Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Candidate Thread: Mike Woodson

15 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2021-college-basketball-coaching-carousel-grades-chris-beard-to-texas-an-a-unc-gets-b-for-hubert-davis/

Surprised, but IU got an A- for the Woodson hire. Yes of course grades for hiring coaches are absurd, but still interesting nonetheless. 

I feel if this article were written 5 months ago it would be different, but his work since taking the job has been awesome. 

Beard would have been, perhaps, the only home-run hire of available coaches.  That said, nothing is ever guaranteed - a coach who's excelled at one school may not duplicate his success at another.

I like the Woodson hire and the obligatory comparisons to Howard kind of irk me.  Howard was known for being an outstanding player, but no real background in coaching.  Woody, on the other hand, had a nice career as a player but spent most of his NBA time as an assistant and head coach.  The fact that he is from Indiana & IU is icing on the cake.  The big questions are: will he adapt to the recruiting aspect (doing well this far) & can he tranfer his NBA style to coolege? (TBA).  The second question could be a source of failure or great success.

On 8/27/2021 at 8:29 AM, pumpfake said:

Beard would have been, perhaps, the only home-run hire of available coaches.  That said, nothing is ever guaranteed - a coach who's excelled at one school may not duplicate his success at another.

I like the Woodson hire and the obligatory comparisons to Howard kind of irk me.  Howard was known for being an outstanding player, but no real background in coaching.  Woody, on the other hand, had a nice career as a player but spent most of his NBA time as an assistant and head coach.  The fact that he is from Indiana & IU is icing on the cake.  The big questions are: will he adapt to the recruiting aspect (doing well this far) & can he tranfer his NBA style to coolege? (TBA).  The second question could be a source of failure or great success.

While certainly not as long as Woodson (partly because he's over 10-15 years younger), Howard spent 6 years as an assistant with the Miami Heat (one of the best run organizations top to bottom and for grooming coaches) and was considered a guy that was soon "up next" for a head coaching job.