Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

rcbowla

Top 3 favorite dunkers

Just something fun and different from coaching threads.

Who are your 3 favorite dunkers of all time regardless of team/level?

Who are your 3 favorite IU dunkers?

Overall:

1) Shawn Kemp

2) Dominique Wilkins

3) Antonio McDyess

IU:

1) Victor Oladipo

2) Marco Killings worth

3) Alan Henderson

Guess I'm a sucker for power dunkers lol

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Just something fun and different from coaching threads.

Who are your 3 favorite dunkers of all time regardless of team/level?

Who are your 3 favorite IU dunkers?

Overall:

1) Shawn Kemp

2) Dominique Wilkins

3) Antonio McDyess

IU:

1) Victor Oladipo

2) Marco Killings worth

3) Alan Henderson

Guess I'm a sucker for power dunkers lol

1. Shaq

2. Dwight Howard

3. Vince

IU

1. OG

2. Oladipo

3. Zeller

I like the power dunkers myself

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

1. Shaq
2. Dwight Howard
3. Vince

IU
1. OG
2. Oladipo
3. Zeller

I like the power dunkers myself

Didn't even think of OG. He could probably take Henderson's place. I'd give an honorable mention to Sheehey also.

Didn't even think of OG. He could probably take Henderson's place. I'd give an honorable mention to Sheehey also.

I would probably have Dj white and Eric Gordon to round out a top five

IU 

1.Oladipo

2. Eric Gordon

3. Steve Hart bf he transferred I was young like 7 and my family had season tickets and I thought he was a great dunker and just amazing haha. 

Big George McGinnis could probably throw down some monsters way back at IU  

NBA 

1. Vince Carter 

2. Jason Richardson (MSU) 

3. Spud Webb I mean the guy was so tiny 

Theres so many in the NBA it’s hard to choose but I’ll never forget a couple of those dunk contests back in the day with Carter and Richardson etc. Amari could also throw down some monsters back in his prime and Deandre Jordan. I could go on all day probably. Great thread though! 

Edited by Indiana8585

I would probably have Dj white and Eric Gordon to round out a top five

Yeah you do like power dunkers as well. Not sure how familiar you are with Kemp but he was one of the most ferocious dunkers ever but his path to the rim was silky smooth.

IU 
1.Oladipo
2. Eric Gordon
3. Steve Hart bf he transferred I was young like 7 and my family had season tickets and I thought he was a great dunker and just amazing haha. 

NBA 
1. Vince Carter 
2. Jason Richardson (MSU) 
3. Spud Webb I mean the guy was so tiny 
Theres so many in the NBA it’s hard to choose but I’ll never forget a couple of those dunk contests back in the day with Carter and Richardson etc. Amari could also throw down some monsters back in his prime and Deandre Jordan. I could go on all day probably. Great thread though! 
Steve Hart and Spud Webb are good one's also. 5'7" dude just out there winning dunk contests.

Just now, rcs29 said:

Steve Hart and Spud Webb are good one's also. 5'7" dude just out there winning dunk contests.

Incredible I only saw highlights later but I just thought there’s no way that little guy is dunking and boom. 

Incredible I only saw highlights later but I just thought there’s no way that little guy is dunking and boom. 
Yep. Not sure how often he dunked in game because I was still kind of young but I remember his teammate Dominique dunking and he was freaking awesome too. And you're right there are so many from the NBA and some with just some great individual dunks that wow you.

Can't have a list of top IU dunkers without Ray Tolbert.  Oladipo as well.  Zeller, DJ White and Dean Garret could throw it down as well.  This Trace Jackson-Davis kid ain't too shabby either.  Okay, that's more than three, math is hard!

Can't have a list of top IU dunkers without Ray Tolbert.  Oladipo as well.  Zeller, DJ White and Dean Garret could throw it down as well.  This Trace Jackson-Davis kid ain't too shabby either.  Okay, that's more than three, math is hard!
It is tough to get just 3. Too young to know about Tolbert's dunking prowess.

1 minute ago, rcs29 said:

Yep. Not sure how often he dunked in game because I was still kind of young but I remember his teammate Dominique dunking and he was freaking awesome too. And you're right there are so many from the NBA and some with just some great individual dunks that wow you.

I agree he probably needed a breakaway for any game dunks. Ya I didn’t even think of Dominique but you’re right he was on another level when it came to finishing strong at the rim. 

1. Darnell Hillman, neck and neck with Dr. J

2. Darrell Dawkins (aka Chocolate Thunder or "Zondukan") just because of the power & violent quality

3. Spud Webb.  I mean, HOLY SHET!

Ray Tolbert seemed to have this turbo mode where he got to a certain elevation then rose up and back before slamming in through.

P.S. I'm old enough that in my early years the preferred term was a "stuff shot".

1. Darnell Hillman, neck and neck with Dr. J
2. Darrell Dawkins (aka Chocolate Thunder or "Zondukan") just because of the power & violent quality
3. Spud Webb.  I mean, HOLY SHET!

Ray Tolbert seemed to have this turbo mode where he got to a certain elevation then rose up and back before slamming in through.
P.S. I'm old enough that in my early years the preferred term was a "stuff shot".
It seems the rims before the 90's didn't really give the full impact of a dunk. Also they were much more sticklers for hanging on the rim back then weren't they?

Thinking more about individual dunks:

1) Carter over Frederic Weis

2) Shaq over Chris Dudley

3) Jerome Lane shattering the board 

Kemp over Felton Spencer for honorable mention 

In game? Watching Zion yam on people is about as fun as it gets. Blake Griffin in his prime for LAC was something else. Giannis gliding to the basket in one dribble and 2 steps from halfcourt is pretty great too. 

In a contest, I could watch Zach LaVine’s contest dunks on a loop for days on end. He just floats. 

Thinking more about individual dunks:
1) Carter over Frederic Weis
2) Shaq over Chris Dudley
3) Jerome Lane shattering the board 
Kemp over Felton Spencer for honorable mention 
Who was the dude that launched over another player?I feel like Craig Ehlo was involved but can't remember honestly. Do you know what I'm talking about? Coolest looking dunk in game I think I've ever seen

1 hour ago, rcs29 said:

It seems the rims before the 90's didn't really give the full impact of a dunk. Also they were much more sticklers for hanging on the rim back then weren't they?

Yep.  There was a rash of broken backboards that gave rise to the breakaway rims used today.  I suspect the rims are more forgiving today because of that.