Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Ooooook who’s your # 2?

9 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

How do you know it’s not the right time? I don’t think it is personally but I also wouldn’t be completely against Fife or Lewis. Until I met with someone and saw their plan, saw their X’s and O’s, and saw how they could win at IU I wouldn’t write off anyone. IU is different than most but so is the B1G as a whole. AD’s should always look and see the options and if options 1-4 don’t work then go get a guy that would do anything for IU to be good again.

There are better options that we should be able to get. If we can't, sure, go ahead and hire Fife and let it ride. He shouldn't be plan A is all I'm saying. 

Just now, mdiu28 said:

There are better options that we should be able to get. If we can't, sure, go ahead and hire Fife and let it ride. He shouldn't be plan A is all I'm saying. 

That I get. Stevens was plan A, not sure plan B/C, then I think it’s Beilein based on connecting dots. Then I think it’ll fall to Fife/Lewis/etc. it Dolson has to go that far but I don’t think he will.

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

We can’t afford to hire an unproven assistant and hope that they can turn things around. We haven’t played in a tournament game since 2016. We need a coach with proven success at the P5 level. Otherwise, there’s a good chance we’re back four years from now looking for a new coach again. 

"Proven Success" is no guarantee of a winner at IU. Fife is likely the guy at Michigan State when Izzo retires. Why not grab him now before he's whipping us as Spartans coach in a decade. 

11 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

I've heard that a lot and I would personally would love it for Fife to be a coach in waiting type of thing, but wouldn't that be a lateral move, if not a step backward, for him going from Michigan St and possible coach in waiting there to IU? IU probably has the history over Michigan St, but in terms of the last 20 years I don't think it's a stretch to say Michigan St would be the better job based on the short term history

Yes it would but if you called Dane, told him to come here to be on someone's staff and you'll most likely be our HC in a few years, I think he jumps. Maybe not, maybe he'd feel insulted - I have no idea. I also have no idea what the situation at MSU is and whether or not he'd be a top contender for that job. Izzo has at least a couple years left if you ask me. 

2 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

That I get. Stevens was plan A, not sure plan B/C, then I think it’s Beilein based on connecting dots. Then I think it’ll fall to Fife/Lewis/etc. it Dolson has to go that far but I don’t think he will.

I'm not big on Beilein given the reason for his dismissal from the NBA. That would be a cloud hanging over our heads every time he tries to recruit someone. You are naive to the world we live in if you don't realize that. 

1 minute ago, mdiu28 said:

Yes it would but if you called Dane, told him to come here to be on someone's staff and you'll most likely be our HC in a few years, I think he jumps. Maybe not, maybe he'd feel insulted - I have no idea. I also have no idea what the situation at MSU is and whether or not he'd be a top contender for that job. Izzo has at least a couple years left if you ask me. 

Based on their website they have two associate head coaches with him and Dwayne Stephens. Not sure if that implies one of them being the eventual successor, but I just assumed if he'd leave Michigan St it would be for a head coaching job. Leaving for his alma mater may entice him, and I would love it, but just figured it would be a hard sell for him to take an assistant role under Beilein for example. Time will tell I guess, and I'm so glad I'm not Dolson.

11 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

We can’t afford to hire an unproven assistant and hope that they can turn things around. We haven’t played in a tournament game since 2016. We need a coach with proven success at the P5 level. Otherwise, there’s a good chance we’re back four years from now looking for a new coach again. 

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Since our last three hires have all been to an elite eight or better, and each flamed out in wondrous and unique ways, that logic just does not hold with me.

Okay I’m going to make The Case for Dane Fife, trying to be brief. He’s not the guy I’d pick in a vacuum, but:

1. Fife has lots of experience at big time B1G programs. He’s seen final 4s as player and coach, and he’s seen things go poorly at those places, too.

2. He has HC experience and I don’t think that’s necessary for success, but it probably shortens the learning curve.

3. He has confidence and wants a head job; he’s waiting for the right gig and turned down Duquesne four years ago.

4. Hiring an assistant is a risk/reward and as outsiders to the process it’s hard to know the level of confidence of whoever does the hiring. I get the hesitation. What if he’s Roy Williams/Bill Self/Izzo 2.0, though? If you’re thorough and you get the right guy, an assistant can be great right away just like a known commodity.

13 minutes ago, Its Always Sunny at IU said:

I'm not big on Beilein given the reason for his dismissal from the NBA. That would be a cloud hanging over our heads every time he tries to recruit someone. You are naive to the world we live in if you don't realize that. 

I work with athletes every day. In fact I have a game to coach this afternoon. I know how things work. 

15 minutes ago, Its Always Sunny at IU said:

If kids are worried about that, then theyve been taught to be ignorant. Beilein would still be a great coach. He's just old. 

25 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Since our last three hires have all been to an elite eight or better, and each flamed out in wondrous and unique ways, that logic just does not hold with me.

Sampson was doing good here, then he was fired for what was a secondary violation at the time and not even that now.  IU screwed IU there.

Crean had red flags we didn't want to see and Miller was just an up and comer that MIGHT be good.

9 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Kelvin Sampson didn’t flame out at IU. Our holier than thou administration fired him for making too many phone calls. He won 74% of his games at IU and had his team 22-4 and #14 in the country when he got fired. 

Archie Miller never coached at a P5 school. He made it past the round of 32 once at Dayton. We was one of the most well-regarded up and comers, but he was exactly that - an up and comer. 

I disagree strongly that Tom Crean had proven P5 success. Tom Crean made it past the round of 32 exactly once at Marquette in nine seasons. And that was due to having one of the best shooting guards to ever play the game on his team. In 5 years at Marquette after that, he missed the tournament twice, made it to the round of 64 twice, and made the round of 32  once. He won 1 conference title at Marquette and that was when they were in Conference USA. 

In the last three hires, we’ve hired someone with proven P5 success once. And that guy was a darn good coach and was doing an incredible job here before IU fired him for off the court reasons. So, I’d actually argue the opposite of your position. The one proven P5 guy we hired in the last three was the best coach we’ve had since Bob Knight  

Hiring someone who absolutely no one here would want if he wasn’t an “IU guy” makes absolutely zero sense. We aren’t hiring them to come play. We’re hiring them to be our head coach. MSU fans don’t even want Fife to be their next coach and he’s been there for a decade. 

Crean definitely had red flags with him.  He missed the tournament 4 times in 9 years Marquette, take away the year Wade carried him and he's 50/50.  He never finished better than 4th in a major conference when we hired him.

Who are we? What is our culture?  I’m tired of trying to reinvent Indiana basketball.  I want leadership on my bench that knows it, lived it, and promotes it.

THIS!
Lockdown GETS IT!
Others on here aren’t ignorant. They just know too much about what isn’t so.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, Whoozhers said:

1. Indiana guy.

2. Indiana guy.

3. Indiana guy.

4. Indiana guy.

5. Indiana guy.

That’s my top 5.
In that order.
Nothing else to consider.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

!. Jimmy Hofa

2. Jared Fogel

3) Jim Jones

4) Larry Eyler

5). Robert Montgomery Knight

Here is a list of 5 reasons you need to expand your criteria.  4 of them are "Indiana Guy".  One of them was greatest coach we ever had.

2 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Sampson was doing good here, then he was fired for what was a secondary violation at the time and not even that now.  IU screwed IU there.

With all do respect I think that's a bit of revisionist history.  When IU hired Sampson there were many inside/outside the fanbase who were surprised and disappointed.  He was already viewed as dirty, by many coaches, analysts and fans.  Then he committed those violations at IU.  The story was not that they were secondary violations.  The story was that he did it intentionally and repeatedly.  He knew he was getting caught and kept doing it.  It's true that he knows how to coach.  It's true that IU messed up by being to honest with the NCAA (obviously we've seen so may other programs get away with much worse by denying the charges).  But IU was not wrong to part ways with him.

!. Jimmy Hofa

2. Jared Fogel

3) Jim Jones

4) Larry Eyler

5). Robert Montgomery Knight

Here is a list of 5 reasons you need to expand your criteria.  4 of them are "Indiana Guy".  One of them was greatest coach we ever had.

80% nonsense. You’re comparing apples and oranges and getting a bananas result.

See post #594

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

8 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Crean had red flags we didn't want to see and Miller was just an up and comer that MIGHT be good.

there were other problems during Sampson's time at IU. Players not attending class. Drug and alcohol use. Just a total lack of control over the program.

14 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

MSU fans don’t even want Fife to be their next coach and he’s been there for a decade. 

Yeah, but that’s meaningless. I guarantee you they didn’t want Izzo in ‘95 ‘cause he’d never been a HC. You can count on 1 hand how many in house promotions have been celebrated by the fan base. Most fans have no idea what Assts even do. 

39 minutes ago, Its Always Sunny at IU said:

"Proven Success" is no guarantee of a winner at IU. Fife is likely the guy at Michigan State when Izzo retires. Why not grab him now before he's whipping us as Spartans coach in a decade. 

Few things in life are guarantees. But past performance is as close of an indicator of future success as you’re going to get. If you’re hiring a guy for a job, do you want the guy who has done a similar job and done it very well,  or do you want the guy who has never done the job before because of the name of the college on his resume? Because that’s what we’d be doing here. We’d be hiring someone who has never done the job before because of where he went to college instead of hiring someone who has done the job and done it well.