Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Ooooook who’s your # 2?

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

JB will be the detonation of my IUBB diehard fandom.  

If that happens,  I will put this program on the back burner.  It would be the saddest day in my life as a fan.  Any thought of blue blood status and it’s return would be done for me.

It sounds dramatic but it’s my truth.  

please don’t let this happen. 

I'm out with either Alford or JB... not sure Matta is a win either, given his health issues...

16 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

I think the reason all of us wanted Brad was for what he did at Butler.  The "Butler Way" was what Indiana basketball is!  RMK did it best by far, when he was here.  We all saw what Brad did with what he had and wished it was happening at IU.  

I don't think getting any big name coach in here is going to regain what Indiana basketball was.  If they are a big name they probably have done it their way.  RMK came from nowhere.  I think we need to start looking that way.  We need to get back to the roots of Indiana basketball!  I know it won't be popular, but the more I drink the more I think, I'm looking more at a Greg Tonagel type of coach.  We need A Brad Stevens, not THE Brad Stevens.  Nobody knew who Brad was before his Butler days, but he did what all IU fans have been wanting for decades!  It wouldn't take a bunch of money.  Just get a coach that understands fundamentals, how to play team basketball, make free throws, and win the Indiana way!  Even if we hire a no name, just win and we will all get behind you.  Just compete every game for F***'s sake!  Let us know that you understand where you are coaching!  

I feel all the big names are set up for failure here.  Hell, maybe even Brad would have failed.  Maybe his time in the NBA made him lose touch where he came from(I don't know, but maybe).  

I WANT GREG TONAGEL!

Right or wrong there is no way Indiana is going to hire an NAIA coach and rightfully so. 

2 hours ago, ib4iu said:

Let’s just hire a staff of Pitino, Beilein, Matta, and Alford. All of them just titled coach. Everyone can be happy and mad at the same time lol

2 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

That would make our a coach combined 250 years old or so.  No thanks.

2 hours ago, ib4iu said:

But a lot of combined final four runs. Obviously a joke but what a wild ride it would be if they all were coaches. 

The obvious joke aside, this reminds me of the Philadelphia 76ers from the '80s... too many "stars" and way too much arguing over who's in charge...

1 hour ago, Hippopotamo said:

WCBB is just such a different style game. Recruiting and roster management are also different. I can’t think of anyone who has successfully done both. 

You could say the same thing about the NBA relative to college ball. Granted all the kids want to go to the league, but it IS a different kind of basketball (if you could call it that).

5 minutes ago, JJacks said:

Right or wrong there is no way Indiana is going to hire an NAIA coach and rightfully so. 

I know they won't, but to say rightfully so is opinion.  Greg could kill it at IU! You don't know otherwise.

I understand why people might not be completely jazzed about him but I'm kinda shocked there are so many people who are so vehemently opposed to Beilein. Every coach has downsides, and he seems to have way fewer than a lot of candidates. And yet I'm seeing him get Alford levels of vitriol on here. I'm kinda confused what it is I'm not seeing.

2 hours ago, HoosierTrav said:

Beard is my number 2 but I have a strong feeling that Thad Matta is going to end up being our next coach. He seriously considered the Georgia job and that tells me that he’s wanting to get back into coaching but being very picky with his choice. IU calls, he takes it IMO. I’d be happy with Matta. 

I would as well....go look at his .723 winning % and al his deep Tourney runs!!!!

4 minutes ago, Vauxhall and IU said:

I understand why people might not be completely jazzed about him but I'm kinda shocked there are so many people who are so vehemently opposed to Beilein. Every coach has downsides, and he seems to have way fewer than a lot of candidates. And yet I'm seeing him get Alford levels of vitriol on here. I'm kinda confused what it is I'm not seeing.

He is old! That's not cool! lol

6 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

I know they won't, but to say rightfully so is opinion.  Greg could kill it at IU! You don't know otherwise.

I've heard nothing but great things about him.  He was a really nice HS and small college player too. 

26 minutes ago, Demo said:

Now that I’ve gotten to watch a couple of USC games, really starting to warm to Enfield. They defend aggressively without fouling. No reaching or over-extending. That’s really good coaching. Also like the bones of their offense. They create a lot of good looks, though they don’t shoot it all that well. Thought it would all be about Mobley. It’s not. What he’s doing would travel.

If he could recruit the extreme length he has at USC it would travel wonderfully!

with the roster we currently have it wouldn’t travel well at all.

11 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

There's no guarantee that ANY coach will succeed here or anywhere else... but no need going off the deep end on an NAIA guy... plenty of other quality fish in the sea...

8 minutes ago, Vauxhall and IU said:

Having to do this all again in four or five years is my only and overwhelming problem.

GREAT coach, great integrity, great guy. Everything except for a crucial thing.

11 minutes ago, Vauxhall and IU said:

I have concerns about Beilein but I will take him a million times out of a million over Alford.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

If he could recruit the extreme length he has at USC it would travel wonderfully!

with the roster we currently have it wouldn’t travel well at all.

Ok, that point has merit. And getting Galloway to keep his hands off a guy 35’ out might be futile. 

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Having to do this all again in four or five years is my only and overwhelming problem.

GREAT coach, great integrity, great guy. Everything except for a crucial thing.

This right here. We've done this (search/hire/replace a coach) way too many time already in recent history... no need to complicate the process by going into a new coach scenario with a known shelf life...

Truth is all of our concerns or wishes are irrelevant.  I hire people all the time and it comes down to the resume gets you the interview, then the interview is all that matters.  Does the prospect have the same vision as SD? Does the prospect carry himself as expected by SD?   

All of the names being mentioned can probably meet the resume test.  It is SD’s decision and his alone.  

6 minutes ago, NVFalcons1990 said:

Sorry I was wrong, Thad Matta's overall win % is actually .740

Look at his Wikipedia page and look at all his deep Tourney runs, plus he's only 53 years old!!!

He hasn’t coached or recruited in four years.

You want a brain surgeon to perform on you after four years of sitting on the couch?