Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Candidate Thread: Becky Hammon (San Antonio Spurs Assistant)

1 minute ago, AKHoosier said:

The only reason you know who she is is because she sits down to pee.

Of course the players say they love her, and I'm sure they do.  That isn't a reason to hire her though.

Not true. Greg Popovich is a great coach and he wouldn’t hire someone to be a token piece. 

5 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

OK this is just in fun -- no one thinks IU is pursuing her or that she's in any way in the running.

That said, she's absolutely legit, she got the job with the Spurs on her merit, she was the one they / Pop wanted, for good reason. She's excellent. She has the love and respect of the players. She's really good. Anyone thinking to the contrary has no knowledge here. But it's all in fun.

She’s looking to stay in the NBA. But as I’ve mentioned. I trust her over 90% of the names I’ve seen thrown out there. 

18 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

I’m arguing that she could be better than our second tier candidates. I’m trying to be be fair and honest. 

I'm not saying she isn't or couldn't be a good coach, I haven't seen her as I find the NBA about as enjoyable as an unanesthetized colonoscopy.  I know she was a great player in the WNBA and Pop really seems to like her.

5 minutes ago, Zachetology said:

Assistant coaches have no ultimate accountability. They can take credit for the successes and avoid responsibility for the failures. There is no report card.

Then that would rule out Dan Fife. I’m fine if we go by that context.

54 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

I’m arguing that she could be better than our second tier candidates. I’m trying to be be fair and honest. 

If we are being fair and honest, I don’t see recruits coming in to play for her at this point in time.  

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

If we are being fair and honest, I don’t see recruits coming in to play for her at this point in time.  

The only counter that I have is that if a recruit or the father of the recruit doesn’t give her a fair shake, they would have to then face the mamma. I’m Hispanic so I would rather take my chances in a bar fight then mess with my mom (it’s a family gather and kill thing).  But yes I agree that would be an obstacle.  

Surveys show that 98% of male athletes strongly prefer male coaches.   Female athletes prefer male coaches too, but by a very slim margin.   Becky may know basketball,  but that's not enough. 

Too big of a risk. Not because of her coaching and not (directly) because of her gender, but because of a raucous fan base and current societal climate. On the chance we hire her, Indiana University is, initially, a Men’s College Basketball and institutional trailblazer. We’ll be hailed for our progressive, equal opportunity hire. But the minute any player gives her behavior problems, we have a down recruiting year, or the idiot portion of our fan base (yes, every fan base has “those people”) starts derogatory behavior on the Twitter machine we are a prime target for unyielding scrutiny. Think we were under the microscope when Bob Knight left Bloomington in a blaze of glory? That could be a distant second place compared to today’s media coverage and social media blasts in the midst of the cancel culture movement. Should some major negative media targeting occur there’s no better way to keep a once-great program crippled.

And it’s a damn shame I even have to think about it that way. From everything I’ve read she sounds like a great basketball mind. I’d really like her to get her shot somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

6 hours ago, Maynard said:

Surveys show that 98% of male athletes strongly prefer male coaches.   Female athletes prefer male coaches too, but by a very slim margin.   Becky may know basketball,  but that's not enough. 

U got a link to this study? 98% seems really high. Half the males in this board don’t seem to mind. 

13 hours ago, Banksyrules said:

Not true. Greg Popovich is a great coach and he wouldn’t hire someone to be a token piece. 

He’s the exact type of coach to do that.  

Anyone wanting Becky Hammon over a guy like Woodson ought to have their head examined but only as a perfunctory step to the lobotomy. 

19 minutes ago, str8baller said:

He’s the exact type of coach to do that.  

Anyone wanting Becky Hammon over a guy like Woodson ought to have their head examined but only as a perfunctory step to the lobotomy. 

I met the man, he don’t play like that. If you can’t handle having a female coach that’s a u problem but I’m told by many former Tar Heels that she can coach. 

12 hours ago, Banksyrules said:

The only counter that I have is that if a recruit or the father of the recruit doesn’t give her a fair shake, they would have to then face the mamma.  

The recruits that people want IU to chase and get are ones with NBA aspirations. Mama, papa, brother, third cousin are all looking to cash in. Taking part in a social experiment will not be what most want to do. Female HC'ing will need to start at smaller D1 schools and, by success,  work it's way into major P5 programs. The first female CEO wasn't at IBM.  It might not be right, but this is how it will happen.

As a female I can tell you that when I logged in and saw this thread I just rolled my eyes and moved along at first.

Not because she can’t coach, as I’m sure P. Gasol is correct and she should be considered for any head coaching opening that come up in the PROS.  I fully hope and expect her to be a head coach VERY soon in the PROS.  

I have no interest in her just like I have no interest in K. Smart.  But then I find myself not against the idea of Woodson with the right assistant (M. Lewis) so I don’t know lol.  I’m sure that for any of you that have read my posts know I’m 100% Beilein (with Lewis or Fife).  So idk maybe I just like older men lol.

Statistically what percentage of high school boys in America are being raised by their mother only?  Maybe teams at a minimum should look at having more women around the program.  Sadly many aren't used to going from having no father/male figure, to only having a father/male figure.  

"The second most common family arrangement is children living with a single mother, at 23 percent." census.gov

1 hour ago, Banksyrules said:

If you can’t handle having a female coach that’s a u problem

Another reason not to hire her is having to put up with ridiculous missives like this. She’s not even remotely qualified, but anyone pointing that out “can’t handle a female coach.”  

Maybe she can take over for Ol Roy if your tarheel friends are so high on her. 

4 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Another reason not to hire her is having to put up with ridiculous missives like this. She’s not even remotely qualified, but anyone pointing that out “can’t handle a female coach.”  

Maybe she can take over for Ol Roy if your tarheel friends are so high on her. 

Well when u make baseless statements like your making then yeeeeeaaaaah maybe it’s warranted. Other posters have mentioned some logical concerns like the ability to recruit which sad but fair. You’re just posting for show without substance . By the way - IU undergrad - UNC MBA- IU law - I think I’m good at the IU department as well.