Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Ooooook who’s your # 2?

14 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

I don’t think she has the coaching pedigree yet, plus she’s never coached college on any level. This wouldn’t really make sense to me at all. 

It’s true, but where is she going to get those opportunities? Not a lot of opportunities for women coaches in male sports yet.

She did coach an NBA team to a summer league title. Not a long record but it’s something.

Would you be open to proven WCBB coach?

Edited by LostInLouisville

3 minutes ago, LostInLouisville said:

It’s true, but where is she going to get those opportunities? Not a lot of opportunities for women coaches in male sports yet.

WCBB is just such a different style game. Recruiting and roster management are also different. I can’t think of anyone who has successfully done both. 

2 minutes ago, LostInLouisville said:

I'm not wild about Hammon's whole Russia thing, but it's whatever. I'd be delighted if we hired her, just for the pure boldness the move would show. It would be an incredible boost to our national brand - we'd instantly be part of at least some kind of national conversation, and would put the program in the national spotlight in a really unique way, which would be attractive for recruits (as would her NBA experience).

Would it work from the standpoint of on-court results? I dunno, but I know a) no hire comes without risks and b) it can't possibly be any worse than it's been. 

5 minutes ago, Vauxhall and IU said:

I'm not wild about Hammon's whole Russia thing, but it's whatever. I'd be delighted if we hired her, just for the pure boldness the move would show. It would be an incredible boost to our national brand - we'd instantly be part of at least some kind of national conversation, and would put the program in the national spotlight in a really unique way, which would be attractive for recruits (as would her NBA experience).

Would it work from the standpoint of on-court results? I dunno, but I know a) no hire comes without risks and b) it can't possibly be any worse than it's been. 

It actually can be much worse then it has been.

This is a bad idea.

30 minutes ago, LostInLouisville said:

If Dolson wants an NBA style, I say we make an offer to Becky Hammon. That’s a story I’d be proud of and I think she’d do exceptionally well. Unfortunately, I have no idea how recruits and parent would react. Toxic masculinity is still very much an issue in sports.

I'm not sure, her HC experience is limited.  She was a great player and Popovich seems to think highly of her.

It'd be a story, but if she didn't do well I could see things getting toxic quickly. 

19 minutes ago, LostInLouisville said:

She did coach an NBA team to a summer league title. Not a long record but it’s something.

No. Dumb idea. Not even the same sport. Go look at UNC’s old soccer coach—who successfully coached both genders—had to say on the subject. No overlap between the two jobs.  

Besides if you want an nba person with no college experience guys like Woodson, Whitman and smart have much better resumes. 

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

JB will be the detonation of my IUBB diehard fandom.  

If that happens,  I will put this program on the back burner.  It would be the saddest day in my life as a fan.  Any thought of blue blood status and it’s return would be done for me.

It sounds dramatic but it’s my truth.  

please don’t let this happen. 

Well, bye. 

I'm not saying that we SHOULD hire her, or that she's my top choice or anything. I'm just saying if we do wind up taking a gamble, we might as well do one that's at least gonna guarantee us lots of national exposure.

And before you say we shouldn't be gambling on this hire, well, of course we shouldn't. But you know and I know that it *could* come to that, whether we think it should or not.

4 minutes ago, Treesh said:

I’ll take Becky over salesman Eric, Drew, Belien. 

She’s won over the NBA athletes with the Spurs. She’s learned from a GOAT coach. I like it. 

I think IU does not want the coach to be bigger than the university.

Even more than Stevens, Hammons would create that dynamic.

47 minutes ago, Vauxhall and IU said:

That's literally the dumbest idea I've heard in my life.  

I will go with Beard has had good results in the tournament. His team play hard my only concern would be his ability to recruit top talent year in year out. Sometimes it hard to beat superior talent even if you are the best coach . So I guess my question is who do you think would be the best recruiter ?

6 minutes ago, Crazy about IU said:

I will go with Beard has had good results in the tournament. His team play hard my only concern would be his ability to recruit top talent year in year out. Sometimes it hard to beat superior talent even if you are the best coach . So I guess my question is who do you think would be the best recruiter ?

Rick $tansbury

5 minutes ago, Crazy about IU said:

Drew would recruit very well here.  He can coach too.

Just now, LostInLouisville said:

Well, that’s a well thought out rebuttal. 

She wouldn't be able to recruit at all.  If she has any chance of coaching men it will be in the NBA where players are signed and paid to play.  She coaches and does no recruiting. 

9 minutes ago, Treesh said:

I’ll take Becky over salesman Eric, Drew, Belien. 

She’s won over the NBA athletes with the Spurs. She’s learned from a GOAT coach. I like it. 

I actually know Becky Hammon a little. Certainly not well, but the now ex-wife of 1 of my oldest friends was an asst coach at CSU when she was there and they’ve been close friends ever since. Interacted with her maybe half a dozen times through the years. Very bright. Super impressive. But, no thank you. IU basketball is a circus on it’s best day. Adding a social variable like that is just way too volatile for me. If I’m gonna poach a bright young Asst, and I don’t think that’s the way to go at all, I would just take Kyle Neptune off of Jay Wright’s bench and call it a day.