Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

Just now, Me So Hornsby said:

I think we keep TJD, Frankin, and Lander

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think we'll keep everyone we want except Race, who I think just wants to get closer to home. TJD might be tough, but I like our chances.

11 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Matta on the staff?

So we have a guy who has never coached college basketball or recruited

and a guy who can barely walk up stairs AND hasn't coached or recruited in 4 calendar years.......

Still better than keeping Miller.

11 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Matta on the staff?

So we have a guy who has never coached college basketball or recruited

and a guy who can barely walk up stairs AND hasn't coached or recruited in 4 calendar years.......

Matta was hired to make Woodson look young.

In all seriousness, Matta definitely improves the situation somewhat in my eyes. He's definitely connected and knows WTF he's doing at the college level.

5 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

giphy.gif

I like Thad Matta, and would've been fine if we hired him as HC if he were completely healthy. 

But I'm also very ignorant. I just don't see what bringing him on as an associate AD does. 

Helps Woodson make the transition from pros to college is the main thing as I see it. Matta can advise him and help him learn the monster that is the NCAA.

5 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

giphy.gif

I like Thad Matta, and would've been fine if we hired him as HC if he were completely healthy. 

But I'm also very ignorant. I just don't see what bringing him on as an associate AD does. 

Probably to help Woodson transition to college, and help him navigate and align on recruiting and schematic plans

As a middle school kid, I shot baskets in the driveway pretending to play with Woodson.  I can appreciate what he means to IU's history.  I welcome him back to IU, and wish him a lot of success,

That being said this whole thing perplexes me.  If I were going after a former player with NBA experience I liked a Keith Smart hire better, but that is only a matter of degree.  I think this goes to show you that IU is no longer a top tier destination.  If Woodson was choice A, B, or C.  I think this deal would have been done a while ago.  

As someone who has talked about how my apathy to this program has grown over the last 5 or 6 years, for me this doesn't do anything at all to build excitement.  The only thing I am excited about in regards to college BB now, is hoping without much hope that someone is going to knock off Gonzaga. 

4 minutes ago, Southside said:

I think we'll keep everyone we want except Race, who I think just wants to get closer to home. TJD might be tough, but I like our chances.

I'd be more inclined to say Geronimo is the one who won't return.  His "farewell tweet" sounded pretty final.

The only player whose parents might be familiar with MW could be the Franklins - but I don't know if they've lived in Indy that long.