Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Coaching Candidate Thread: Calbert Cheaney

14 hours ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I think it’s been said he (and his wife) would have zero interest so it’s a moot point.

I was told that in the past, but I think he changed his mind recently. I think IU was just checking their boxes with him yesterday but I think he really wanted it. 

Is that a second interview, Chris? I know he said he had a call last night?

He mentioned it in other topic. Says he likes Jake but believes he is a day behind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Chris007 said:

There is a story to that. DM sometime if you want to know it. He had them set up to beat it. Crean's ego took over

Heard this one I believe. Crean basically crumpled up a Calbert’s plan and went with his own brain buster of a game plan. 

my only hang-up with CC as our coach is that i would be super-protective of him. Any smack talk would piss me off since he has this GOAT, as a player image in my mind. Does that make any sense? I just dont want to lose that image. He is the GOAT at Indiana and i want it to stay that way.

Just now, IUc2016 said:

@Chris007 if Calbert is the guy, is it safe to say your "inside knowledge" will be much easier to come by?

Yes I would hope so. Let's wait and see what happens. Would be scared since he has really never recruited. I couple of years at St. Louis and never been a head coach. He just recently moved to on the bench for the Pacers. 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Yes I would hope so. Let's wait and see what happens. Would be scared since he has really never recruited. I couple of years at St. Louis and never been a head coach. He just recently moved to on the bench for the Pacers. 

I know you just said “let’s wait and see”, but through your close friendship, any idea on who/what he would like in a staff? 

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

agreed, I still don't believe it will happen since there are much more qualified candidates and  think the media is just pushing the "IU guy" theme since that is who is known to have been interviewed

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

If Calbert, then pay Beilein whatever it takes to be his top assistant, and to be the equivalent of Martelli for Howard at Mich

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

It sounds like you're close to him. Have you ever had discussions in the past about him becoming a D1 HC? Not necessarily at IU, just in general. 

1 minute ago, HoosierKnight said:

I know you just said “let’s wait and see”, but through your close friendship, any idea on who/what he would like in a staff? 

No idea. I know he and Kenny Johnson were close when he was here but I don't think he would bring him in. 

I love Calbert, he is one of my all time favorite players.  I just worry about his lack of experience coaching and the possibilty of things going bad for him and hurting his legacy at IU.  Too good of a guy and player for that to happen.  

But I would still take him over Woodson!