Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Candidate Thread: Mike Woodson

4 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

FWIW, the boards I was on during our last coaching search also had Woodson as potentially getting hired when we hired Miller last time.  Obviously didn't turn out that way.  So far it's been Stevens, now Woodson....probably about ten more rumors away from when we hire.  And if IU was set on hiring Woodson, just like Beilen, there is nothing preventing them from having already announced it.

Who knows, maybe Dolson has been in talks with Woodson because he’s a trusted advisor on the hire, not because he himself would be the hire.

Just now, kottke said:

Who knows, maybe Dolson has been in talks with Woodson because he’s a trusted advisor on the hire, not because he himself would be the hire.

247 has said that supposedly he interviewed him.  The article mentioned that IU right now IU has been focusing on Matta and Woodson, but the way it's written to me seems to say that Matta is more likely the target.

https://247sports.com/Article/Indiana-Hoosiers-basketball-coach-Thad-Matta-Mike-Woodson-Ohio-State-New-York-Knicks-162823418/

3 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

247 has said that supposedly he interviewed him.  The article mentioned that IU right now IU has been focusing on Matta and Woodson, but the way it's written to me seems to say that Matta is more likely the target.

https://247sports.com/Article/Indiana-Hoosiers-basketball-coach-Thad-Matta-Mike-Woodson-Ohio-State-New-York-Knicks-162823418/

That article is just pointing to Bozich's article for WDRB. The actual 247 guys (peegs and Rabjohns) haven't said anything about Matta but have said Woodson has or will interview (can't remember).

7 minutes ago, goonaha said:

That article is just pointing to Bozich's article for WDRB. The actual 247 guys (peegs and Rabjohns) haven't said anything about Matta but have said Woodson has or will interview (can't remember).

Heard Woodson talked/interviewed for the job yesterday according to Bozich

8 minutes ago, Hooserfan1901 said:

Heard Woodson talked/interviewed for the job yesterday according to Bozich

If it’s true then I assume it’s just Scott doing his homework. Scott can interview everyone and hear their take which is fine. 

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

If it’s true then I assume it’s just Scott doing his homework. Scott can interview everyone and hear their take which is fine. 

I think it’s to appease the former players for an “IU guy”, so they are not up Dolson’s butt. I don’t think he will offer Woodson

49 minutes ago, Hooserfan1901 said:

I think it’s to appease the former players for an “IU guy”, so they are not up Dolson’s butt. I don’t think he will offer Woodson

Just because  you interview someone doesn't mean you will hire him.  Lord knows I have had a lot of interviews where I wasn't hire.

Glass did not really interview or talk with former players.  It only makes sense to interview and talk with them. As experienced as Woody is who knows maybe he introduces something or surprises all of us and that interview allows him to share that vision with Scott. 

He has never coached in college and I think that is the biggest hang up for all of us. He would certainly need assistants who have coached in college and probably even the BIG. I also don't see Mike Woodson hanging out in AAU gyms all summer so he is going to have to hire some grinders. In other words, his staff will have to be a perfect mix of "coaches" and "recruiters".

Now, I do think he has the opportunity to bring in the best recruits Indiana has seen in a long time. Kids would love to hear about Melo, J.R. Smith, Kenyon Martin, etc. And by all accounts, those guys love Mike Woodson. I for one would not be worried about the talent level Woodson could bring in because his NBA resume is impressive, really.

I do worry about the transition to coaching games in college and being able to figure out how to compete in the BIG. 

After looking again at Woodson’s head coaching body of work I actually think he did pretty well given the circumstances.  The overall win percentage looks a bit lackluster, however he took over a really bad Hawks team and took them from a 13-win team to a 53-win team, improving the total every year. And with the Knicks he went 109-79 which makes only Jeff Van Gundy and Pat Riley more successful with that organization in the past 44 years (by win pct.).  

image.png.4675d454bbdaa2cf94b40cae8cb105d8.png

He does constitute the label as an NBA journeyman having coached for 7 different organizations, but that also tells me that many highly respected coaches including Larry Brown, Doc Rivers, and Tom Thibodeau have all valued what he can do and made him a part of their staffs.  

And despite not having experience with recruiting, I think anybody that can relate to kids and can sell himself and this program can have the level of recruiting success we expect.  Woodson is working with young players every day (average age of Knicks player is 25.4) and he is said to be good with adapting to changes in the game and developing relationships with players.  I firmly believe that Woodson could close on some really talented kids with his NBA experience/connections, basketball mind, and enthusiasm for this program. 

Which brings me to my last point: He really wants to be here! (at least based on what I understand)  Maybe my pride as a fan is hurt after the Stevens dealings from last week, but the appeal in a guy who is historically connected to this program and really wants this position versus a guy who is only listening for a mountain of money is starting to carry more weight with me.  I want a guy who hates the lack of success for this program as much as we do and is as repulsed by dropping 12 out of 13 to PUke as much as we are and can do something about it.  Woody might be that guy.

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

He's in his 60s with no college coaching experience.  Disappointing would be an understatement.

He would need a fairly specific staff to help him transition to college quickly and he's definitely not young.  I just feel that since he had some head coaching success at a level higher than college and could give us more years than Beilein and possibly as many as Matta it may have some merit if we miss on college HC candidates. 

I also think he would have a really good rapport with players and is a good mid-point from a personality perspective between Crean and Archie.