Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Candidate Thread: Mike Woodson

19 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I have NO idea if we are truly considering Mike Woodson, or if it would have a snowball's chance in hell of being a good idea. 

But I do now know what he's like mic'd up in practice (hint--he's not Crean or Miller):

Interesting video. I like the way he challenges his players without screaming in their faces. The players seemed to like him. He'd have to get rid of that line about not being in college anymore though! Lol. 

I have no doubt he knows the game. Question is can he recruit and does he want to do all the other stuff that comes along with being the HC at IU? Id probably stay in the NBA myself.

Well with his love for IU, I would hope to god that he wouldn’t come to IU if he didn’t want to go all in and do what it takes and give 110%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that I’m in the minority here but again.....if he can put together a monster staff, and we don’t have any real shot with a so called “home run” candidate, I’m all for giving Woody a shot. He could be just the shot in the arm this program needs to get the next guy. **** it. Hire him. I’ll get behind him. 

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I got one more for y’all, and this one is by far the best one of all.

Watch the absolute, genuine love that Carmelo Anthony and JJ Reddick have while telling stories of what it was like to play for coach Mike Woodson.

This video is awwwwwwwesummmmmmm!!

Yeah. Recruits will eat this **** up. 

3 season Knicks   109-79 58% which in the NBA is very good

6 seasons Hawks 206-286 41% which is not good but if you take out his first year which was the worst team in the league his record is 198-217 which isn't great but he did increase is win total every year.

Here’s a little Mike Woodson coaching history lesson for y’all:

I know that they get a lot of grief, but this is a legit debate from eight or nine years ago between Bayless and Stephen A as to who will be a better coach for the Knicks, Mike Woodson or 11 time NBA champion Phil Jackson. This occurred when Woody was in his second straight year taking the Knicks to the conference semis.

What happened? The Knicks brought in Jackson as team President and kept Woodson into the next season. Jackson then fired Woodson. The best season since then for the Knicks has been 32-51. Since this year of course, when with Thibs and Woody they are .500

I was not on board with this move earlier, but if the P5 guys have said thanks but no thanks, then Woody is an interesting candidate.  Those videos talking about how the players really connect with him should not be dismissed. 

If we are at the mid major/up and comer level or an unproven assistant level, Woody is far more accomplished than them.  If he can bring along an assistant that perhaps can take over when he is done, even better.

I think he has a strong chance to become the next coach.  

As a Knicks fan I followed Woodson closely.  Great tactical acumen and good at development. Never got a real fair shake in the NBA because he never had  a good team surround him (GM’s fault). However, he did not seem to have the energy to keep people motivated and I wonder if he could be an effective recruiter.  

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Here’s a little Mike Woodson coaching history lesson for y’all:

I know that they get a lot of grief, but this is a legit debate from eight or nine years ago between Bayless and Stephen A as to who will be a better coach for the Knicks, Mike Woodson or 11 time NBA champion Phil Jackson. This occurred when Woody was in his second straight year taking the Knicks to the conference semis.

What happened? The Knicks brought in Jackson as team President and kept Woodson into the next season. Jackson then fired Woodson. The best season since then for the Knicks has been 32-51. Since this year of course, when with Thibs and Woody they are .500

I think I wrote it earlier, but his head coaching stints were better than the records indicate. Even in Atlanta they bottomed out after Wilkens retired. Brought in Stotts and lon kruger. Then Woodson. He built them up into playoff teams and had their best years until they brought budenholzer in and he had that one great year. Him and Bud each have 2 of their 4 best years out of the last two decades. And Bud is highly respected and currently coaches the Bucks.  

His first two Hawks years were rebuilds and drags down his overall record. People just looking at his record and dismissing his coaching acumen do not know what they are talking about. 

Personally, I would hope IU had better college candidates lined up. But not liking him as a candidate is no reason to run down a successful alum like a lot of message board fans have. He’s well respected in the league. Much more than guys like Musselman or Becky Hammons for petes sake. 

44 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Hope he can play the recruiting/transfer game

It doesn’t necessarily mean HE could to the same degree, but look at how Howard is recruiting and landing transfers at Michigan. Howard hadn’t been a head coach and spent a handful of years as an assistant in the league. It isn’t like the kids nowadays remember watching juwan Howard play for the fab 5. But Woody, for whatever he would become as the HC at IU, would have instant results as a recruiter IMO. 

27 minutes ago, JB_Nomee said:

It doesn’t necessarily mean HE could to the same degree, but look at how Howard is recruiting and landing transfers at Michigan. Howard hadn’t been a head coach and spent a handful of years as an assistant in the league. It isn’t like the kids nowadays remember watching juwan Howard play for the fab 5. But Woody, for whatever he would become as the HC at IU, would have instant results as a recruiter IMO. 

Yeah but I think most kids remember Howard playing for the 2013 Miami Heat