Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Candidate Thread: Mike Woodson

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Yeah but I think most kids remember Howard playing for the 2013 Miami Heat

He played in 7 games that year. I kinda doubt 10 year olds at the time were watching those Heat teams thinking much about Juwan Howard. 

It isn’t that I think Woodson is a can’t miss home run. I would prefer many names before him but the more I think about it I think it could work. A big gamble for sure tho which makes me nervous. 

Just now, JB_Nomee said:

He played in 7 games that year. I kinda doubt 10 year olds at the time were watching those Heat teams thinking much about Juwan Howard. 

It isn’t that I think Woodson is a can’t miss home run. I would prefer many names before him but the more I think about it I think it could work. A big gamble for sure tho which makes me nervous. 

I agree he can work. I hope he does if he is the guy. He loves IU

9 minutes ago, JB_Nomee said:

And by that time, he also had not been a major contributor on any team for at least 8 years

Edited by PB1230
typo

I would really like this hire a lot more if IU was in a good place as a program. I think he'd be able to keep things running well. But, as we all know, we're in the complete opposite position. No NCAA tournament appearances since 2016, and only 4 since 2008. Can a 63 year old with no college coaching or recruiting experience come in and turn things around? I dunno. I hope, because I can't handle many more seasons like the past 5. 

Dammit he is growing on me. I still have strong doubts but man if he were to win here at IU it would be a lot of fun and his players would love him. 

Please bring in two SOLID recruiters and a coach who has coached in the BIG. I could get on board because you know he loves IU. But it is a huge risk

4 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

For every Juwan Howard, there's a Patrick Ewing or Chris Mullin that fails. It just seems like such a big risk when we need a more surefire candidate after these last twenty years. 

this is my issue as well. Add Penny Hardaway to that list.

However, none of those guys had the head coaching experience that Woodson has

4 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

For every Juwan Howard, there's a Patrick Ewing or Chris Mullin that fails. It just seems like such a big risk when we need a more surefire candidate after these last twenty years. 

Mullin had never been a coach, head or assistant, at any level, and was 15 years removed from playing/on court activities. And I wouldn't say that Ewing has failed - yet. Ewing made the tournament this season in year 4, and overall he's improved Georgetown slightly from when Thompson III left. 

26 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

Yep, that’s exactly where I’m at. I don’t think we’re in a place where we can take such a risk. Woodson could be great, but it would be an enormous risk.

25 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Dammit he is growing on me. I still have strong doubts but man if he were to win here at IU it would be a lot of fun and his players would love him. 

Please bring in two SOLID recruiters and a coach who has coached in the BIG. I could get on board because you know he loves IU. But it is a huge risk

Given that Woodson should understand the off-court expectations at IU, I think he is actually a lower risk. 

Of our 4 bad hires (if one counts Mike Davis - which one probably should not), two fully failed because they did not understand the off-court peculiarities of IU. And if one considers that CAM did not embrace the visibility of the position then one could argue that all failed because they did not understand the peculiarities of IU.

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Yep, that’s exactly where I’m at. I don’t think we’re in a place where we can take such a risk. Woodson could be great, but it would be an enormous risk.

We'll never know until we know. However, I think it's important to consider coaches resumes and not their personal playing experience.

Mike Woodson has an average resume. It's a losing record in both regular season and post-season. One Coach of the Month award. Zero coaching experience in college. It just really doesn't make sense to even consider him for the job. Call him and ask for his opinions? Sure. But his resume doesn't even compare to the names of Thad or Belien. 

A list of names recruits would recognize that Mike Woodson probably has in his phone:

Ray Allen, Glenn Robinson, Dell Curry (“Steph’s dad”), Sam Cassell, Shawn Kemp, Andre Miller, Allen Iverson, Ben Wallace, Tayshaun Prince, Rip Hamilton, Ty Lue, Marvin Williams, Josh Smith, J.R. Smith, Mike Bibby, Joe Johnson, Al Horford, Baron Davis, Jason Kidd, Rasheed Wallace, Tim Hardaway Jr., Tyson Chandler, Carmelo Anthony, Amar’e Stoudemire, Paul Pierce, Chris Paul, J.J. Redick, Lou Williams, DeAndre Jordan, Tobias Harris, Montrezl Harrell, Blake Griffin, Danilo Gallinari, Doc Rivers, Julius Randle, Kenny Smith, Hakeem Olajuwon, Steve Kerr.

Woody played with or coached everyone above. 

Just now, Treesh said:

We'll never know until we know. However, I think it's important to consider coaches resumes and not their personal playing experience.

Mike Woodson has an average resume. It's a losing record in both regular season and post-season. One Coach of the Month award. Zero coaching experience in college. It just really doesn't make sense to even consider him for the job. Call him and ask for his opinions? Sure. But his resume doesn't even compare to the names of Thad or Belien. 

Agree completely. When we’re trying to explain why his losing record as a head coach in both the regular season and playoffs isn’t actually that bad, we’re in a really bad position. I’m still hoping for Dolson to pull off a big fish. 

11 minutes ago, Treesh said:

If we do not consider circumstances (i.e., the team), Coach Allen has an average record (24-22, no bowl victories). I am pretty sure there are MANY major football programs who will gladly take him off our hands. You cannot ignore the performance of the team before and after the coach was there.

There is some validity to the lack of college coaching and recruiting experience, but I think the understanding of the IU way more than outweighs this. We know for a fact that making the sweet sixteen this year is not a sufficient condition to succeeding at IU (see Houston). We have higher off-the-court standards than a lot of schools. 

34 minutes ago, lillurk said:

A list of names recruits would recognize that Mike Woodson probably has in his phone:

Ray Allen, Glenn Robinson, Dell Curry (“Steph’s dad”), Sam Cassell, Shawn Kemp, Andre Miller, Allen Iverson, Ben Wallace, Tayshaun Prince, Rip Hamilton, Ty Lue, Marvin Williams, Josh Smith, J.R. Smith, Mike Bibby, Joe Johnson, Al Horford, Baron Davis, Jason Kidd, Rasheed Wallace, Tim Hardaway Jr., Tyson Chandler, Carmelo Anthony, Amar’e Stoudemire, Paul Pierce, Chris Paul, J.J. Redick, Lou Williams, DeAndre Jordan, Tobias Harris, Montrezl Harrell, Blake Griffin, Danilo Gallinari, Doc Rivers, Julius Randle, Kenny Smith, Hakeem Olajuwon, Steve Kerr.

Woody played with or coached everyone above. 

They may know these names but lets be honest here for a second..

This is the Steph Curry - LeBron James - KD - James Harden era.

Those are the players they watched growing up that caught their attention and probably wanted to be like. 

6 minutes ago, Treesh said:

They may know these names but lets be honest here for a second..

This is the Steph Curry - LeBron James - KD - James Harden era.

Those are the players they watched growing up that caught their attention and probably wanted to be like. 

He can say “ yeah I know Curry......(mumbles Dell)”