Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Candidate Thread: Mike Woodson

Avery Johnson is another example of a former NBA coach that flamed out in college. He had even more success in the NBA as a coach and player than Woodson did but was terrible in college. He was a very good recruiter but it didn't translate on the court. Unless you have the best staff in the country like Howard, there's just something about the college game that seems to make the transition difficult for former NBA coaches. 

Even our good friend Isiah tried his hand in college and was one of the worst coaches in the country during his three year stretch, never winning more than 11 games. 

37 minutes ago, Treesh said:

They may know these names but lets be honest here for a second..

This is the Steph Curry - LeBron James - KD - James Harden era.

Those are the players they watched growing up that caught their attention and probably wanted to be like. 

I will be shocked if it’s Woody. But if it is, I won’t be shocked if he does well for awhile. I’m sick of winning press conferences and losing games. 

18 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I got one more for y’all, and this one is by far the best one of all.

Watch the absolute, genuine love that Carmelo Anthony and JJ Reddick have while telling stories of what it was like to play for coach Mike Woodson.

You guys want players that know who’s in charge and have fun playing? 

This video is awwwwwwwesummmmmmm!!

I wanna see some 'Sweet Georgia Brown' at IU!!

10 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I think he’s my second choice behind Stevens as long as he has Lewis, Cheaney someone like that on the staff to take over. But I wouldn’t have paid 10 million buyout to get him.

Could do worse you could hire the guy from Loyola , That could give two cents about IU basketball other than a pay check

53 minutes ago, HoosierBoiler said:

Could do worse you could hire the guy from Loyola , That could give two shits about IU basketball other than a pay check

Yeah, I’ll bet Nova and UVA really regret getting jobbed by those stiffs they hired who don’t understand their culture and are clearly just about the paycheck. And Bama must be kicking themselves over that Nate Oats’ hire when they could have had Mike Davis, who played there and really gets the program. Jesus.

For an admittedly lazy, broad, comparison....you can watch the rest of this UM game, BAMA next and Ark (tomorrow) to see some similar philosophies on offense Woodson will likely bring

Archie tried NBA pick n roll based offense. Didn’t have the shooters or guards to make it lethal. So, from an XnO stand point, I don’t see Woodson running a significantly different looking half court. Maybe he will encourage more transition offense. IDK. I don’t see a big difference in Scheme despite what Dolsen was talking about.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

19 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Archie tried NBA pick n roll based offense. Didn’t have the shooters or guards to make it lethal. So, from an XnO stand point, I don’t see Woodson running a significantly different looking half court. Maybe he will encourage more transition offense. IDK. I don’t see a big difference in Scheme despite what Dolsen was talking about.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Yeah, I mean it's too early to really tell. I do think once he gets his players- could be sooner than later w the portal- you'll see a shift to what I alluded to. But, like I said, that's kinda lazy.

On 3/21/2021 at 8:27 AM, NCHoosier said:

I think most casual/non NBA fans would be extremely surprised by the success Woodson could have. The guy has so much experience in the league and IU ties. Regardless of what people want to believe, the NBA is the dream for every kid that comes to our school to play. Having a guy as connected and quite frankly successful as Woodson would be a much welcomed change.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

On 3/21/2021 at 2:55 PM, Hooserfan1901 said:

National Media picking up

On 3/23/2021 at 8:23 PM, Stuhoo said:

I got one more for y’all, and this one is by far the best one of all.

Watch the absolute, genuine love that Carmelo Anthony and JJ Reddick have while telling stories of what it was like to play for coach Mike Woodson.

You guys want players that know who’s in charge and have fun playing? 

This video is awwwwwwwesummmmmmm!!

Bump

46 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Speaking as someone who has hiring and firing authority, I can tell you that without question, the single best accomplishment I can have as a manager is to hire excellent co-workers.

Assembling a staff of Kenya, Dane, Armond, Ya, and Thad instead of Ostrom, Kenya, Comar, and Roberts is one of Woody (and Dolson's) MAJOR accomplishments and improvements over the Archie era.

Full seconded.  Love the staff.  Woody's age is my only concern, I want to ride a 20 year Tidal wave of success.   Admittedly he's winning the off season at a rate I never expected.  Hoping NIL plays a big part in that as well.

12 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Full seconded.  Love the staff.  Woody's age is my only concern, I want to ride a 20 year Tidal wave of success.   Admittedly he's winning the off season at a rate I never expected.  Hoping NIL plays a big part in that as well.

The key will be continuity.  Woodson did a great job bringing a guy onto staff that is accomplished enough to be promoted to HC and also is a fan favorite.  So we can have a seamless transition when it comes time to replace Woodson. Hopefully in 6-8 years when Woodson is exhausted from celebrating his 3rd NC championship 

And agree with Stu trick is to get good people or at least people who can be developed.  I had two people leaders underneath me recently. 1 was ready to go the other was resistant to development. The departments were so different it would be hard to imagine the associates had the same overall boss. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2021-college-basketball-coaching-carousel-grades-chris-beard-to-texas-an-a-unc-gets-b-for-hubert-davis/

Surprised, but IU got an A- for the Woodson hire. Yes of course grades for hiring coaches are absurd, but still interesting nonetheless. 

I feel if this article were written 5 months ago it would be different, but his work since taking the job has been awesome.