Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Ooooook who’s your # 2?

This board is really sleeping on Scott Drew. The rebuild he undertook at Baylor was beyond anything anyone has ever taken on before. And he built it into a national power. 

I get people think he's sleezy, but the NCAA has been all over that program and never found anything meaningful that he's done wrong.

Plus he's an Indiana guy to boot.

2 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

This board is really sleeping on Scott Drew. The rebuild he undertook at Baylor was beyond anything anyone has ever taken on before. And he built it into a national power. 

I get people think he's sleezy, but the NCAA has been all over that program and never found anything meaningful that he's done wrong.

It's mainly the fact that he's a sleezebag, looks like a used car salesman, and allowed (and kept on staff) an assistant who threatened to deport a recruit. Other than that - bring him on. Dude can coach. 

Not sure Dolson can go from a clean-cut guy like Brad Stevens to Scott Drew.

10 minutes ago, BayernFan said:

I’m thinking it would be Smart before Alford  

Maybe. I’m not a Alford fan. If it’s Smart, then get him some college coaches as assistants to help with that transition. 

12 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

It's mainly the fact that he's a sleezebag, looks like a used car salesman, and allowed (and kept on staff) an assistant who threatened to deport a recruit. Other than that - bring him on. Dude can coach. 

Not sure Dolson can go from a clean-cut guy like Brad Stevens to Scott Drew.

I get the recruit deportation thing, not a great look. But aside from that, what has he done? There haven't been any major sanctions against the program under his watch. 

Edited by IU Prof

2 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

I get the recruit deportation thing, not a great look. But aside from that, what has he done? There haven't been any major sanctions against the program under his watch. 

He hasn't done anything wrong. I was mainly joking. 

I'd love Drew. There have been conflicting reports in the media (I know, I know). Some say he'd be heavily interested, others say he wouldn't even talk to us. If the boosters are running the show, I think it's a long shot and that's part of the problem at IU right now. 

We could take a shot in the dark (with a hope and a prayer) and throw the alleged Stevens offer toward Wright, pipe dream though.

My second is Beard.  After Stevens though there's not really someone I'm sold on as a 20 year guy or would give 7 mil to.

Catching up on overnight posts and saw a string related to Jay Wright.  Great coach and a sharp dresser.  In all of his years in coaching, he's only spent 2 years west of  the Appalachians and at age 60, I don't see him leaving the east coast for the midwest.  I'm not implying his age is a hindrance to coaching merely that at that age, I think he's less likely to want to start over in a completely different culture, i.e., east coast vs. midwest.  And he's already got a pretty good gig at 'Nova.

I believe we need to offer Few, Wright, and Bennett the $7 mil deal and make them say no. Obviously, this would have to be back-channeled from Dolson so that word isn’t getting out that we actually “are” that desperate.

The Hail Mary often doesn’t work out, but Dolson may be our Aaron Rodgers.

If/When they say no then we move to Beard/Beilein/Oats/Drew crowd (whichever Dolson has on his short list).

9 minutes ago, tomallenfan1 said:

I believe we need to offer Few, Wright, and Bennett the $7 mil deal and make them say no. Obviously, this would have to be back-channeled from Dolson so that word isn’t getting out that we actually “are” that desperate.

If/When they say no then we move to Beard/Beilein/Oats/Drew crowd (whichever Dolson has on his short list).

It doesn’t hurt to try

56 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

If Drew wants the job, give it to him. I’m a little concerned that our options aren’t what we originally thought they’d be. I personally like Beard the most. I think he absolutely murders it at Indiana. 

Just now, IUc2016 said:

If we get one of those, I’ll be fine. Each has their flaws but so does every coach.

C’mon Scott, there is still a lot of opportunity to get this done. Go Hoosiers.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm not going to address what happened yesterday, but I find it hard to believe that the IU brass doesn't have a plan B or C or even D. I think it's one of these four. 

For @Chris007 and @ISP and @IUwins0708 and all of the other insiders, I'm curious to learn if Dolson and the bag men are still fighting for Brad, or, if they've moved on, who they've moved on to. Are the decision makers bound and determined to make IU great and spend the same money on another coach? For example, are they willing to approach Billy D. and throw all the money at him -- despite his new gig with the Bulls -- to exhaust every option? 

48 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Catching up on overnight posts and saw a string related to Jay Wright.  Great coach and a sharp dresser.  In all of his years in coaching, he's only spent 2 years west of  the Appalachians and at age 60, I don't see him leaving the east coast for the midwest.  I'm not implying his age is a hindrance to coaching merely that at that age, I think he's less likely to want to start over in a completely different culture, i.e., east coast vs. midwest.  And he's already got a pretty good gig at 'Nova.

Yeah...2 NCAA titles... and you have to imagine that he's been approached and turned down offers.  As you say, he's got a good thing going at Villanova.

Just now, ziggyiu said:

For @Chris007 and @ISP and @IUwins0708 and all of the other insiders, I'm curious to learn if Dolson and the bag men are still fighting for Brad, or, if they've moved on, who they've moved on to. Are the decision makers bound and determined to make IU great and spend the same money on another coach? For example, are they willing to approach Billy D. and throw all the money at him -- despite his new gig with the Bulls -- to exhaust every option? 

Great question. I still have hope but don't know why. I don't understand Boston paying Brad all that money with the situation Boston is in. I also don't understand IU meeting the back-and-forth demands of a professional and then having said professional go back on his reported word to get a raise at his current job. Tacky if true. If you know a donor/donors stepped up for you specificall, and you gave your word, you keep your word. If....

3 hours ago, tortex28 said:

John B. is to old, most candidates won't come, so lets go get Cheaney or Fife and be done with it.

That is a pretty broad statement. Besides, we don't need "most" we need one. The right one. 

Settling for a former player without any P5 Div 1 coaching experience is a drastic panic move. 

1 hour ago, tomallenfan1 said:

Agree with the approach, don't agree that makes IU "desperate" though. We fired our coach and need a new one. Reaching out to the best in business is the opposite of desperate. Talking about Fife & Cheaney is though. Don't even need to offer the big names $7mil. Just ask if they are interested in discussing- these guys know the drill. If they say "no" keep moving on until you find the best guy that says "yes". It's not as sexy as grabbing Stevens right out of the gate, but it's the way this usually works.  

28 minutes ago, ziggyiu said:

If Brad indeed said no, I hope Dolson moves on and shuts the door. As a man who's been rejected by the fairer sex plenty of times in my lifetime, I can tell you people want what they can't have. Continually throwing ourselves at someone who has said no shows what little respect we have for ourselves and IU. In short - we'd look pathetic. Get it out there that we've moved on and plenty of other out there want the job and will take it and maybe he thinks twice. 

If his season continues this way, the noise in Boston will get louder and louder and he may have a change of heart pretty quickly.