Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierBoiler

Candidate Thread: Mike Lewis

Apologies if this has already been posted (pretty sure it was), but what an awesome interview with JMV

https://omny.fm/shows/the-ride-with-jmv/best-of-jmv-3-23-1

23:00 mark to about 37:00.

FWIW, Lewis was on with the mouth of the station, but I could not stand to listen to the mouth prattle on and pontificate.

Give me Michael Lewis and a staff and let's get it done.

WARNING--the following is a long post that I put on the mod board a day or two ago. It includes a transcript of a different interview (not the one AZ Hoosier linked) in Indy by Lewis this week:

I'm curious as to why Mike Lewis's name hasn't had its turn at the top of the rumor heap yet. After reading this...could he be who we're waiting on? He was on an Indy sports radio show this morning, and he sounded A LOT like a candidate when asked:

Interviewer

I'm not gonna make anything awkward for you, because I know you got a team in the Sweet Sixteen right now, but how far away are you from being a head coach for a major basketball program that we might know and love?

Mike Lewis

Well, you know I, I don't know there's this decisions aren't, aren't for me to make, but, uhmmm, I, I you know, like I talked about my career I try to, try to put myself in, in the best possible position to, to be ready for whatever opportunity comes next. Ahhhh, I've never really focused and, and chased opportunities. Opportunities that have come to me, ahhm, you know, have been because of the work that I've done in previous spots. And, but ahhm, but I've, I just try to control the things that I can control and keep my head down and do my job. And do it as well as I can and surround myself with the people that I have in my career that, that uhmmm, push me and give me opportunities to try to, try to become the best possible coach that I can possibly be. And uh I feel like I've done that in my career, and very thankful for the path that I have, and uh, whatever, whatever is in my future is in my future and we'll cross thoise paths when it's time.

Obviously, ya know I care a great deal and I've talked a lot about it this week with different people. I want somebody that embraces that program. That understands that program. Understands what it once was. Understands what it can be and will be, you know, again. It's just too special to me and it's too special to many others. Not just former players but fans that deserve to see what Indiana Basketball really can be. 

And the thing that bothers me the most guys, is that I think that, you know, we haven't, we haven't been what we can be in such a long time that, that we're on the cusp of, if we're not already of just kinda becoming like everybody else. We, we, we were at one time different. And we need to be, we need to get that re-established and be who we are. 

(pauses for interviewer reference to Dakich)

I think when you wear jerseys like that and you put yourself in it...it's different, man. And if you don't understand it's different then you don't get it. That's what bothers me. It's been so long that, that people don't understand what Indiana Basketball is all about and what it really can be. We need to get...whoever it is...we need to get somebody in there that can embrace being the coach. Because when you're the coach of Indiana you're so much more than a basketball coach. You know you're a leader of a state. You're a leader of Hoosier fans everywhere. Along with the players in your locker room and the university you represent. You're so much more than just a basketball coach. But more than understand that you've got to embrace that. And I think that's something we've been missing and whoever that guy is I hope gets us back to being who we're supposed to be.

I'm going to get destroyed for this but he has sneaked into my top 3. May even be my most desired choice. Could it go terribly? Yep. I'd take my chances with him though because I don't think he'd allow himself to fail.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

I'm going to get destroyed for this but he has sneaked into my top 3. May even be my most desired choice. Could it go terribly? Yep. I'd take my chances with him though because I don't think he'd allow himself to fail.

He's been surrounded by (or he's surrounded himself with) great coaching minds... leaders who are disciplined and know how to do what they are charged to do... let him hand pick his assistants and hand him the keys. I fully believe that he can lead us back. Lewis is the ONE and ONLY "IU guy" that I can support without reservation.

19 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Four paragraphs, 15 times he referred to IBB as 'we'

22 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

Just curious, why Michael Lewis over Dane fife?

Dane has coached in big ten and has head coach experience

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

During the time period Dane was a head coach at IUPFW, Michael was an assistant to Brad Stevens and Bob Knight.

Neither have both resume gold-stars. Different but valuable item for each.

I’ve been on the Lewis train from the start!

1a. Stevens 

1b. Lewis

2. Fife

I have No interest in any other coaches. I don’t care what young IU fans think that have never seen any good IU basketball. They obviously have the right to not want a  IU guy if that’s how they feel. Like I’ve said before if you have been involved with building a company or in this case a program and it starts to fail you may need somebody that knows the most about it to come help fix it.

15 minutes ago, HoosierBoiler said:

I’ve been on the Lewis train from the start!

1a. Stevens 

1b. Lewis

2. Fife

I have No interest in any other coaches. I don’t care what young IU fans think that have never seen any good IU basketball. They obviously have the right to not want a  IU guy if that’s how they feel. Like I’ve said before if you have been involved with building a company or in this case a program and it starts to fail you may need somebody that knows the most about it to come help fix it.

Those silly young fans wanting to hire a coach for his coaching resume and not the college he played basketball at decades ago. Lewis would be fine if IU strikes out on a number of other guys, but 1b? Not at all. 

Those silly young fans wanting to hire a coach for his coaching resume and not the college he played basketball at decades ago. Lewis would be fine if IU strikes out on a number of other guys, but 1b? Not at all. 
Let me paint it in a different color. He cares more about IU basketball than you and I combined. So he has that along with being able to coach and recruit. Would you rather have that intangible plus the other two criteria in a coach or just the 2 and not the intangible passion?

2 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Let me paint it in a different color. He cares more about IU basketball than you and I combined. So he has that along with being able to coach and recruit. Would you rather have that intangible plus the other two criteria in a coach or just the 2 and not the intangible passion?

I said the other day that Lewis would be my top choice of the IU guys. I think he could work out well here, especially with his grit and passion. I just don’t want us going the IU route unless we strike out on the other candidates. 

I said the other day that Lewis would be my top choice of the IU guys. I think he could work out well here, especially with his grit and passion. I just don’t want us going the IU route unless we strike out on the other candidates. 
I get it. I do. The more I think about it the more I get this terrible feeling we're going to regret overlooking Lewis.

3 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

I get it. I do. The more I think about it the more I get this terrible feeling we're going to regret overlooking Lewis.

I’m definitely surprised he’s not getting any attention with how much guys like Woodson and Cheaney have been talked about. Lewis is the one actually coaching on a team still in the tournament. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I’m definitely surprised he’s not getting any attention with how much guys like Woodson and Cheaney have been talked about. Lewis is the one actually coaching on a team still in the tournament. 

I’ve been giving him more than a little attention in this thread lately!

It’s up to the rest of you to latch on  ;)