Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

rcbowla

Top 3 favorite dunkers

18 minutes ago, Woodson1980 said:

How any list of all time IU dunkers can omit Ray Tolbert is beyond my comprehension!

You young fellas need to watch some  some pre 2000 film.

I think so too.

One thing some younger fans might no know is that dunking was prohibited in college/HS for a while (from 1967-1976 in CBB).  

I remember occasions when HS teams got technical fouls before a game even tipped off because a player dunked in warm-ups.

5 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

I think so too.

One thing some younger fans might no know is that dunking was prohibited in college/HS for a while (from 1967-1976 in CBB).  

I remember occasions when HS teams got technical fouls before a game even tipped off because a player dunked in warm-ups.

I'm pretty sure dunking in warm ups wasnt allowed until recently. Even in college. At least when the refs were on the court. 

12 minutes ago, WI Hoosier said:

I can not believe that I went through 3 pages and not one single mention of Dr. J. He was the first and maybe the best to bring style to dunking... and I thought us IU fans were supposed to have high basketball IQ. SMH

Erving - Dr J - the Claw was one of my favorites as a kid, but we’re talking 1970’s-80s, it’s just time, I mean that was like 40-plus years ago! Crazy how time flies, as a kid I used to run around the court with the ABA red white and blue ball pretending to be Dr J.

But in fairness dunking has developed with the game over decades, there are all kinds of amazing dunkers now, and I’ve yet to see anyone who, for me, tops “half man half amazing” Vince Carter. His explosion to the rim was just out of this world. 

23 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Erving - Dr J - the Claw was one of my favorites as a kid, but we’re talking 1970’s-80s, it’s just time, I mean that was like 40-plus years ago! Crazy how time flies, as a kid I used to run around the court with the ABA red white and blue ball pretending to be Dr J.

But in fairness dunking has developed with the game over decades, there are all kinds of amazing dunkers now, and I’ve yet to see anyone who, for me, tops “half man half amazing” Vince Carter. His explosion to the rim was just out of this world. 

Another pretty old-school dunker was David Thompson.  He had a "cradle the baby" dunk that was revolutionary at the time where he put the ball in the crook of his arm and got above the rim then dunked it out of his bend arm with the other hand.

1 hour ago, WI Hoosier said:

I can not believe that I went through 3 pages and not one single mention of Dr. J. He was the first and maybe the best to bring style to dunking... and I thought us IU fans were supposed to have high basketball IQ. SMH

I had Dr J on my list

Dr.J
Kemp
Jordan

Vic
Andre Harris ( watched him take off 2 feet behind the free throw line at camp.)

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners