Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Scott Drew (Baylor)

ALL COACHING THREADS ARE FOR THE COACH IN THE TITLE. MUCH LIKE RECRUITING THREADS, ON THESE THREADS WE WILL BE STRICTLY ENFORCING STAYING ON-TOPIC. POSTS WILL BE HIDDEN AND REPEAT OFFENDERS WILL BE SENT PACKING. 

Discuss. 

Seems like this one most likely isn’t happening and, frankly, I’m fine with it. His teams are fun to watch when they’re good though. 
Why do you say that out of curiosity? That it isn't likely.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I’m fine standing alone on this.  I really like this option.  He can recruit.  He wins. He’s young-ish.  He has ties to Indiana, not that I care, but he wouldn’t be motivated to leave.  Fun tempo and style.  I don’t understand the hate, besides the Hanner Parea stories which we have limited knowledge about.  He gets it done.  No cool factor, but most coaches don’t. 

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’m fine standing alone on this.  I really like this option.  He can recruit.  He wins. He’s young-ish.  He has ties to Indiana, not that I care, but he wouldn’t be motivated to leave.  Fun tempo and style.  I don’t understand the hate, besides the Hanner Parea stories which we have limited knowledge about.  He gets it done.  No cool factor, but most coaches don’t. 

I would like him a lot too. I think he might actually be my first choice if we can't get Brad Stevens. He flops in the tournament sometimes but his teams win a lot of games. And he's doing it at a school that had four tournament appearances in school history before he came along. He'd have access to higher quality recruits at Indiana, too. 

18 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Why do you say that out of curiosity? That it isn't likely.

Just based on general speculation I’ve seen. Can’t keep straight where info is coming from this week lol. 

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Of the names being thrown around, Drew is my choice after Stevens. So you're not alone.

Just based on general speculation I’ve seen. Can’t keep straight where info is coming from this week lol. 
Gotcha. Just didn't know if he had said something. Good call on separating candidates btw.

I'm really disappointed in the things a few posters that had access to Perea and what Doyle said about the whole situation.  

How do you stoop that low?  Even if it was all on the assistant, Drew kept him on staff for 4 more years.  

He can coach.  I like Bryce better as a personality and thought he would be the one to shoot for the stars as a coach and still may.

Edited by Notithatlives

I'm really disappointed in the things a few posters that had access to Perea and what Doyle said about the whole situation.  
How do you stoop that low?  Even if it was all on the assistant, Drew kept him on staff for 4 more years.  
He can coach.  I like Bryce better as a personality and thought he would be the one to shoot for the stars as a coach and still may.
I'd imagine recruiting battles are brutal and if you were to disqualify every coach for the shady crap they do during said battles you probably wouldn't have any candidates. He really hasn't had anything else ever come out like that. Sometimes people learn lessons and become better for it.

Listen.

We want to criticize Archie for all the missed shots. The body language. Free throws whatever. It’s only fair we hold Scott accountable for the Hanner situation as well.

I got to hang out with Hanner my freshman year at Indiana. He’s a fun love guy. And to think a coaching staff member threatened to deport him or whatever.. not cool. Scott Dolson was here for the whole situation I might add.

Hard pass on this guy. Two elite 8’s in 18 years?!? CTC got a final four and more in less time. 

16 hours ago, rcs29 said:

I'd imagine recruiting battles are brutal and if you were to disqualify every coach for the shady crap they do during said battles you probably wouldn't have any candidates. He really hasn't had anything else ever come out like that. Sometimes people learn lessons and become better for it.

Probably so but it is much, much easier to hide things at Baylor than it would be at IU. If Drew were a better coach and there were strong indications that A) the HP situation was the only shady thing occurring and that B) the shady occurrences were in the past, then it might be worth the risk. As it currently stands Drew has the lowest upside and the highest risk at IU. 

17 hours ago, Treesh said:

Listen.

We want to criticize Archie for all the missed shots. The body language. Free throws whatever. It’s only fair we hold Scott accountable for the Hanner situation as well.

I got to hang out with Hanner my freshman year at Indiana. He’s a fun love guy. And to think a coaching staff member threatened to deport him or whatever.. not cool. Scott Dolson was here for the whole situation I might add.

Hard pass on this guy. Two elite 8’s in 18 years?!? CTC got a final four and more in less time. 

With you here. There was a lot of back chatter surrounding the whole Hanner situation, and the threat to deport a player is just so ridiculously outside any thread of decency in "recruiting" that it's just not something you say well, recruiting is tough. There's been back chatter on dirty recruiting tactics surrounding Drew for some time. I just don't see the U going there, and there's enough smoke there that I'd personally not want any part of the risk.