Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Henryville Hoosier

Candidate Thread: Porter Moser

10 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

I’ve watched this.  None of these drills/YouTube clips will impress me.  Most people said Crean ran the best practices they’ve ever seen.  

As far as sets?  Meh. I’m ready for better offense.  But the B1G scouts each other so well, those sets won’t continue to work over and over.  

It becomes a matter of my guys are better than your guys and my guys are well coached and know a good shot from a bad shot, and can create on their own when the defense may be trying to predict your sets/motions.  I love a great set to go to to get a good look, but ultimately the guys need to learn how to space and read and react and then hit the open looks. I want to say to the other coach “My guys are better than your guys, na na na boo boo.....  Try to game plan for that.” 

Edited by WayneFleekHoosier

8 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

To be fair there are YouTube videos that make Archie miller’s system look good. 

That being said I don’t know I haven’t watched enough of his stuff 

No one has to watch them.  I’m posting them if anyone wants to watch some of his stuff.   Won’t make them automatically think he is the greatest just more information for people to see

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’ve watched this.  None of these drills/YouTube clips will impress me.  Most people said Crean ran the best practices they’ve ever seen.  

As far as sets?  Meh. I’m ready for better offense.  But the B1G scouts each other so well, those sets won’t continue to work over and over.  

It becomes a matter of my guys are better than your guys and my guys are well coached and know a good shot from a bad shot, and can create on their own when the defense may be trying to predict your sets/motions.  I love a great set to go to to get a good look, but ultimately the guys need to learn how to space and read and react and then hit the open looks. I want to say to the other coach “My guys are better than your guys, na na na boo boo.....  Try to game plan for that.” 

Not trying to impress anyone.  I’m going to post them in his thread.   If people watch cool if not that’s cool also 

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

For me sets are best used out of a time out or for a key situation.

Systems, concepts, and players are how to sustain consistency.

For instance, by far my favorite part of that limited video snippet was when he showed the cutter how to change speeds during the cut. That’s a concept that translates anywhere, anytime.

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Creans pregame warmups were epic but didnt always translate to wins.

31 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Hadn’t seen this before. It’s very good. They broke a lot of tendencies against Illinois. They played every conceivable coverage against Illinois’ high ball screens, and they were so unpredictable that I’ve watched the game twice and I still don’t know what was keying their calls. And their offense is very nearly as good. So much variety. Their 5 out sets are different than Bama’s because Krutwig is such a dynamite facilitator, but not a shooter. That kid’s the Domas Sabonis of CBB. So they just run seam cut after seam cut and he just finds angles. And their elbow actions had Cockburn just lost. They kept bringing that tight curl cut and Cockburn had no clue how to deal with it. Krutwig was probably the worst matchup for Cockburn in the entire field. And they just never stop moving. They create so much good stuff.

Was looking at their roster, and if Moser is thinking about his next move, this is the time. Krutwig, Clemons, Williamson and Uguak are all seniors. 

11 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Sooo...offense be damned, you want to recruit at the most elite level and are holding that against a mid-major guy who has never had that opportunity when assistants are they key in that process anyways?

To me, this doesn't follow a ton of logic which tells me you've made up your mind on Moser. There's a guy in Georgia who may fit your mold.

Sooo...offense be damned, you want to recruit at the most elite level and are holding that against a mid-major guy who has never had that opportunity when assistants are they key in that process anyways?

To me, this doesn't follow a ton of logic which tells me you've made up your mind on Moser. There's a guy in Georgia who may fit your mold.

Not my take.

Recruiting does make winning easier. It’s common sense. There are a lot of good basketball minds out there at every level (HS, D2, low major, etc). You can’t win consistently at the highest level without the players, athletes. That is why coaches break every rule imaginable to get the best guys because they know.

My point is, it’s not about sets to me. I want a free flowing offense with creativity from players who are taught how to play within a system. The better the player, the easier it is to coach. I’d like my coach to be able to put in a set when desired but I don’t want any robotic system.

I have made up my mind on Moser. He wouldn’t excel at Indiana. That’s my take, and you are welcome to yours.

As far as Crean? I didn’t mind his offense (yeah, Syracuse game, I can overlook that). Sometimes I loved it when he could push the pace. His defense was an abomination, as bad as Archies offense. His recruiting wasn’t as good as people think. Constant Creaning of players, off balance rosters, not enough Zellers, players that left before ready, some off court problems. If I only wanted a recruiter it sure as heck wouldn’t be Crean.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

14 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Not my take.

Recruiting does make winning easier. It’s common sense. There are a lot of good basketball minds out there at every level (HS, D2, low major, etc). You can’t win consistently at the highest level without the players, athletes. That is why coaches break every rule imaginable to get the best guys because they know.

My point is, it’s not about sets to me. I want a free flowing offense with creativity from players who are taught how to play within a system. The better the player, the easier it is to coach. I’d like my coach to be able to put in a set when desired but I don’t want any robotic system.

I have made up my mind on Moser. He wouldn’t excel at Indiana. That’s my take, and you are welcome to yours.

As far as Crean? I didn’t mind his offense (yeah, Syracuse game, I can overlook that). Sometimes I loved it when he could push the pace. His defense was an abomination, as bad as Archies offense. His recruiting wasn’t as good as people think. Constant Creaning of players, off balance rosters, not enough Zellers, players that left before ready, some off court problems. If I only wanted a recruiter it sure as heck wouldn’t be Crean.

You're a blast these days. Seems like there is no changing your mind based on the above statements soooooo despite you not understanding that sets are run off of  THE OFFENSIVE SYSTEM, you seem in for rough years ahead regardless of who the coach is with the options are left. 

If ultimately means what I think it does, you may have found your man after all- albeit if he doesn't recruit at the same or worse level he did at Loyola as he does at Indiana. 

"The advantage comes in the form of having four players on the court who can effectively handle the ball and dribble into space. The driving lanes are also available because the defense is stretched out to the perimeter by the guards’ shooting ability and timely off-ball cuts. The players seem to have a keen sense of space as they consistently rotate into appropriate areas both on and off the ball.

The entire roster has seemingly bought into the system and allowed it to flourish. When watching the Ramblers, one of the most eye-catching features of their offense is that the ball never sticks. The offense is initiated upon crossing half-court, and the ball rarely stops moving after that. No Loyola player dribbles aimlessly; instead, their dribbles are reserved for either penetrative movements or movements towards other players for the aforementioned hand-offs."

LINK

19 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I understand offensive systems, I understand sets.

Sounds great in principle. Sounds like almost every good coach I’ve heard talk basketball. All generalities seen in good team offense. I’ll give you that. He’s had some nice teams.

Getting it to work at Loyola and getting it to work at Indiana aren’t the same challenge. He’s had a couple of good stretches as a coach. Maybe you are right and he’s an offensive savant. I think he’s a good coach. If I’m an AD I want to see it work at a power 5. Indiana should have that luxury.

You think he can, I don’t.

PS- With utmost respect to PAP and USPS, you guys know your basketball. I don’t doubt that for second. Just a difference of opinion in the risks Indiana should take at this juncture.

I certainly am not calling him a savant. I do think he gets more with less. Will that translate? I speculate it could and I think there is evidence that similar have systems/philosophy win at the highest level. You speculate it wont. Like you said, that's a fair disagreement.

I do think IU may not have the luxury you're speaking of- at the moment- between the landscape of coaches in BB, state of the program and themselves. It was easy to fire Archie but the devil is always in the details.

On 3/26/2021 at 2:19 PM, Uspshoosier said:

Awful lonely here on the Moser train.   I’m cool being solo.   More I’ve researched and listened to him in interviews I think he would do a good job.    Record isn’t impressive, oversell resume doesn’t stick out but something about him has gotten me excited to see what he could do at IU.   I got a good feeling about what he could accomplish at IU if he was to be the coach. 

His defense is very impressive. Elite. 

Loyola is incredibly impressive and their defense is phenomenal, but I have a really hard time seeing this success replicated at Indiana. Krutwig is a really special and unique player, and their defensive system takes a lot of experienced players who have been in the program for a long time. I don’t see him being a serious candidate right now.