Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Demo

What Are You Willing to Live With?

Question for everybody: Now that we’re hiring another new guy after 4 years of spinning our wheels, I want to know just how far we’re willing to go for a return to relevance? What are you willing to live with to enjoy winning again and to matter? Grade problems? Payoffs? Player or Coach malfeasance? If the scale is Sister Jean on one end and Rick Pitino’s even scuzzier brother on the other, where is your line? Or do you have one? 
Be civil, I’m dying to know and I don’t want to lock this in 15 responses.

Go

I don't want a bunch of scumbag players who are getting in trouble off the court. That's where I draw the line. But I'm more than willing to engage in the financial world of paying recruits. Duffel bags, shoe companies, all that. I want us on par with what the Duke's and Kentucky's of college basketball recruiting are doing.  

I would absolutely hire Rick Pitino if he was interested. I don't care about all the flack we would get from opposing fans. IU would be in the tournament next year and a Final Four contender in year two. We need someone to bring the program off life support because we are about to flatline Nebraska Football style. But that's my willing to live with line to answer the topic question. 

We're going to have to play the game if we want to win.  I don't want us covering up sexual assault or rapes, but we have to be willing to play in terms of recruiting.  Not really breaking rules when the MCAA doesn't care to enforce them. 

Play the game every other program is playing. I’m a basketball ball fan. I want to watch good basketball and honestly could care less about the players off the court. Give me Rick Pitino in a silky white suit, 17000 in the Hall while we  hit 15 threes and play smothering defense all day.

I’m 100% good with grade issues, assuming they have a chance to do the work. I’m fine with buying players. They should be paid anyway. But, and I get my hypocrisy here, booster money doesn’t bother me at all. Shoe money does. Boosters want their school to win, there’s some nobility in their intent. Shoe companies are as mercenary as it gets, and that bugs me. Standard of conduct is where my line is. You’re rep’ing the school, you get very little latitude. I don’t want criminals.

WOW, I expected to be in the minority here but it seems overwhelming...

I want to WIN and I want to WIN RIGHT.... I am NOT ok with paying the players in any way, keep the duffle bags, shoe companies, strippers, gold/diamond chains, cars, away!

I don't want IU to be in the news every week about player A being accused of Sexual assault, I don't want constant 3 game suspensions for Drug problems, I don't want APR issues....

I get that kids will be kids, and I am ok with an occasional issue with a Fake ID, a failed class, or even a 1 time Weed Suspension... but I expect consequences for those actions to be taken by the coach and not have repeat offenders.

1 hour ago, Demo said:

Question for everybody: Now that we’re hiring another new guy after 4 years of spinning our wheels, I want to know just how far we’re willing to go for a return to relevance? What are you willing to live with to enjoy winning again and to matter? Grade problems? Payoffs? Player or Coach malfeasance? If the scale is Sister Jean on one end and Rick Pitino’s even scuzzier brother on the other, where is your line? Or do you have one? 
Be civil, I’m dying to know and I don’t want to lock this in 15 responses.

Go

Good question.  I guess the honest answer is I don't know.  I'm 55 and an IU grad.  I've invested a hell of a lot of time and money into Indiana basketball over the years.  I want a big name that has a high chance for success.  They can operate in the "grey area" and I'm fine with it.  Absent that, I at least want an IU guy I can root for.  Another mediocre hire AND with no ties to the program, and there's a good chance I'm done.

Edited by IUHoosierJoe

11 minutes ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

I want to WIN and I want to WIN RIGHT.... I am NOT ok with paying the players in any way, keep the duffle bags, shoe companies, strippers, gold/diamond chains, cars, away!

I don't want IU to be in the news every week about player A being accused of Sexual assault, I don't want constant 3 game suspensions for Drug problems, I don't want APR issues....

I get that kids will be kids, and I am ok with an occasional issue with a Fake ID, a failed class, or even a 1 time Weed Suspension... but I expect consequences for those actions to be taken by the coach and not have repeat offenders.

I second that

40 minutes ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

Absolutely. Cheating is stealing wins from those who play by the rules. Not a victimless crime. 

Is it ok to cheat at Candyland with your 6 yr old daughter? Apparently it is if you really to want to WIN! 

At this point I want our coaching to be run like the presidency.  We get a new coach every 4 years.  Sure, we'd have some turds, and sometimes we replace them with another turd, but every once in a while we get a real winner.  Plus, isn't this search fun?  Whatever it takes.

win the right win fun but winning and then vacating those wins are not.  I still can't believe how far this fan base has fallen the last few years.  I thought I would never hear IU fans saying they want to win no matter the cost of doing it.  It is truly embarrassing to me as a long time fan.  I would rather never win another championship than winning one while cheating to get that title.  I would assume most saying to whatever it takes are the younger fans who never seen a championship.