Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

@Stuhoo shared an interesting video of a Mike Woodson practice the other day. It was only a few minutes long but it made me hate the idea less than I was hating it at the time. I still don't love it. I think it's an enormous risk for IU. 

Here are some cons: He's older - just turned 63. He's never coached at any level in college, and he's never recruited in his life. His record as a head coach in the NBA is pretty underwhelming. 

Here are some pros: 25+ years of coaching experience in the NBA. His players speak highly of him. He's a black man from Indianapolis who will be able to relate to players on a level a guy like Beilein never would be able to relate to them on. He loves IU, so he's taking the job because he wants it, not because it's a pay raise or a step up from what he had before (though it's both of those things too). He is able to get on his players without screaming in their faces. 

My initial reaction when I saw Woodson emerge as a candidate last week was WTF. After letting it sit in for a week, I'm still not excited if I'm being completely honest. But, we tried something new and maybe it'll pay off. 

For a guy that wanted a big-name hire that is the most informed, balanced response you could possibly have.

Kudos.

2 minutes ago, Papacap said:

I think that people saying recruits won’t know who Woodson is is overblown. They will know as soon as he is named coach. And Woody will be able to talk to recruits about how he has developed NBA players.

We will see. But I like putting Woodson up against Painter in developing relationships with recruits.

Yeah recruiting is not a one time deal. Wow I know you I will commit but a series of discussions where you build a relationship with the staff. Woody seems to excel in this area.  How many times do you hear a kid say i have developed a great relationship with coach