Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierBoiler

What are the qualifications to be IU coach

1)who have they learned from?(hopefully learned from some good coaches)

2)give me evidence of success (examples from prior jobs)

3)How will you bring IU into modern basketball (new ideas) what kind of style will you be playing 

4)Recruiting(relationship with in state coachesAAU etc/what is you 4 year plan?)

5) Why is IU different?

1) Proven power 5 winner with tournament success. Indiana has to win period. That's why I don't care if the coach we get is 44 or 68. I want to win. 

2) His teams peak in March. I can't remember the last Indiana team who peaked in March. 2002?

3) Personality that is bigger than the program. The program was bigger than Archie Miller. Crean was okay at first but he was weird at the end. 

4) A coach that can use the transfer portal. I really think that is an important piece in success in college basketball right now. At least it's trending that way. 

5) Able to develop players and get them to buy in the program. I can't stand it when IU loses a freshman or sophomore. Think Remy Abell. Get those players who don't play much as a freshman to buy in and get better. 

2 hours ago, Kentuckysucks said:

1. Be clean.  

2. Proven winner at the P5 level.  Meaning consistently making the dance.

3.  Under age 55.

4.  Extrovert personality but no weirdos.

5.  Solid recruiter.

Those are my  absolutes.

This describes Tom Crean.

1) Has no history of horrifically botching, lying about, or interfering in the handling of sexual assault cases involving his players;

2) is relatively clean at least within reason. Doesn't have to be a boy scout, but no Pitino types either;

3) is not just a mid-major flavor of the week. That doesn't necessarily mean no mid-major guys, just that they need to have had success deeper than just a fluke tourney run;

4) appreciates what this job is. That does NOT have to mean an IU Guy™, but just someone who sees this as a destination job and appreciates the challenge and privilege of coaching for this fanbase rather than seeing it as a burden. They don't have to publicly relish their job 24/7 as demonstrably as Tom Allen, but you should get a sense from hearing them speak that they're awed by what it means to coach here.

EDITED TO ADD: 

5) as far as on-court product, I'm not real hung up on style, as long as they can do one thing: actually MAKE ADJUSTMENTS. If something's not working, do what literally any other basketball coach on the planet would do and CHANGE what's not working. Flexibility, adaptability, and not letting pride cloud their judgement about what needs adjusting.

Edited by Vauxhall and IU
Forgot

My 5 would be...

1.doesn’t run packline defense 

2. when recruiting look for scorers that you can teach defense(not the other way around) try to score more than 60points a game.

3.Willing to move students next to floor and put names on jerseys etc.

4..Able to make in Game Coaching decisions, play a game that suits your players. Adapt if plan A doesn’t work 

5.Understand that this is a tough conference....But WE ARE ******* INDIANA UNIVERSITY! Play like your the best and expect to win every game.

(Would really go a long way if you had once bitten a Iowa player in a game or threw a ball off a guys face on a inbound play)

1- Final four multiple times 
2 - Clean
3 - Talent developer 
4 - strong recruiting 
5 - recent success 

Why does everyone want “clean”? Would “not overtly dirty” work? I don’t mind as long it’s not will wade of scott drew level of dirty

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Why does everyone want “clean”? Would “not overtly dirty” work? I don’t mind as long it’s not will wade of scott drew level of dirty

Again with Scott Drew? I’d love for him to bring top 5 classes to Indiana.

Sean Miller, Will Wade, Rick Stansbury, Pitino, Calipari, Izzo, Larranaga, McDermott, Coach K, Williams, Self, Mack, Brad Underwood (the entire SEC) and this list goes on and on. It’s a who’s who of winning teams.

I agree with your premise, I’d be happy with a coach that is good at every facet of the game. Play ‘within the accepted rules’. Win basketball games.

Indiana won’t allow it, and it’s a large part of why we are where we are.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

9 hours ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

I think it's more of a history of the NCAA and IU at this point. It wouldn't be a good look for us after Sampson. 

Perception is everything. 

5 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Uh Crean hasn't made the dance in like 5 years.  Missed it quite a bit actually at MU, IU, and GA.  He's also a weirdo.

I mean it described him when we hired him. He made the tournament or NIT more at Marquette than at Indiana. The weirdo part is true but that's one half of one of the five points.