Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Thad Matta

Just now, Hovadipo said:

Matta was 14-7 against Beilein. 

Tom Crean owned Belien! I don’t know the numbers , just going off memory. 

But Belein was in a national championship game a couple years ago. 

Matta 2007. 

8 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Being able to go out to eat in public and not being recognized for one.   He could do that at Ohio St, good luck with that at Bloomington 

Maybe he just wants to stick it to the buckeyes. Lord knows I would.

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

Not getting stop every 5 min for stuff. Of course he would be recognized but not nearly as bad as it would be at IU.     2 National people, 1 local and 2 Ohio st writers have all said the same thing and told first hand stories of him talking about it 

Tom Allen said he was walking down the beach in Florida and some older couple stopped him because they recognized him.

6 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I’d take Belein over Matta all day

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

People are worried about Mattas health and want a 75 yr old man run out of his last job for making racially insensitive comments? I’d love to hear the rationale on that one.

3 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Matta was 14-7 against Beilein. 

Thank you so much for digging that up lol.  I still take Beilein all day if it came down to the two of them.  A lot has changed.  But I’m not going against the Hova.  His picture scares me.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Tom Allen said he was walking down the beach in Florida and some older couple stopped him because they recognized him.

I’m just telling what was said by people who are closer to it then me.    If it was only from 1 place I would be skeptical but hearing basically the same thing over and over it sticks.   As always on a free message board people should take the information and draw their own conclusions

32 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Only concern should be whether IU is a good fit for Matta not is Matta a good fit for IU.    I’ve seen too many reports elsewhere that say he wants nothing to do with a job like IU

Well, he's reportedly previously been approached by Wichita State, interviewed at Georgia when Crean got hired and decided that wasn't a job he wanted, and had been approached by Penn State.  I'm not sure what job interests him but that's quite a wide range.  Also think if he has no interest in IU he can shoot that down pretty quick.

Has taken me some time to warm up to Matta, but his record is really solid. I think it would be mal-practice not to make the call and feel him out. He should only take a moderate salary to get him (maybe load it with incentives) so use those savings to recruit a killer staff to take the burden off Thad?

1 minute ago, IU - Kaulie said:

Thank you so much for digging that up lol.  I still take Beilein all day if it came down to the two of them.  A lot has changed.  But I’m not going against the Hova.  His picture scares me.

I’m not against Beilein at all though in fairness. I just think they’re pretty close as coaches. 

I’m a hugger. 

4 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

Both are really good coaches.  Beilein's comments in Cleveland would be used against him in recruiting.  You have a succession plan in place with him; maybe the last 20 years have me cynical but I have little faith they'll get the HC hire right, throw in succession plan and I'm certain they'll screw it up.

Beilein and Matta are both great coaches with big red flags. Matta has a bad back. Beilein is a senior citizen who called his last team a bunch of thugs. When push comes to shove, I’d rather have Matta. His back might be ok while Beilein isn’t getting any younger.

So I don’t live in Bloomington so I’m just wondering are the fans really that annoying that it could scare off this many coaches? I’ve heard about the spotlight scaring away Holtmann and now Matta. I just find it hard to believe the people in Columbus don’t recognize their basketball coach if he’s out but maybe I’m wrong.

Edited by Unexpectedflash

4 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

So I don’t live in Bloomington so I’m just wondering are the fans really that annoying that it could scare off this many coach’s?

Indeed. 

Edited by Nonymouse

17 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Beilein and Matta are both great coaches with big red flags. Matta has a bad back. Beilein is a senior citizen who called his last team a bunch of thugs. When push comes to shove, I’d rather have Matta. His back might be ok while Beilein isn’t getting any younger.

I know that’s true.  That’s why I really like Beilein with a Fife/Lewis.  I don’t really remember the last time I saw Matta in college.  The last time I saw Beilein he was jumping around with his players in the locker room in the Final Four.  I just have more of a feeling that Beilein gets us knocking on the door to a Final Four in a couple years.  I don’t get that same feeling with Thad Matta.  I know the feelings of a 22 year old girl don’t matter much though lol.  That’s just where I’m at and I trust that Dolson will get it right.

11 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

So I don’t live in Bloomington so I’m just wondering are the fans really that annoying that it could scare off this many coaches? I’ve heard about the spotlight scaring away Holtmann and now Matta. I just find it hard to believe the people in Columbus don’t recognize their basketball coach if he’s out but maybe I’m wrong.

I don't buy that for a second. Look at some of the fan-bases around college and some of the crappy locations that still have coaches. Some of them are even competitive. 

This narrative that IU fans are unusual or driving people away is silly. That doesn't mean it's the right job for everyone. I get it if a coach doesn't want the high expectations of IU. For instance if I am Scott Drew, why leave a low expectation program I built to a top 10 power to start all over someplace with a tougher conference  (competitive & academically) that will expect results in 2-3 years? It's a challenge, but "boo-hoo, the fans are demanding" is foolishness, imo. 

2 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I know that’s true.  That’s why I really like Beilein with a Fife/Lewis.  I don’t really remember the last time I saw Matta in college.  The last time I saw Beilein he was jumping around with his players in the locker room in the Final Four.  I just have more of a feeling that Beilein gets us knocking on the door to a Final Four in a couple years.  I don’t get that same feeling with Thad Matta.  I know the feelings of a 22 year old girl don’t matter much though lol.  That’s just where I’m at and I trust that Dolson will get it right.

You are VERY wrong, 22 yo girls' feelings matter very much in the right context! 

Being able to go out to eat in public and not being recognized for one.   He could do that at Ohio St, good luck with that at Bloomington 
So he's the type that would want to coach in a large city vs small college town? Actually checks out....Indy, Cincy and Columbus. I can understand that if it's in fact the case.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

If you trust Dolson to do the right thing, then you should trust that he's done his research (or is doing his research) on Matta. 

None of us know how Matta's back feels, but you can assume that if talks go forward Matta must really want the job and he has proven his back is ready for the grind. (It has been noted that Matta grew up an IU fan. He once said IU was his dream job.) 

His last two years weren't up to his standards or the standards that OSU had set for him, but everything before those two years -- his accomplishments at Butler, Xavier and OSU are exactly what we want. He has proven his system works from program to program to program. He has proven he can recruit at a very high level. He has won multiple conference and conference tournament championships. He has made multiple deep NCAA tournament runs. He knows the state of Indiana high school hoops. He knows the B1G. He has a better resume than just about any coach IU could consider.

He has now taken the opportunity to get his health in order.

If he is healthy and IU has reassurances that it is, and he presents a plan to restore IU to greatness it's prudent to examine it before making a decision.