Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Candidate Thread: Mike Woodson

I believe Dolson is now doing his due diligence in that he must be able to say he looked at all possible angles, and that HAS to include "considering" an IU guy. Brad Stevens is the only hire that would have appeased 99% of the fanbase without having to at least sniff the idea of an IU guy prior to filling the position. Now that Brad is off the table, Dolson is going through the necessary stepwise approach. Woodson's name is trending right now because he's currently available to talk with. And, being an IU guy himself, Dolson probably feels he needs to at least throw former players from the glory days a bone if they're interested.

5 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

I believe Dolson is now doing his due diligence in that he must be able to say he looked at all possible angles, and that HAS to include "considering" an IU guy. Brad Stevens is the only hire that would have appeased 99% of the fanbase without having to at least sniff the idea of an IU guy prior to filling the position. Now that Brad is off the table, Dolson is going through the necessary stepwise approach. Woodson's name is trending right now because he's currently available to talk with. And, being an IU guy himself, Dolson probably feels he needs to at least throw former players from the glory days a bone if they're interested.

That’s pretty much what peegs said. Woodson was available to interview because other coaches are still coaching so he either already has or will here soon. I think other names will start popping up in a day or two.

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

I'm almost 43 and was a diehard NBA fan even as a young kid. My parents used to get me the NBA Media Guide for Christmas every year as a young kid. I have no recollection of Mike Woodson as a player and I believe he was in the NBA until 1991?

1) You might have been too young or

2)  You didn't follow former IU players in the NBA

LOL, personally I think it is too late to get Hoosiers of yester year.  They should have went that route 20 years ago.  But I loved Woody and he could teach these guys how to shoot.

I think most casual/non NBA fans would be extremely surprised by the success Woodson could have. The guy has so much experience in the league and IU ties. Regardless of what people want to believe, the NBA is the dream for every kid that comes to our school to play. Having a guy as connected and quite frankly successful as Woodson would be a much welcomed change.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

51 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

Let's hope.

51 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

That’s pretty much what peegs said. Woodson was available to interview because other coaches are still coaching so he either already has or will here soon. I think other names will start popping up in a day or two.

Also said what I think is true..IF it was Beilein, he would've been hired by now. I think it is all due diligence on Mike Woodson. That being said...if that's the hire...woof...

18 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Also said what I think is true..IF it was Beilein, he would've been hired by now. I think it is all due diligence on Mike Woodson. That being said...if that's the hire...woof...

Not if Beilein is plan C, D, or F. You’ve got to talk to this others on the list first.

Maybe it hasn't been specified or unveiled, but perhaps he came up as a candidate for the necessary 'IU guy assistant" and they have plans to talk to the top HC target after their tourney run is finished. Maybe not. The rest of this is going to be super tight-lipped from now on.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

Out of curiosity, where did the Woodson rumor originate from? I haven't seen any verifiable source talk about it

Fairly late last night through the regular "leaked info" insiders here and HSN.  I believe Peegs may have picked it up first, but not certain on that.

1 minute ago, rayl456 said:

Fairly late last night through the regular "leaked info" insiders here and HSN.  I believe Peegs may have picked it up first, but not certain on that.

What exactly leaked though? That he's an actual candidate we've made contact with or?

I really hope this Mike Woodson talk is just that -- talk. His coaching acumen is debatable at best. And when he has been a head coach, someone else provided the personnel. In college ball, you have to go get your own players -- something he has never done. Saying an assistant would handle that is just silly, and not feasible -- the head coach is the face of the program and needs to be able to recruit talent. 

To think we'd hire a soon-to-be 63-year-old who has never recruited and has a below-average coaching record just seems beyond preposterous. Love Mike Woodson the IU player, but I just don't see how anyone can think a guy who played 40 years ago and has a losing NBA record will be able to persuade 16- and 17-year-old kids to come play for him. 

I'm just flummoxed by this. 

My initial thought was, "I just pooped. And not in the way I pooped when Brad Stevens made me do it."

But then I thought, and I still do, that Woodson made the first contact here. Dolson is listening purely to throw a bone from one IU guy to another, but I don't think he'll seriously consider. At least not for the HC. He could be talking Woodson into an associate job, however. He may have something to offer player development-wise.

4 hours ago, NCHoosier said:

I think most casual/non NBA fans would be extremely surprised by the success Woodson could have. The guy has so much experience in the league and IU ties. Regardless of what people want to believe, the NBA is the dream for every kid that comes to our school to play. Having a guy as connected and quite frankly successful as Woodson would be a much welcomed change.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Recruiting is the obvious question mark. Hard to believe he wouldn’t recruit the heck out of the Indy area. But any coach who can’t recruit is dead in the water in college.