Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Your assuming that we got stuck with a former player because everybody else said no.  

For 3 straight hires big donors cried for somebody related to Knight. Well they finally got their wish. 

Good luck getting rid of a former player and Knight guy when it doesn’t work out. We are stuck with him. 

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

Your assuming that we got stuck with a former player because everybody else said no.  

For 3 straight hires big donors cried for somebody related to Knight. Well they finally got their wish. 

I mean come on.. The Drews, Beards, Musslemans, Oat had to have said no. Hell, even Matta had to have said no right!?

We're hiring a guy who has a losing career record and hasn't coached or recruited college basketball. That doesn't happen at "basketball" schools. 

Just now, Bowhunter said:

I don’t get hiring Matta if he’s not coaching or recruiting

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

He knows the MW, knows IN, knows recruiting, and likely can do most things an assistant can, just not travel on recruiting. And he's a good coach that can help Woodson with prep/gameplan/scouting, etc.

26 minutes ago, FightFor6 said:

Hope for the best. If this fails, I don't want to hear from the "IU Guy" crowd for the rest of time. 

Actually a smart hire! If it goes well and Woody passes his duties to a Lewis or Fife, then we get our program back on OUR track. If it doesn't work out, then the University can say 'Hey we tried to appease a large number of our fan base but the Knight days are over. Time to move on. You guys were wrong.'

1 minute ago, Hoosier Guy said:

That confuses me too. He’s going to be an assistant to Scott. I don’t really understand. We’ll see how it plays out

He will basically be an assistant coach that won’t count against the assistants we can have. Smart move, this part I really like.

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

I mean come on.. The Drews, Beards, Musslemans, Oat had to have said no. Hell, even Matta had to have said no right!?

We're hiring a guy who has a losing career record and hasn't coached or recruited college basketball. That doesn't happen at "basketball" schools. 

I’m not saying your wrong. I just think we were stupid and fixated on former player 

2 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

We will find out soon but I think this hire is huge.  Matta essentially a GM and Woodson having every NBA contact imagineable, means we should be able to recruit right away. Young men will absolutely sit and listen when Coach Woodson speaks. I’m excited. Thad Matta in the program and we still have 3 coaching positions to fill. Bet they are beasts. 

I don't like this argument of him knowing the NBA. All power 5 college coaches knows the NBA coaches, scouts, GM's, it's basic networking. 

1 minute ago, IUguy77 said:

Good luck getting rid of a former player and Knight guy when it doesn’t work out. We are stuck with him. 

I see it the opposite. He's older so he'll just "retire" when the pitchforks come out. Matta hire is huge as will be his assistants. 

32 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

That's fair, just seems odd. I truly hope Woodson can find his own Martelli to put on his staff. My fear with Woodson all along was just the lack of experience with the college game - it still basketball, but recruiting is a different beast

Matta is his Martelli