Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Ooooook who’s your # 2?

Just now, AZ Hoosier said:

Can't say what anyone thought about RMK. I was a kid. Dad passed 11 years ago... I am sure some remember... but to the NAIA guy to Indiana, not sure we've sunk that low... let him pay his dues  in D-II, low D-I and/or mid-majors... despite what the past 25 years looks like, Indiana is not a place where you jump from NAIA to the B1G... 

And to remind everyone, Alford killed at Manchester College... and has been adequate at best beyond that.

Like I said, I think we need to find "our' Brad Stevens.  Why can't we find the guy that no one else has found yet?  Everyone says, "RMK isn't walking through that door".  Well, No $hit, we are always chasing the flavor of the month!

3 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Can't say what anyone thought about RMK. I was a kid. Dad passed 11 years ago... I am sure some remember... but to the NAIA guy to Indiana, not sure we've sunk that low... let him pay his dues  in D-II, low D-I and/or mid-majors... despite what the past 25 years looks like, Indiana is not a place where you jump from NAIA to the B1G... 

And to remind everyone, Alford killed at Manchester College... and has been adequate at best beyond that.

I wish I could like this a second time! If we're getting to the likes of Tonagel, Becky Hammond and even Fife, we've struck out on nearly every major target and we have major problems. Hate to be a pessimist, but I'm not sure IU can recruit on brand recognition after 20+ years of mediocrity and I'm not sure Tonagel entering a player's home would get someone that excited to commit. While I'm certain that the offense would at least have more freedom after seeing personally several games when I was an IWU student, I'm not sure he'd bring in the talent that would be necessary. I'd rather strike out on Beard, Oats, Musselman, etc. before we start talking about Tonagel, Hammond, Fife and (gulp) Alford.

20 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

I just a coach that can coach good offense (what Miller lacked) and good defense (what Crean lacked). I hope that isn’t too much to ask for.  

It's not

3 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

I wish I could like this a second time! If we're getting to the likes of Tonagel, Becky Hammond and even Fife, we've struck out on nearly every major target and we have major problems. Hate to be a pessimist, but I'm not sure IU can recruit on brand recognition after 20+ years of mediocrity and I'm not sure Tonagel entering a player's home would get someone that excited to commit. While I'm certain that the offense would at least have more freedom after seeing personally several games when I was an IWU student, I'm not sure he'd bring in the talent that would be necessary. I'd rather strike out on Beard, Oats, Musselman, etc. before we start talking about Tonagel, Hammond, Fife and (gulp) Alford.

Exactly... and Arch was very successful at Dayton - successful enough to get Glass to bite - and here we are looking for his replacement 4 years later... Arch's success was at a  different league, with a different level of play, and different talent level required to compete... also a vastly different conference... Let's just not go there again...

4 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

Like I said, I think we need to find "our' Brad Stevens.  Why can't we find the guy that no one else has found yet?  Everyone says, "RMK isn't walking through that door".  Well, No $hit, we are always chasing the flavor of the month!

Brad Stevens was an assistant for seven years at the same D1 school whose program he took over.....and it was a Horizon league school.

As a D1 coach, Greg Tonagel doesn't even have a flavor.  RMK might not be walking through the door, but I know Greg Tonagel isn't.

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Brad Stevens was an assistant for seven years at the same D1 school whose program he took over.....and it was a Horizon league school.

As a D1 coach, Greg Tonagel doesn't even have a flavor.  RMK might not be walking through the door, but I know Greg Tonagel isn't.

And so do I, but I think this is part of the problem with IU basketball.

8 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Back to this sentence, are you saying we are better than a proven winner in NAIA?  The last 20 years beg to differ.  We need to crawl before we can run!  BASICS my friends.

14 minutes ago, Indiana muskie said:

Pitino 

Are we playing Jeopardy? I’ll take ‘Potential IU Coach’ for $300 Alex:

“Who is the coach who wins a lot, is old, cheats in every way imaginable both in basketball and his personal life, and may be kicked out of basketball in April?”

3 hours ago, Cd71 said:

Hello, just wanted to say that I keep seeing people bring up JB and Matta.  I am one to believe that it would have been announced by now if that was the case.  Kids going into the transfer portal and the media attention they would get from the announcement would be huge. Our candidate has to still be coaching.  No way they fire Archie, pay all that money, then wait weeks to sign someone that doesn’t have a job.  

Dolson also wouldn't need help from a 2nd donor in order to offer a salary to Beilein or Matta--neither is in a position to demand anything close to the kind of money Stevens or Beard could get.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Having to do this all again in four or five years is my only and overwhelming problem.

GREAT coach, great integrity, great guy. Everything except for a crucial thing.

In all likelihood JB is only an option if it doesn't work out with any of the other top candidates so it is probably not very likely. However, if it does happen, better to hire a good coach for 4-6 years before he retires than to reach on a coach that is not ready then fire him in 4 years anyway, IMO. 

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Are we playing Jeopardy? I’ll take ‘Potential IU Coach’ for $300 Alex:

“Who is the coach who wins a lot, is old, cheats in every way imaginable both in basketball and his personal life, and may be kicked out of basketball in April?”

Looking for winners , I thought plus strippers are added bonus . 

1 hour ago, Demo said:

Now that I’ve gotten to watch a couple of USC games, really starting to warm to Enfield. They defend aggressively without fouling. No reaching or over-extending. That’s really good coaching. Also like the bones of their offense. They create a lot of good looks, though they don’t shoot it all that well. Thought it would all be about Mobley. It’s not. What he’s doing would travel.

I get the impression that Enfield would be pretty hard to pry out of California. He can coach though.