Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierBoiler

Candidate Thread: Mike Lewis

3 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Just curious, why Michael Lewis over Dane fife?

Dane has coached in big ten and has head coach experience

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Lewis coached at Nebraska for two years. Idk, I just get a better vibe from Lewis than I do Fife. I like Lewis's junkyard dog type of mentality. He coached under both Brad Stevens and Bob Knight. He grew up an hour or so away from Bloomington. 

Lewis coached at Nebraska for two years. Idk, I just get a better vibe from Lewis than I do Fife. I like Lewis's junkyard dog type of mentality. He coached under both Brad Stevens and Bob Knight. He grew up an hour or so away from Bloomington. 

I didn’t really think about coaching under both bob and Brad. Even though I knew he did.

That’s a major plus for me

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just curious, why Michael Lewis over Dane fife?

Dane has coached in big ten and has head coach experience

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
As HoosierFan said I think Lewis is the ultimate chip on his shoulder type. I just remember from his playing days how fierce a competitor he was. He has always been an Indiana kid/guy. I personally don't mind Fife either but if I had a choice I'm going with Lewis.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, ViaSwiss said:

Why hasn't any other D1 school hired Lewis as their HC?

I can't answer your specific question, but I'd be surprised if he hasn't been approached by some D1 schools but simply wasn't interested in those particular schools.   The D1 universe is pretty big and would encompass a lot of schools that possibly just don't fit where he sees his next step in the coaching ranks.

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I can't answer your specific question, but I'd be surprised if he hasn't been approached by some D1 schools but simply wasn't interested in those particular schools.   The D1 universe is pretty big and would encompass a lot of schools that possibly just don't fit where he sees his next step in the coaching ranks.

Well he's already a top assistant coach at UCLA, a school that has eleven banners and a bunch of five star recruits. 

Where do you think he sees is his next step in the coaching ranks?

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Well he's already a top assistant coach at UCLA, a school that has eleven banners and a bunch of five star recruits. 

Where do you think he sees is his next step in the coaching ranks?

Maybe Indiana University and again, maybe not.   I will say this about Lewis, he may have graduated long ago but his heart is still at IU.  He was on Indy sports radio Wed. or Thurs. talking about IU bball and it was all 'we' and 'us' not 'they' and 'them'.  And it wasn't just once or twice it was throughout the interview.

37 minutes ago, ViaSwiss said:

Why hasn't any other D1 school hired Lewis as their HC?

I think mainly because he is just not getting to be around a successful program. When he was at Butler he was the 2nd or 3rd assistant, he left to go to Nebraska to be the lead guy, they only had a good season or two. Now that he is at UCLA their playing well his name is being brought up more. Plus he is still young

I think mainly because he is just not getting to be around a successful program. When he was at Butler he was the 2nd or 3rd assistant, he left to go to Nebraska to be the lead guy, they only had a good season or two. Now that he is at UCLA their playing well his name is being brought up more. Plus he is still young
He's 44. Not old by any means in the coaching world but he's not a spring chicken anymore either. I would say it'll have to be soon and I think it will be.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I agree with everything you're saying except the first part. Let me get this straight:

• Five seasons as a Butler assistant. Four tourneys and two final fours.
  • Two seasons as the top assistant at Nebraska. 41 wins in those two seasons ... at Nebraska.
  • Two seasons at UCLA. 19-12 last year. 20-9 and a Sweet Sixteen this year.

Pretty successful at high-level.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

I agree with everything you're saying except the first part. Let me get this straight:

• Five seasons as a Butler assistant. Four tourneys and two final fours.
  • Two seasons as the top assistant at Nebraska. 41 wins in those two seasons ... at Nebraska.
  • Two seasons at UCLA. 19-12 last year. 20-9 and a Sweet Sixteen this year.

Pretty successful at high-level.

But at Butler, he was 2nd or 3rd. Didn't the guys in front of him get head coaching jobs? Holtman, Miller? I don't know for sure that is why I'm asking. I'm not hiring an assistant from Nebraska if I'm leading a program unless it's a low to mid major. I think those are the reasons he hasn't gotten a head job. 

I think he is in a good spot in his career.  If he wants to leave now for a HC position at a non P5 school I’m sure he could.  If he wants to stay at UCLA until a better opportunity presents itself he can do that.

He would kill it @ IU for 7-8 years as the lead assistant for Beilein.  I’m not sure their could be a much better staff with those two plus whoever.

1 minute ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I think he is in a good spot in his career.  If he wants to leave now for a HC position at a non P5 school I’m sure he could.  If he wants to stay at UCLA until a better opportunity presents itself he can do that.

He would kill it @ IU for 7-8 years as the lead assistant for Beilein.  I’m not sure their could be a much better staff with those two plus whoever.

Lead assistant for Stevens who he has worked for before. But I'm ok with Beilein too if that's the choice