Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

Just now, Papacap said:

So, college coaches know the NBA, even if they never worked in the NBA. But an NBA coach doesn’t know college?

I meant it as networking. He said Mike Woodson knows the entire NBA. Okay, no big deal. College coaches in P5's know them as well. LOL

2 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

I have no interest in the NBA, but that's what interests young players today so there's that.  If the top recruits want to play in the NBA, and play in a system that is like and prepares them for the NBA, a veteran NBA player and coach makes sense.

I don't know how well it will translate, but Dakich claimed the previous staff did little to no instruction on shooting - Woodson was a damn fine mid-range shooter.  Hopefully he can teach the skill.

For 4 years we couldn't hit water if we fell out of a boat, so the bolded isn't much of a secret.

4 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

So, the biggest problem I see with Mike Woodson is that he has never recrui...

What's that? Thad Matta? The guy that ripped the heart of Indiana talent to Colombus, that Thad Matta?

He is going to be what?

Nevermind.

But Matta won't be recruiting ... 

11 minutes ago, Southside said:

He knows the MW, knows IN, knows recruiting, and likely can do most things an assistant can, just not travel on recruiting. And he's a good coach that can help Woodson with prep/gameplan/scouting, etc.

He is a longtime NBA head coach. I would be surprised if Dolson told him he was going to bring in Matta to help game plan.
 This isn’t a home run (ie Brad) but when looking at his NBA record don’t forget he was the head coach of 2 of the most mis-managed, crappy organizations in the NBA. Phil Jackson, as an example, couldn’t do squat with the Knicks and Woody was not exactly put in an ideal situation there.

We should schedule our home opener against ISU. If we can stay within 10 points it will already show improvement over Archies results...LOL

11 minutes ago, Treesh said:

I fully agree. We now have full evidence that the media has been right. Indiana isn't a job anymore.

Let's be honest here, this guy wouldn't even be considered if he didn't play here. 

On the other hand, you could also say that Woodson wouldn't even consider coming back to college unless he could coach at Indiana.

Just now, Treesh said:

I meant it as networking. He said Mike Woodson knows the entire NBA. Okay, no big deal. College coaches in P5's know them as well. LOL

Agree there. And I get the concern about lack of college experience. I just think the way the college game is going, this approach makes sense. 

I give the mods permission to ban my account. Really wanted to believe this program could still be big time and make a big time hire, but it looks like that time has passed. 

It's been real, guys. I've loved the community aspect of this forum, but I just don't think I have the stomach for IU basketball anymore if this is where we are now. 

27 minutes ago, dreachon said:

Can we get Michael Lewis to come on as assistant coach too?

This whole time Dolson wasn't talkign to just one guy, he was building an entire departmental overhaul for IU basketball. This sounds very exciting. 

This is organization building 101 — like it

I don’t dislike the hire but this is a disappointing result. With the resources at our disposal, we could have made a bigger splash. I still don’t think Woodson would be on the list if he wasn’t a former player. 

Fan apathy is at an all-time high after some truly irrelevant basketball the last 5 years or so. If this hire fails, I don’t know where IU basketball will be. People will just stop watching. 

Huge risk by Dolson. If this hire fails then it could be REALLY ugly four years from now. Imagine an IU guy getting booed in AH. But if it succeeds, then Dolson will be looked back on as a genius

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

That confuses me too. He’s going to be an assistant to Scott. I don’t really understand. We’ll see how it plays out
In SD's press conference he mentioned finding someone as a CEO of sorts for the basketball program and made it sound that'd be in addition to the coach. Maybe this was his plan all along?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Bowhunter said:

You guys tell me Woodson is better than waiting on Musselman, Oats, or taking Beard if possible

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

OK. Hiring Woodson is better than waiting in Musselman, Oats or beard.

Edited by Papacap