Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Scott Drew (Baylor)

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Treesh if we don't get Elite Eight Drew then we're going to get Meme Team Mike. 

I'll personally drag Matta's broken body to the sideline. I trust him over Woodson. 

Hell. I might even trust Thad over Drew. 

1 minute ago, Unexpectedflash said:

I'm giving him a pass those first five years but I get it if you don't. Doesn't help his team last year didn't get to play in the tourney. Don't think there's another coach out there that has been in the top 5 the for 30 straight weeks or whatever that Baylor has that would come here. 

We need Final Fours! CTC basically got us the results Drew has gotten at Baylor. Maybe Scott wins here but... eh. 

Just now, Treesh said:

I'll personally drag Matta's broken body to the sideline. I trust him over Woodson. 

We need Final Fours! CTC basically got us the results Drew has gotten at Baylor. Maybe Scott wins here but... eh. 

I hold the multiple elite eights in higher regard than Crean's one final four run. Marquette fans were happy when Crean left. That should've told us all we needed to know. 

11 minutes ago, Treesh said:

You've been beating this drum for weeks now. Just curious...Baylor beats Nova on Saturday and Arkansas on Monday, what are your thoughts on Drew exactly 6 days from now?

2 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

You've been beating this drum for weeks now. Just curious...Baylor beats Nova on Saturday and Arkansas on Monday, what are your thoughts on Drew exactly 6 days from now?

Let's see what he does in a final four ;)

But Baylor has ****** my bracked for years. Drew will be out by Monday or whenever. 

5 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Let's see what he does in a final four ;)

But Baylor has ****** my bracked for years. Drew will be out by Monday or whenever. 

Haven't we covered this a few times too? :-) They had the back to back first round exits, which are more noticeable b/c they were back to back. His other teams have generally performed to their seeding and his elite 8 losses were to eventual national champions. And he's built the Indiana Football of basketball into a major player in college hoops. In my opinion if there are questions about Drew, it all off the court stuff, not on court results. 

I have a question for those closer to Indiana AAU ball and its importance. I haven’t lived in Indiana since 1991 and my kids played soccer and hockey, so have no knowledge of the inner workings of AAU basketball.

I understand the issue with Hanner and Indiana Elite. But would that bad blood really be enough to not hire Drew? Because if my son played for Indiana Elite (or any AAU problem), he would go to college that’s right for him. He wouldn’t boycott a school because of drama that happened 10 years ago.

I just seems like Drew would be a great coach at IU. And for all the sleaziness I read about him, it seems to come down to the Hanner situation, which he didn’t handle well. OK, so let’s move on.

Am I being naive with that thinking?

43 minutes ago, Papacap said:

I have a question for those closer to Indiana AAU ball and its importance. I haven’t lived in Indiana since 1991 and my kids played soccer and hockey, so have no knowledge of the inner workings of AAU basketball.

I understand the issue with Hanner and Indiana Elite. But would that bad blood really be enough to not hire Drew? Because if my son played for Indiana Elite (or any AAU problem), he would go to college that’s right for him. He wouldn’t boycott a school because of drama that happened 10 years ago.

I just seems like Drew would be a great coach at IU. And for all the sleaziness I read about him, it seems to come down to the Hanner situation, which he didn’t handle well. OK, so let’s move on.

Am I being naive with that thinking?

Heard this week that the AAU coaches, especially at Indiana Elite, are not a fan of his.  Not sure how true but I would bet IE would feel negative about someone doing that to one of their players 

Drew would be a solid hire. Not in my first couple of choices, but not nearly as bad as an IU guy or Moser flash in the pan either.

He has shown he knows how to build a program in a tough environment. Plays in a legit conference, recruits high level guys. Checks most of the boxes. Still a number of questions, but if he gets the job I won't be despondent, like I would with Alford or Lewis. 

I'm not sure why he'd want to leave Baylor. Has it rolling at a high enough level there now I would think he'd want to stay and enjoy that, but who knows? 

Drew would be a home run hire. He has Indiana ties. He turned a football school with a nonexistent basketball culture into a powerhouse. We would become elite again with Scott Drew as a head coach. 
Until yesterday he was my #1 choice. He's still #2. Discouraged to hear we won't even reach out

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Until yesterday he was my #1 choice. He's still #2. Discouraged to hear we won't even reach out

It’s so discouraging. IU cares more about being clean than the NCAA does. The inevitable underwhelming hire is going to be all the more underwhelming knowing that Drew was interested but we refused to consider him. 

It’s so discouraging. IU cares more about being clean than the NCAA does. The inevitable underwhelming hire is going to be all the more underwhelming knowing that Drew was interested but we refused to consider him. 
A perceived to be underwhelming hire could still turn out very well. I understand your point and I also feel like we'd be wasting a chance at a sure fire coach for 20 years