Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Henryville Hoosier

Candidate Thread: Porter Moser

4 minutes ago, Demo said:

Absolutely true. I’m not saying he’s the guy at all. I prefer other guys.  But comparing him to Tonagel or a HS coach is silly. How about this comparison: If we were having this conversation in 2019, Buffalo was 28-3 and Nate Oats was the hottest mid-major coach going. People around here and outside would have been touting him. He would have had a thread. And he went into the tournament and got boat raced by Chris Beard. Lost by by 20 and scored 58 points. Tell me with a straight face that his thread wouldn’t have looked exactly like this one. Over-rated mid major guy. System doesn’t translate. Overmatched. Insert your favorite insult here. Bama, undeterred, hooks him up and suddenly, when coaching Kira Lewis, John Petty and Herb Jones, he goes from being Nate Oats to being NATE OATS. 

I think I agree 100% with what you just said. I don't want Porter and I won't be happy if it's him. But I think we have to let things play out. Archie Miller was this great hire according to the media and look how that turned out. My biggest concern is can Porter get guys who have the talent to compete in the Big Ten? We won't know for awhile. I just don't think he can. But it doesn't matter what I think. It matters what actually happens. 

All you hoping it's not Moser should be rooting for Underwood to wind up at Texas.  If he does the Moser would 100% be the next Illinois coach.  I've also heard rumblings for weeks that Krutwig has been planning on grad transfering for his extra year to Illinois.  

1 minute ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I think I agree 100% with what you just said. I don't want Porter and I won't be happy if it's him. But I think we have to let things play out. Archie Miller was this great hire according to the media and look how that turned out. My biggest concern is can Porter get guys who have the talent to compete in the Big Ten? We won't know for awhile. I just don't think he can. But it doesn't matter what I think. It matters what actually happens. 

Agree. IMO Musselman, Beard or Oats can come in and recruit against the Big Ten from the day they arrive. Not saying they'd dominate, but they are on even footing. 

I know Moser is a Midwest guy and probably has connections, but this summer/fall if he's the IU coach and recruiting head-to-head against Izzo, Painter, Holtman, Howard, etc., where does he rank in those battles? Probably at the bottom. 

15 minutes ago, Demo said:

Absolutely true. I’m not saying he’s the guy at all. I prefer other guys.  But comparing him to Tonagel or a HS coach is silly. How about this comparison: If we were having this conversation in 2019, Buffalo was 28-3 and Nate Oats was the hottest mid-major coach going. People around here and outside would have been touting him. He would have had a thread. And he went into the tournament and got boat raced by Chris Beard. Lost by by 20 and scored 58 points. Tell me with a straight face that his thread wouldn’t have looked exactly like this one. Over-rated mid major guy. System doesn’t translate. Overmatched. Insert your favorite insult here. Bama, undeterred, hooks him up and suddenly, when coaching Kira Lewis, John Petty and Herb Jones, he goes from being Nate Oats to being NATE OATS. 

Nate Oats has won everywhere he's been. He won 81% of his games as a high school coach in Detroit. He then won 69% of his games and 72% of his conference games at Buffalo. He never had a losing conference record at Buffalo. He made more tournaments in four years at Buffalo than Moser has in 17 years as a head coach. Porter Moser has been a head coach for 17 years and has barely won over 50% of his games. 

10 minutes ago, Demo said:

This is such a great post—it should have 40 ‘likes’. Not because Moser is some kind of sure-fire, home run hire. I would not dare to predict whether it will be a moderate or major success if he’s the guy.

However, I am sure that:

Moser, for better or worse, is not Archie Miller.

Moser is a very good technical coach.

Moser has had a fantastic run at Loyola, and has adjusted and trended better throughout his career.

Moser makes in-game adjustments.

Moser is a wonderful human being that would instill a culture of players that are excellent representatives of IU.

Just like with Oats or any coach, one game does not make or break any of that.

All you hoping it's not Moser should be rooting for Underwood to wind up at Texas.  If he does the Moser would 100% be the next Illinois coach.  I've also heard rumblings for weeks that Krutwig has been planning on grad transfering for his extra year to Illinois.  

This sounds great to me. Underwood is a much bigger threat. I’d rejoice if it goes this way.

Moser to Indiana, would certainly put 1 foot out of the door for me.

Most of you would rejoice, because you wouldn’t see me spending my time bothering over every move IUBB related. Haha.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

This sounds great to me. Underwood is a much bigger threat. I’d rejoice if it goes this way.

Most of you would rejoice, because you wouldn’t see me spending my time bothering over every move IUBB related. Haha.

I would only have a toe left in the door. I already have one foot out the door.

Heck, if we tried stealing Holtmann, I’d rather steal Underwood than go after Moser.

8 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Nate Oats has won everywhere he's been. He won 81% of his games as a high school coach in Detroit. He then won 69% of his games and 72% of his conference games at Buffalo. He never had a losing conference record at Buffalo. He made more tournaments in four years at Buffalo than Moser has in 17 years as a head coach. Porter Moser has been a head coach for 17 years and has barely won over 50% of his games. 

Couple of things: 1) Bobby Hurley won their conference the 2 years before Oats got the gig. That was a really good program and he then did a terrific job of continuing to elevate it. 2) Based on what you have posted repeatedly in thread after thread, you want a successful P5 guy. I agree that that’s ideal, so if your insinuating that you would have been hot on a Buffalo-era Nate Oats, yeah ok. 

Just now, Demo said:

Couple of things: 1) Bobby Hurley won their conference the 2 years before Oats got the gig. That was a really good program and he then did a terrific job of continuing to elevate it. 2) Based on what you have posted repeatedly in thread after thread, you want a successful P5 guy. I agree that that’s ideal, so if your insinuating that you would have been hot on a Buffalo-era Nate Oats, yeah ok. 

Buffalo had made the NCAA tournament once in school history before Nate Oats became the coach. He took them there three times in four years. 

The question you posed asked what the conversation would have been in 2019. That was two years ago. I (and many other fans) wasn't nearly as burnt out on Archie Miller and, therefore, mid-major coaches, in 2019 as I am in 2021. But even more, go back to my post and read it again. Nowhere in it did I say that I would've been "hot on a Buffalo-era Nate Oats." I simply differentiated Nate Oats and Porter Moser as coaches. Oats has won everywhere he's been. Porter Moser hasn't. 

1 hour ago, Demo said:

Oats won 3 MAC championships in his 4 years at Buffalo. Let’s at least get a guy who wins at the mid major level.