Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Henryville Hoosier

Candidate Thread: Porter Moser

5 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I was thinking this....in the Thad Matta thread.

Do you know who Thad Matta is? Thad Matta and Porter Moser both have 17 years of head coaching experience. Thad Matta has made 13 NCAA tournaments. Porter Moser has made 2 NCAA tournaments. Yet Matta is the one you feel this way about?

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe Archie's IU teams but his Dayton teams looked similar.

That’s Archie’s fault. He had better guard play at Dayton but he relied on a lot of 1 on 1 play of Scoochie Smith. There were offensive issues at Dayton as well. Lots of 40/50 point games. I never saw Dayton just pick apart a team of Illinois caliber to get any shot they wanted time and time again. Moser is better than Archie. 

Porter Moser is having a great run and is a cool story......at Loyola, let's leave him there.  It took him 15yrs to get it going and IU needs as sure a thing as possible, not a "maybe". I want the best coach available and don't think Moser is that. 

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Money rules everything in college athletics. The easiest way to become elite is to open up the checkbook and pay for it. I’m posting under the assumption that Dolson is operating with a pretty large checkbook. If he is, there’s no reason we can’t land an elite coach. Moser is the way you go if you run out of other options. 

Who's an "elite" coach?  Stevens has zero national championships.  Beard, won a few extra tourny games a year ago.  Drew, hasn't been past the sweet 16 for several years.  Beline lost 2 championships, which makes hime the Buffalo Bills of the NCAA (along with Stevens).  Mata lost one.  Etc. Etc. Etc.  Granted, they all had success.  But "elite" success?  Can they get over that hump at IU?  Past results are not an indication of future results -- good or bad.  There are no truly "elite" coaches available.  We have to find one, who can develop into one -- no matter who they are -- power 5 re-tread, mid major up and commer, etc.  They are all crapshoots -- some bigger than others.  

2 hours ago, Magisterium said:

Glass tried opening up the checkbook (to an extent) with Miller by making him the 8th-highest paid coach in the NCAA at the time of his hire. Unfortunately, giving AM an elite (at the time) salary didn't make him an elite coach.

Nor does offering an elite salary this time around guarantee that an elite coach will say "yes" to IU. Hope so, but I won't be shocked if, when the dust settles, Dolson also has to settle--for someone like Fife or Moser (although if they're smart Minny might hire Moser as soon as Loyola's eliminated).

And then we may be saying "oh chit" when we lose to Minny.  

Moser kinda sorta somewhat reminds me of Shaka Smart.  Smart became the hottest "thing" his last couple of years at VCU.  Hired by Texas but until this season really hasn't done anything spectacular.   He had a .744 winning % at VCU in 6 seasons and is .559 in 6 seasons at Texas.

9 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Who's an "elite" coach?  Stevens has zero national championships.  Beard, won a few extra tourny games a year ago.  Drew, hasn't been past the sweet 16 for several years.  Beline lost 2 championships, which makes hime the Buffalo Bills of the NCAA (along with Stevens).  Mata lost one.  Etc. Etc. Etc.  Granted, they all had success.  But "elite" success?  Can they get over that hump at IU?  Past results are not an indication of future results -- good or bad.  There are no truly "elite" coaches available.  We have to find one, who can develop into one -- no matter who they are -- power 5 re-tread, mid major up and commer, etc.  They are all crapshoots -- some bigger than others.  

This is true, but what else do we have to go on? Gut feeling? Why did we all want Stevens? He has shown the ability to win and get the most out of his players at Butler.

Look, hiring a coach is as much art as science, but if you get a consistent winner chances are he's gonna win, despite the setting. Evaluate the best coaches around, and then get the best one you can. It is not easy, but it is simple. Porter Moser has really come into his own the last 4 years, but before that? I don't want to take the risk he can bring that secret sauce to B-Town.  

14 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

If Loyola makes the Cinderalla run, they'll be tied.  Then what?  :)  

Then it’s a good story but it doesn’t change my mind at all. He still feels like the mid-major flavor of the month. Some P5 might go after him. I just don’t want it to be us. 

19 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

I disagree that past results aren’t an indicator of future results. They aren’t a guarantee of future success, but they’re a strong indicator. That’s why you look for coaches with previous success. Take Roy Williams, for example. He did great at Kansas and then went on and has been great at UNC. 

25 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Moser kinda sorta somewhat reminds me of Shaka Smart.  Smart became the hottest "thing" his last couple of years at VCU.  Hired by Texas but until this season really hasn't done anything spectacular.   He had a .744 winning % at VCU in 6 seasons and is .559 in 6 seasons at Texas.

I never thought Smart would translate to the power 5 conference because of his style at VCU.  He seemed to change everything and went away what worked at VCU so maybe he needs to go back to that style.  Sometimes a coach needs to be true to himself and do wat was successful instead of trying to change.

Moser is coaching as the 3rd or 4th best option for Chicago/in-state kids and he’s outplaying every other program. I think he’s proven himself to be an excellent coach and Loyola has taken a big step forward the last couple years after his first few years with the program. Imagine him, with plenty Illinois ties, an Indiana talent pool, and a name brand that could attract any kid from CA to NY.

I think he’s choice C after Beard and Matta (assuming 100% healthy). Will be interesting to see if he’s willing to leave LUC.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

27 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Then it’s a good story but it doesn’t change my mind at all. He still feels like the mid-major flavor of the month. Some P5 might go after him. I just don’t want it to be us. 

I disagree that past results aren’t an indicator of future results. They aren’t a guarantee of future success, but they’re a strong indicator. That’s why you look for coaches with previous success. Take Roy Williams, for example. He did great at Kansas and then went on and has been great at UNC. 

Yeah. And when Kansas hired Williams he had never been a college HC at any level. He was Dean Smith’s #2. KU did their due diligence and made a call. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Do you know who Thad Matta is? Thad Matta and Porter Moser both have 17 years of head coaching experience. Thad Matta has made 13 NCAA tournaments. Porter Moser has made 2 NCAA tournaments. Yet Matta is the one you feel this way about?

It's definitely not an apples to apples comparison.  Matta got his first break in a Butler program that was rolling (Collier having built them up) and leveraged it to Xavier and OSU.   He was most successful midway through the 17 year stretch you cite, with significant 5-star talent.  From there it was several years of gradual decline.  Moser, in my opinion, has grown significantly as a coach throughout his career, to the point that for the second time in four years and with mostly 3 star talent he is making a run.  Matta was a very good coach in his prime   But Moser is doing something right, right now.  That said, it's always a gamble when mid-major guys move up to power programs.

4 minutes ago, Demo said:

Yeah. And when Kansas hired Williams he had never been a college HC at any level. He was Dean Smith’s #2. KU did their due diligence and made a call. 

IU isn’t in a position where we can take a chance and hope that an unproven guy or a mid major guy can make it happen at IU. We haven’t beaten Purdue in over five years.We haven’t played in a tournament game since 2016. This spring will be the second consecutive graduating IU class that both didn’t see IU beat Purdue and didn’t watch IU play in the tournament during their 4 years. We’ve made four tournaments in the past 13 years, and 10 tournaments in the past 20 years. We’ve made it past the sweet 16 once in my 26 years on this earth. We make another bad hire and that could very well be the final nail in our blue blood coffin. 

I gotta say, I don't understand how Moser hasn't made more tournaments.   The team i saw today was incredibly well coached and executed their gameplan to perfection. A team doesn't just fall into playing that well. I mean,  it really could be that post Rick Majerus Moser is just a different beast.   Watching Arkansas and Texas tech right now, I'm quite unimpressed with the play on the court