True -- and I think Howard needed more of a Martelli and Woodson more of a Matta.  Good call.

I know diddly about the role of associate AD (focusing on MBB).

Will Matta be able to interact with players regularly? Like during practice or during the off-season?

Will Matta be watching film and help to develop / offload the scouting challenge against other teams? If so, I'm hugely excited.

14 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

He is a longtime NBA head coach. I would be surprised if Dolson told him he was going to bring in Matta to help game plan.
 This isn’t a home run (ie Brad) but when looking at his NBA record don’t forget he was the head coach of 2 of the most mis-managed, crappy organizations in the NBA. Phil Jackson, as an example, couldn’t do squat with the Knicks and Woody was not exactly put in an ideal situation there.

We should schedule our home opener against ISU. If we can stay within 10 points it will already show improvement over Archies results...LOL

I just got done reading an article on the pros of MW. I'm liking him more and more.

I'm searching on TM's style now.

Overall, I'm very happy that we've checked the box. Yes, I would have preferred Stevens. Everyone would. But I'm liking this more and more as I continue to dig on the two.

9 minutes ago, tomallenfan1 said:

At least they didn’t hire Alford.... right guys?

Worse, Alford at least has a winning record as a coach and is under 60. 

Nostalgia hire without any real path to success.....yay. This doesn't even feel like Dolson settled, it feels like he lost a bet on how to scuttle IU's basketball program for the next decade. FAIL. 

1 minute ago, HoosierTrav said:

Kids want to play for a coach and staff that can get them to the NBA. Woodson can deliver a pretty damn compelling message to a recruit and his parents. If they want to make it to the league and get paid, they are sitting across the table of a guy that just spent every day, for decades, drafting, developing, and coaching nba players. He freaking has Thad Matta as a virtual GM. We haven’t announced the other 3 coaches who could be massive names. You’re a 5* recruit who wants to get drafted and youre sitting across the table from Chris Beard or Mike Woodson.... Who you listening to? Be honest. 

Well kids may know Texas Tech and Chris Beard since they were in the national championship game a second ago. Woodson hasn't been a head coach since 2014 and the current recruits were in elementary school then. LOL

He can sell them on knowing the NBA and knowing this player and that player. That's cool and all but as I mentioned, most these coaches know the same GM's and scouts. Woodson can say "I know every scout, they're coming to our practices". Yeah most Scouts coming to Indiana practices and games regardless who the coach is lol. It's common practice.

This remaining staff will determine if he even has a chance with recruiting. Thad isn't going to be recruiting besides back channels so..