Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Candidate Thread: Mike Woodson

But that doesn't really address what I had said.  Why are people so annoyed with the Woodson suggestion but not with the Smart one? Woodson's coaching pedigree is better and he played in the league, and Smart is just 5 years younger.
And for the record, I don't want Woodson.

If I had a vote, I’d vote no on Woodson and on Smart. But I don’t have one.

5 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Fife was 82-97 at a low D1 and Lewis hasn't ever been a head coach.  The reality is that they are college basketball assistants.  

I'm not advocating for Fife or Lewis. But in terms of Woodson, Lewis has 16 more years of college basketball coaching experience. It's actually 16-0. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm not advocating for Fife or Lewis. But in terms of Woodson, Lewis has 16 more years of college basketball coaching experience. It's actually 16-0. 

How about coaching experience?
I would fully expect that Woodson could find a few young, hungry assistants to help with recruiting.

Just now, Stuhoo said:

How about coaching experience?
I would fully expect that Woodson could find a few young, hungry assistants to help with recruiting.

That doesn't exactly inspire me. Coaching in the NBA and college are different. Juwan Howard is working out because he oozed recruiting cache being a Fab 5 member and he took over a program on auto-pilot. 

Just now, BGleas said:

That doesn't exactly inspire me. Coaching in the NBA and college are different. Juwan Howard is working out because he oozed recruiting cache being a Fab 5 member and he took over a program on auto-pilot. 

This. Situations are not at all the same. I have trouble seeing how a failed former NBA coach in his 60s will connect with teenagers when he’s never done it and they don’t know who he is. Kids still know about the Fab 5. They have no idea who Woodson is. 

29 minutes ago, Treesh said:

There is that. We could’ve fired him halfway through the season and placed an interim which is fine. 4 months of research of candidates, which may have been done currently. We don’t know. 

But then there is IU football so who cares about IU basketball! FOOTBALL SCHOOL!

But who would be out there next year that isn't already available this year.

2 minutes ago, VO5 said:

This. Situations are not at all the same. I have trouble seeing how a failed former NBA coach in his 60s will connect with teenagers when he’s never done it and they don’t know who he is. Kids still know about the Fab 5. They have no idea who Woodson is. 

I'm almost 43 and was a diehard NBA fan even as a young kid. My parents used to get me the NBA Media Guide for Christmas every year as a young kid. I have no recollection of Mike Woodson as a player and I believe he was in the NBA until 1991?

I said Brad Stevens is out of character with how this program has been run over the last couple decades.  Well, hiring a guy in his 60s with no college coaching experience that recruits haven't heard of is 10000% in character.

It would make me wonder if IU's decision makers were just trolling at this point.

4 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

This has to be a smoke screen.  There has been a lot of smoke screens the last few coaching searches.  I'm getting the feeling that Dolson is closing in on his guy.  Hopefully there's an announcement next week.

I hope you’re right.