Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Thad Matta

Not saying Matta should necessarily be our next coach, but I wonder why Goodman says IU "Doesn't fit him at all." 

Matta spent several years coaching in Indiana (albeit not at IU), lives in Indianapolis, has years of B1G experience, is very media savvy, has a bit of a personality (unlike the ultra-serious Archie). Other than the possible health issues, he'd be a very solid choice. What doesn't fit? 

Not saying Matta should necessarily be our next coach, but I wonder why Goodman says IU "Doesn't fit him at all." 
Matta spent several years coaching in Indiana (albeit not at IU), lives in Indianapolis, has years of B1G experience, is very media savvy, has a bit of a personality (unlike the ultra-serious Archie). Other than the possible health issues, he'd be a very solid choice. What doesn't fit? 

And if I remember right (Oden, Titus, Conley, Thomas) has no problem recruiting Indiana kids haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The day I actually feel upset over an ESPN reject is the day I’ve gone mentally soft.
Id be desperate for attention too if I worked for a publication called *checks notes* Stadium...

I don’t understand how a born and raised Hoosier (Brad Stevens) wouldn’t want to coach IU Men’s basketball, but since he said no to IU, if Matta is healthy, and that’s a big if, I say bring him on board.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Goodman wants us to have a no name guy that will produce worse results than Archie.

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

57 minutes ago, MemphisHoosier said:

Does anyone remember how/why Matta lost his 2016/2017 squads?  Up until that point, his program was really humming, was it purely physical limitations impacting other aspects of his life?  His KenPom profile is fascinating to sat the least, he was on a HoF trajectory - until it wasn't?

462872433_ScreenShot2021-03-21at3_10_28PM.thumb.png.d1d04219adf01395a452be369e241110.png

They said other coaches were using Matta's health against him during recruiting because he wasn't able to go on some visits

Thad isn’t Goodman’s best friend Archie. Who he said was a great hire at the time and really wasn’t.

Thad also has a great resume and Goodman wants Indiana to fail due to firing Archie.

8 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Thad isn’t Goodman’s best friend Archie. Who he said was a great hire at the time and really wasn’t.

Thad also has a great resume and Goodman wants Indiana to fail due to firing Archie.

This brings up an interesting point, Archie coached under Thad for three seasons at OSU, '07-'09.  Is there a sense of 'loyalty' that would keep Thad from interviewing/taking the IU job in light of Archie's recent dismissal?  I have no insight into the coaching fraternity so I am just throwing it out there.

15 minutes ago, 323SGrant said:

I don’t understand how a born and raised Hoosier (Brad Stevens) wouldn’t want to coach IU Men’s basketball, but since he said no to IU, if Matta is healthy, and that’s a big if, I say bring him on board.

I can understand not wanting to leave the NBA. Much less of a grind than College Hoops. Much less pressure too. 

24 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I think the prevailing thought is that Matta isn't looking for a 'fishbowl' atmosphere or the spotlight that the Indiana job would bring at this stage in his life.

This brings up an interesting point, Archie coached under Thad for three seasons at OSU, '07-'09.  Is there a sense of 'loyalty' that would keep Thad from interviewing/taking the IU job in light of Archie's recent dismissal?  I have no insight into the coaching fraternity so I am just throwing it out there.

That has been asked before and is a fair question. Not sure anyone knows, but Thad is a competitor and IU is a chance for him to win at the highest level. Could be hard to pass up

Plus I think Archie would have 100% taken the OSU job after Thad was let go

I can understand not wanting to leave the NBA. Much less of a grind than College Hoops. Much less pressure too. 

I hear you. I was really looking forward to him, in time doing some very good things at IU. Not sure of his or his wife’s reason for rejecting IU. We’ve had quite a few discussions about the pros and cons of coaching in college or the NBA. Bring on Matta!

24 minutes ago, HoosierDYT said:

I've heard Matta has trouble getting to his seats at Butler and getting to and from his car at his gym in Indy. Could just be the rumor mill, but for that reason I find this potential hire tough to believe. 

Certainly a terrific coach, though. 

Watch this. He says he is pain free for a few years and he certainly looks good but granted he is sitting 

Watch this. He says he is pain free for a few years and he certainly looks good but granted he is sitting 

What was that produced for? Not sure how genuine that was. Terrible production also lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

What was that produced for? Not sure how genuine that was. Terrible production also lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Not sure at all. Someone else posted it in another thread.  The poster has a similar issue and mentioned that the stress of coaching could trigger a relapse like situation. I don’t think we have any idea really how his health is.