Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Nate Oats (Alabama)

This is who I want. I know there were reports he wouldn't be interested but this the same guy that said Buffalo was the next Gonzaga and then took the Alabama job the next week. 

He fits everything Dolson said he wanted in the next coach. Offer him 5 million and make him decline. 

I don't see this happening.

He has a good program. He said he's extremely happy at the moment. 

He has a $12.40 million dollar buy-out. 

Throw in our $10 million owed to Archie

Throw in the next contract for Nate Oats which would start around $6 million I'd imagine.

I just don't see Indiana being that serious for anyone other than Brad Stevens. 

I don’t think he’s in play unfortunately, but he’s my top pick along with Beard. I love Beard too but I think Oat’s teams would be more fun to watch.

2 hours ago, Treesh said:

I don't see this happening.

He has a good program. He said he's extremely happy at the moment. 

He has a $12.40 million dollar buy-out. 

Throw in our $10 million owed to Archie

Throw in the next contract for Nate Oats which would start around $6 million I'd imagine.

I just don't see Indiana being that serious for anyone other than Brad Stevens. 

Even with his raise he makes $3.225M/year. We could offer $4.5M and pay the $12M buyout and in 6 years we’d have spent less than we would have on BS. Not saying we should, but I do like this guy. The BS scenario seems to suggest that an Oats $$ package isn’t as big of a deal than we thought.

1 hour ago, Hovadipo said:

Nate Oats has been a head coach for 6 seasons. In those 6 seasons he has won:

-3 conference coach of the year awards

-4 conference tournaments

-3 conference regular season titles

Plays a fun style, has no filter, is young, is affordable outside of his buyout. I’m in. 

Yep, plus he went to the same college as Tom Allen.....coincidence....or fate? :) 

I love him as a coach, but don't think the finances work. He's a good bet, but not worth the $$ it would take, IMO. 

I admittedly haven’t watch Alabama play so I’ll be interested to watch them today and Monday. Regarding the buyout, who cares if it’s a large price tag? Dolson already got a donor to pony up the costs to “near unlimited” amounts. I don’t care if IU pays the next coach $10 mil a year. It’s not like we’ve got a statewide referendum on the new coach’s salary and our property taxes are going up.

Also if you consider yourself a top college bb coach, wouldn’t you want to go to a basketball school? I googled “Alabama game” yesterday to see when they played and there wasn’t a single mention of the NCAA tournament, only the spring football game.