Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Ooooook who’s your # 2?

JB will be the detonation of my IUBB diehard fandom.  

If that happens,  I will put this program on the back burner.  It would be the saddest day in my life as a fan.  Any thought of blue blood status and it’s return would be done for me.

It sounds dramatic but it’s my truth.  

please don’t let this happen. 

Edited by WayneFleekHoosier

I truly don't understand those who are 1000% opposed to John Beilein. Yes, he's old. Yes, he won't be here long term but guess what - with the way we've reacted in recent years to coaches - NO ONE not named Brad Stevens will be here very long if the results aren't there. We just fired Archie after 4 years bc he sucked. The same thing will happen to Beard, Oats, Musselman, Drew, or whoever is hired. You can't come here now and say things will be different this time around - they won't. 

Beilein is the surest bet right now if you ask me if we want to be contending. Please don't give me the **** about what he said. He made a mistake and I'm willing to bet most recruits either don't know about it or have forgotten. Kids in HS don't pay attention to that nonsense or what JB was doing in Cleveland. Now - will other coaches use it against him - that's a valid point. But I'd even go as far as to say kids will look at the fact that he coached in the NBA as a positive.

13 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

That would make our a coach combined 250 years old or so.  No thanks.

But a lot of combined final four runs. Obviously a joke but what a wild ride it would be if they all were coaches. 

9 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

I truly don't understand those who are 1000% opposed to John Beilein. Yes, he's old. Yes, he won't be here long term but guess what - with the way we've reacted in recent years to coaches - NO ONE not named Brad Stevens will be here very long if the results aren't there. We just fired Archie after 4 years bc he sucked. The same thing will happen to Beard, Oats, Musselman, Drew, or whoever is hired. You can't come here now and say things will be different this time around - they won't. 

Beilein is the surest bet right now if you ask me if we want to be contending. Please don't give me the **** about what he said. He made a mistake and I'm willing to bet most recruits either don't know about it or have forgotten. Kids in HS don't pay attention to that nonsense or what JB was doing in Cleveland. Now - will other coaches use it against him - that's a valid point. I'd even go as far as to say kids will look at the fact that he coached in the NBA as a positive.

I just don't see him coaching more than five or six years, and if he does then he's going to be really old for a D1 coach. In either scenario, what sell can he make after his first few recruiting classes?

1 hour ago, Magisterium said:

you OK w/ Patrick Beilein? 'cause that's who we very well might get if John B is hired as Head Coach

ask the folks at Niagara what they think of Patrick now

If John could perform the next 5-6 years like he did the last 5-6 years st Michigan? I'm good with Patrick... don't mean we have to give Patrick the job when John leaves. I did qualify what I said.

I’m on the Jon Scheyer train. Young and upcoming coach.  Was a finalist to get the Pitt job. It’s not a sure thing, but if anyone thinks they have a realistic sure thing out there, I’d call them a liar.  Could be our coach for the next 30+ years if things go well

4 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

I just don't see him coaching more than five or six years, and if he does then he's going to be really old for a D1 coach. In either case, what does he have to offer after his first few recruiting classes?

We'll be a contender for a NC within 2-3 years.

He'll get our program to a respectable level and that's how people need to look at him. As a bridge between where we are now (complete trash) to knocking on the door of where we want to be (back to blue blood status). Once we're there, every coach in the nation will be begging for a phone call from IU - including he who must not be named at the moment. 

The man can coach winners with lesser talent - sound like someone the majority of us are all sad about? 

55 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight69 said:

I’m on the Jon Scheyer train. Young and upcoming coach.  Was a finalist to get the Pitt job. It’s not a sure thing, but if anyone thinks they have a realistic sure thing out there, I’d call them a liar.  Could be our coach for the next 30+ years if things go well

Many thought the same thing about Archie -- and he was a proven head coach at the mid-major level. ... Scheyer has never been a head coach -- anywhere. So I'm not quite ready to hand him the keys to the franchise yet. Also, it's really hit and miss (mostly miss) on Coach K assistants: Wojo (failure). Brey (mild thumbs up). Dawkins (meh). Ammaker (meh). Collins (meh). Capel (meh). Snyder (thumbs down in college; thumbs up in NBA -- fantastic head of hair, though).  Hurley (meh). 

For my money, this is an easy pass. 

4 minutes ago, BayernFan said:

IU needs to hire a coach who is a student of the game, loves to teach it, has won championships everywhere including overseas, has adapted to the changes of the game and Players over the last 40 years, and is already in the HOF.

Bobby Knight?

Cant be Rick Pitino; he won’t be an option because he’s about to get hit with a show cause,

and also because outside of Dave Bliss he may be the biggest scumbag ever to patrol anyone’s sideline.

Beard is my number 2 but I have a strong feeling that Thad Matta is going to end up being our next coach. He seriously considered the Georgia job and that tells me that he’s wanting to get back into coaching but being very picky with his choice. IU calls, he takes it IMO. I’d be happy with Matta. 

We'll be a contender for a NC within 2-3 years.
He'll get our program to a respectable level and that's how people need to look at him. As a bridge between where we are now (complete trash) to knocking on the door of where we want to be (back to blue blood status). Once we're there, every coach in the nation will be begging for a phone call from IU - including he who must not be named at the moment. 
The man can coach winners with lesser talent - sound like someone the majority of us are all sad about? 

Agree to disagree.

No way we are national championship contenders in 2-3 seasons. He built that at Michigan over a long stretch at a younger age. He’s in the extreme twilight of his career. Hard to see him out working the coaches of the B1G in recruiting or in any facet. For what? A 5 year window at maximum.

We won’t be any more desirable then than we are now. Money and a chance at a top program is the draw. Same draw now as it’ll have then. Get our guy now. If we strike out, keep trying. Getting JB only ensures another transition.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Agree to disagree.

No way we are national championship contenders in 2-3 seasons. He built that at Michigan over a long stretch at a younger age. He’s in the extreme twilight of his career. Hard to see him out working the coaches of the B1G in recruiting or in any facet. For what? A 5 year window at maximum.

We won’t be any more desirable then than we are now. Money and a chance at a top program is the draw. Same draw now as it’ll have then. Get our guy now. If we strike out, keep trying. Getting JB only ensures another transition.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Agree and don’t worry—I have reasonable faith that Dolson is far too smart to hire a 68 year old.

If Dolson wants an NBA style, I say we make an offer to Becky Hammon. That’s a story I’d be proud of and I think she’d do exceptionally well. Unfortunately, I have no idea how recruits and parent would react. Toxic masculinity is still very much an issue in sports.

Just now, LostInLouisville said:

If Dolson wants an NBA style, I say we make an offer to Becky Hammon. That’s a story I’d be proud of and I think she’d do exceptionally well. Unfortunately, I have no idea how recruits and parent would react. Toxic masculinity is still very much an issue in sports.

I actually wouldn't be opposed to this. Why the hell not? At the very least, the world will love us.

But she's an NBAer and according to all the arrogant NBA writers and insiders, no NBA coach would ever leave the almighty NBA for any college job. 

2 minutes ago, LostInLouisville said:

I don’t think she has the coaching pedigree yet, plus she’s never coached college on any level. This wouldn’t really make sense to me at all. 

2 minutes ago, BayernFan said:

That’s ironic.  Because Pitino is still coaching kids to championships and Indiana is a program that appears to be on probation and sanctions.  Funny. 

but IU is too good for Pitino.  Lol. 

It doesn't really matter if IU is or isnt too good for Pitino. Pitino has already been on record saying he would coach the rest of his career at Iona and that he doesn't have interest in the IU job, even though he said complimentary thinga about IU. He called it a Top 5 job

Hello, just wanted to say that I keep seeing people bring up JB and Matta.  I am one to believe that it would have been announced by now if that was the case.  Kids going into the transfer portal and the media attention they would get from the announcement would be huge. Our candidate has to still be coaching.  No way they fire Archie, pay all that money, then wait weeks to sign someone that doesn’t have a job.  

5 minutes ago, wirenuts said:

It doesn't really matter if IU is or isnt too good for Pitino. Pitino has already been on record saying he would coach the rest of his career at Iona and that he doesn't have interest in the IU job, even though he said complimentary thinga about IU. He called it a Top 5 job

giphy.gif