Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Rank the IU Former Player Candidates

Rothstein went out on a limb  ;) and said we have head coach candidates that are former IU players. Let’s rank ‘em — the six real ones (no Ivan Renko or Dakich please).

In alphabetical order they are: Alford, Cheaney, Fife, Lewis, Smart, and Woodson.

No need for commentary (unless you want to).

Rank ‘em!

1. Fife

2. Lewis 

3. Cheaneey 

4. Smart/Woodson/Alford

I really, really hope we don't go down this route for our head coaching vacancy. But, if we do, I guess I value potential more than other factors such as NBA experience...

The safest of that group would be Alford.  While not great, he has had some nice seasons at UCLA.

Has Cheaney ever been a head coach? If not, he'd be the riskiest.

I can see reasons why the NBA guys would be more desirable and why they'd be a bigger gamble - basically they're the direct opposite of the Fife/Lewis duo.

I'm not enamored of anyone on that list individually.  Maybe in conjunction with a veteran coach/mentor/recruiter. IDK, but I'm pretty sure none of them would be considered "home runs" by the majority of the fanbase and each would probably disappoint many as well.

20 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Rothstein went out on a limb  ;) and said we have head coach candidates that are former IU players. Let’s rank ‘em — the six real ones (no Ivan Renko or Dakich please).

In alphabetical order they are: Alford, Cheaney, Fife, Lewis, Smart, and Woodson.

No need for commentary (unless you want to).

Rank ‘em!

1. Alford

2. Woodson (he took the Knicks to the playoffs!)

3. Fife

4. Lewis

5. Crean

6. Mike Davis

7. Smart

8. Cheaney (don't want his legacy tarnished. favorite IU player ever)

9. Lawrence Frank

10. Pat Knight

Edited by normandale97

1) Woody (especially if Lewis is an assistant)

2a) lewis 

2b) Fife

2c) Alford 

3) Smart

The order can change based on how i felt after hearing their plan, checking with those who know how they have led and coached  I prefer someone who has a solid plan, is excited about the opportunity, is respected by those he has coached and worked with   

Alford 

Woodson 

Fife/Lewis (tie)

Smart 

Cheaney 

It really pains me to rank Alford No. 1 -- because I think he's a sleazeball -- but he's really the only option with some college head coaching chops.

Cal is my favorite all-time player (he was at IU when I was there), but it seems that I've read from one of our insiders -- think it was Chris007 -- that he has no interest in being a head coach, and in fact, he doesn't even have any interest in being a college assistant. And I wouldn't want someone who's heart wasn't in it. I also wouldn't want him to tarnish his legacy. 

If someone put a gun to my head and said we HAD to hire an "IU guy," -- I think my preference might be Woody as lead with Lewis as top assistant with the thought that Michael would take over in a few years. 

Woof. This is a bit sad.

Alford
Woodson
Smart
Lewis
Fife
Chaney, worry about motivation.

I’d prefer a none of the above scantron option if applicable.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners
Did smart win a championship with the fury? May have to move him up a bit if so

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk