Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Matta won't be able to recruit or coach, even in practice, in his role. 

Im almost certain I remember seeing Bill Comar on the bench during our games, who is our current associate AD for basketball.

Unless there was another bald guy on staff I’m not aware of (Not Clif Marshall)

Is this accurate?

3 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

You guys tell me Woodson is better than waiting on Musselman, Oats, or taking Beard if possible

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Maybe, the guys you mentioned were contacted to guage their interest and it wasn't reciprocal.  There were 2 grand slams and maybe 5 realistic home runs out there. 

I'd have absolutely preferred one of those, but if they weren't interested I'll take this approach over going for the mid-major or current assistants with limited/no head coaching success.  NO coach is a guarantee, and the ones closest to it would have been unlikely anyway.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Really comes down to how well you can recruit, imo. Can Woodson land top 10-20 classes? If he can we’re in good shape. You can win a lot of games if your guys are just better than your opponent’s. 

I don’t even care about the class ranking. If he gets guys who can actually play I’m fine with it. 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Really comes down to how well you can recruit, imo. Can Woodson land top 10-20 classes? If he can we’re in good shape. You can win a lot of games if your guys are just better than your opponent’s. 

This, it’s about getting top recruits here.  I would think Woody would be a hit with the parents.  I don’t see him coming across as the car salesman type. 

I suspect Matta was offered the job but had reservations about his health so we made a place for him. I'm not excited in any way about Woodson getting the job...but I hope I am wrong. I wasn't excited about Archie (I wanted Chris Mack), but I became an Archie Miller fan because he coached my team. I will feel the same way about Woodson.

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I'm not sold on his head coaching ability. He hasn't been a head coach in seven years. 

15 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

To me, hiring Woody and Matta is sorta like the same thing. 

Don't get me wrong, as I said -- I like Thad, and he would've near the top of the list if healthy, but unless we hire a Michael Lewis or similar assistant who can be more involved than an associate AD, I don't get it. 

As far as I know, Matta won't be able to recruit ... 

Runs deeper than just what you see on the surface. Matta knows the college game. His role likely will be to help Woodson transition from the pros to college. There's a lot for him to get hold of making that transition. Having a seasoned veteran like Matta makes that transition a heck of a lot smoother. NCAA rules and regs, recruiting landscape, and on and on...