Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Thad Matta

52 minutes ago, mbredenk101 said:

Goodman wants us to have a no name guy that will produce worse results than Archie.

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

Then he can write articles for the next few years saying how toxic our fanbase is, how we should have stuck with his good buddy Miller, and how we just need to accept that we are a crappy program now.

**** that guy, seriously, he should be on ignore for every Indiana fan.

Matta was a tremendous coach and recruiter.  I'm in if he can handle it.

One thing that gives me pause is that OSU bought him out.  I thought he quit due to health concerns, but OSU paid him $9M to go away.  That just sounds strange, was there something we didn't know there?  I guess as long as Donson does his due diligence I'm good with it.

Just now, Josh said:

Matta was a tremendous coach and recruiter.  I'm in if he can handle it.

One thing that gives me pause is that OSU bought him out.  I thought he quit due to health concerns, but OSU paid him $9M to go away.  That just sounds strange, was there something we didn't know there?  I guess as long as Donson does his due diligence I'm good with it.

OSU was sucking that’s why. Fired him in the heart of summer. Recruits were down. Bad!

Just now, Treesh said:

OSU was sucking that’s why. Fired him in the heart of summer. Recruits were down. Bad!

He had two bad years after the tenure he gave them, and they fired him because of it?  Ehhh...disagree

Just now, Josh said:

He had two bad years after the tenure he gave them, and they fired him because of it?  Ehhh...disagree

Well.. he hasn’t had a job since then. If he was healthy like the video that keeps getting posted then...  ?

If you love coaching you don’t quit. He’s been sitting at home the past four years. If you love coaching you get right back into it wherever. 

Just now, Treesh said:

Well.. he hasn’t had a job since then. If he was healthy like the video that keeps getting posted then...  ?

If you love coaching you don’t quit. He’s been sitting at home the past four years. If you love coaching you get right back into it wherever. 

Worse take than the previous.

3 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Yeah, coaching is great.  But have you ever tried relaxing on a big pile of money?  It's pretty great too.

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

Yeah, coaching is great.  But have you ever tried relaxing on a big pile of money?  It's pretty great too.

We’e going to hire a guy that has decided to sit around on his butt and swim in his money instead pursing his passion? After four years?

Wow. 

8 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Horrible, horrible take.  If that's the case, then he would immediately have been hired by another power school.

What are you even talking about? I’m confused by your post. 

What if Stevens would have taken the last 4 years off? Would people want him now? What if Andrew Luck wanted to come out of retirement? Would teams want to pick him up? I don't think Matta has forgotten how to coach. Questions about his health are valid, however, he knows how to win, knows how to run a program, etc.

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

What are you even talking about? I’m confused by your post. 

Your take that he was fired at Ohio State because 'they sucked'.  I'm not sure why you are so angry at Matta taking time to get healthy and not coming back to coach unless he found the right fit.  Hell, if we're the right fit I'll take that ten times out of ten times over a guy who sees us as a stepping stone, which could be what Beard (looking for the Texas job) or Musselman (looking for an NBA job) are.

1 minute ago, mbredenk101 said:

What if Stevens would have taken the last 4 years off? Would people want him now? What if Andrew Luck wanted to come out of retirement? Would teams want to pick him up? I don't think Matta has forgotten how to coach. Questions about his health are valid, however, he knows how to win, knows how to run a program, etc.

Yes. 

The Bears. 

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

He had health issues.  Now he feels better.  I think it's that simple.

Well you mentioned he didn’t quit for health issues so I was arguing your point. 

I posted this in another thread, but I’ll post it here too. Thad Matta has coached in a final four game more recently than Brad Stevens has. Brad has obviously been busy doing other things, but Matta isn’t some dinosaur. He was an absolutely elite coach, and he did it in the same conference IU is in. There’s no reason to think that a healthy Matta wouldn’t be anything other than great at IU. I don’t really understand any non-health concerns when it comes to him.