Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Henryville Hoosier

Candidate Thread: Porter Moser

2 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I wonder if some people that post on here even watch the games.  The Porter Moser hate is absurd and laughable.  They didn’t have a good game but could clearly see what they were trying to do on offense/defense.  Porter Moser can coach circles around Archie Miller.  2/3 of their best players got in foul trouble midway thru the first half and had to go to the bench and they could not recover.  Take the top 2/3 players away from any mid major and they are going to struggle.  They just don’t have the kind of depth to recover from that.  That said, I have not and do not want him to be our next head coach but all the negative talk about him in this thread and other threads just seems inaccurate.  Loyola had a bad game and good for Oregon State.

I’ll defend my position since I was the primary contrarian in this thread.  

Never said he was a bad coach.  My STRONG position is he isn’t ready to take Indiana Basketball to an elite level.  Not even close. He seems like a fine man, and a good coach, but I feel strongly he needs to prove himself on a bigger stage before Indiana would consider a candidate like him with his results.  

-I watched the first half.  Played some ball with my son in the second half. Catching up now. I’ll never judge a coach on 1 game. Most don’t. 

12 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I wonder if some people that post on here even watch the games.  The Porter Moser hate is absurd and laughable.  They didn’t have a good game but could clearly see what they were trying to do on offense/defense.  Porter Moser can coach circles around Archie Miller.  2/3 of their best players got in foul trouble midway thru the first half and had to go to the bench and they could not recover.  Take the top 2/3 players away from any mid major and they are going to struggle.  They just don’t have the kind of depth to recover from that.  That said, I have not and do not want him to be our next head coach but all the negative talk about him in this thread and other threads just seems inaccurate.  Loyola had a bad game and good for Oregon State.

to call people's opinions "laughable" is laughable.

Edited by ledies22

5 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

to call people's opinions "laughable" is laughable.

Also, the entire B10 has coached circles around Archie Miller the past 4 years (except maybe Fran), so that's not exactly a standard I would be basing my next hire off of.

39 minutes ago, IUfan_Charlie said:

How? No one wants to watch a dinosaur offense from a .500 coach that has made 2 tournaments in his entire coaching career. If that’s the best we can do then we might as well just give up. 

Dinosaur offense? Stop it. Their 5 out series is exactly what Bama runs, though they run more Princeton chin series because Krutwig doesn’t shoot it well enough. Their elbow series is almost identical to Nova’a series. They were a mediocre shooting team all year, and today they were a terrible shooting team. But they turned it over a grand total of 8 times and they created open looks, which they then missed pretty much all of. 67 teams in this tournament are gonna lose. And if people want to bust out a 20 year sample size instead of a 4 year sample size to trash the guy as a coach, ok. But that dude can absolutely coach, absolutely can, and unless someone wants to break out their issues with his coaching with actual, ya know, analysis , than just summing it all up with “dinosaur offense” is not a real convincing argument.

8 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’ll defend my position since I was the primary contrarian in this thread.  

Never said he was a bad coach.  My STRONG position is he isn’t ready to take Indiana Basketball to an elite level.  Not even close. He seems like a fine man, and a good coach, but I feel strongly he needs to prove himself on a bigger stage before Indiana would consider a candidate like him with his results.  

-I watched the first half.  Played some ball with my son in the second half. Catching up now. I’ll never judge a coach on 1 game. Most don’t. 

I agree with you and feel the same.  I didn’t call you out and it wasn’t directed at you.  Their has been a lot of talk in this thread and others that just seem unwarranted.

48 minutes ago, Demo said:

Dinosaur offense? Stop it. Their 5 out series is exactly what Bama runs, though they run more Princeton chin series because Krutwig doesn’t shoot it well enough. Their elbow series is almost identical to Nova’a series. They were a mediocre shooting team all year, and today they were a terrible shooting team. But they turned it over a grand total of 8 times and they created open looks, which they then missed pretty much all of. 67 teams in this tournament are gonna lose. And if people want to bust out a 20 year sample size instead of a 4 year sample size to trash the guy as a coach, ok. But that dude can absolutely coach, absolutely can, and unless someone wants to break out their issues with his coaching with actual, ya know, analysis , than just summing it all up with “dinosaur offense” is not a real convincing argument.

You can’t compare their offense to Alabama and Villanova when those teams are both among the  national leaders in three point attempts. Yes, they shot 37% from 3 but on low attempts. Yes they have an efficient offense but they were a dreadfully slow paced offense all year. When you limit possessions like they do it’s hard to score enough to win if you aren’t shooting so well. Not to mention the truly horrible rebounding numbers they have. (Edit: this is due to pace, I was incorrect). There is a reason the Virginia and Wisconsin’s of the world are so inconsistent. 

30 minutes ago, Demo said:

Exactly.

From Seth Davis

I know the game just ended but if Porter Moser is going to Indiana (as I expect) then Krutwig and Williamson could transfer there and play next season. Just sayin.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

From Seth Davis

I know the game just ended but if Porter Moser is going to Indiana (as I expect) then Krutwig and Williamson could transfer there and play next season. Just sayin.

National media really wants everyone to believe that nobody wants the IU job and Moser is such a great hire. 

33 minutes ago, Demo said:

All his fancy named series didn’t amount to much when he couldn’t address the 2-3 zone early. In their first game they relied on getting it to the big boy to collapse the defense and then cut and pass from there. When OSU took that away they had very little. They missed shots mostly because they were well contested. 

He was out coached today. And that’ll happen more times than not in a league like the big ten. Happened to Archie. Happened to Crean. 

Moser might be a fine coach. He’s no where near good enough to succeed at a place like IU. His resume is proof enough. 

38 minutes ago, Demo said:

My problem with all 4 of those years he has had one player that is now the leading scorer, rebounder, and assist man in school history. Let’s see what he can do without him.

13 minutes ago, IUfan_Charlie said:

You can’t compare their offense to Alabama and Villanova when those teams are both among the  national leaders in three point attempts. Yes, they shot 37% from 3 but on low attempts. Yes they have an efficient offense but they were a dreadfully slow paced offense all year. When you limit possessions like they do it’s hard to score enough to win if you aren’t shooting so well. Not to mention the truly horrible rebounding numbers they have. There is a reason the Virginia and Wisconsin’s of the world are so inconsistent. 

They are one of the better rebounding teams in the country.  +5.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

From Seth Davis

Okay Seth Davis. I love how a national media guy throws down his expectation on the hire, stating it as if his expectation were based on any legitimate information he has, rather than the reality that his "expectation" is a front for "baseless opinion, pulled from his @$$"

Edited by Todd Parker!

Just now, Todd Parker! said:

Okay Seth Davis. I love how a national media guy throws down his expectation on the hire, stating it for his followers as if his expectation were based on any legitimate information he has, rather than the reality that his "expectation" is a front for "baseless opinion, pulled from his @$$"

Seth Davis knows nothing about Indiana basketball. 

4 minutes ago, brandct said:

My problem with all 4 of those years he has had one player that is now the leading scorer, rebounder, and assist man in school history. Let’s see what he can do without him.

If true, that’d be a red flag for me. People claiming he’s had some late career renaissance could be correct. Or the last few years could be a statistical outlier due to a couple of uncharacteristically good recruiting years. 

6 minutes ago, str8baller said:

All his fancy named series didn’t amount to much when he couldn’t address the 2-3 zone early. In their first game they relied on getting it to the big boy to collapse the defense and then cut and pass from there. When OSU took that away they had very little. They missed shots mostly because they were well contested. 

He was out coached today. And that’ll happen more times than not in a league like the big ten. Happened to Archie. Happened to Crean. 

Moser might be a fine coach. He’s no where near good enough to succeed at a place like IU. His resume is proof enough. 

The best thing OSU did was jump late into their defenses. They were forcing Loyola to burn 5 secs or so of their possessions deciphering and adjusting and it was pushing them into late clock situations. Great job by them.  And, yet, Loyola got looks all game. And missed them. He’s not my 1st choice, believe me, my 1st choice getting the job would really piss people off.  But he’s a legit guy to me. If you don’t think he’s a B1G guy, ok. But he just beat a B1G guy and went farther than 8 of them.

He would never be a candidate if he hadn’t beaten Illinois. If one game can make you a candidate, one game can make you not a candidate too.  No way should he be a candidate after that offensive atrocity. 

5 minutes ago, str8baller said:

If true, that’d be a red flag for me. People claiming he’s had some late career renaissance could be correct. Or the last few years could be a statistical outlier due to a couple of uncharacteristically good recruiting years. 

The late career renaissance is completely made up by those pushing him as a candidate, imho. This ‘renaissance’ allegedly happened during his time as an assistant at St. Louis. He left St. Louis and posted six consecutive losing conference seasons at Loyola Chicago.