Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Thad Matta

I had a back/neck nerve issue -- pinched nerve in my lower neck.  would shoot completely through my right arm.  At its worst I was getting stingers going through my arm at a rate of three or four times in a minute.  Basically had to put my arm on top of my head to get any relief.  Tried physical therapy, chiropractors, injection, looked into back surgery where I was told there was maybe a 50% chance of it getting better with the potential of it making things worse.  Had to sleep in a recliner for six months and never had more than two hours of sleep before I had to get up and walk around in order to keep from getting locked up and unable to function.  Pain medication did nothing to it.....vicodin couldn't touch the pain.  Honestly was close to suicide as I couldn't imagine living with that kind of constant pain.  The first injection into my neck didn't touch it.....got a second shot but after it I wouldn't be able to get another for six months.  Thankfully, that injection did the trick.  Have suffered minor tweaks since then, but I now know the warning signs and what I can do to keep it fom getting worse.  Still have to sleep on side with my arm on my side (have to tuck my hand into my underwear, LOL) or I feel it in the morning.
So yes, back issues are nothing to mess around with.  Hope that Matta has gotten relief, not just so he can coach but so he can live life comfortably.

Glad to hear you have relief. Not nearly as bad but I developed neuropathy 15 years ago in the feet. Went undiagnosed for 5 years and had several surgeries but they were chasing the wrong things. The pain was not as bad as yours but was constant and definitely impacted my quality and enjoyment of life. Honestly thought about amputation but then my wife figured it out and we can manage. Even ran a few mini marathons.

Life with pain is just no joke. I sure hope Matta has found relief

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, AZ Hoosier said:

It tells me that he's not healthy... if he was, given his resume, he'd be working...

Or it took it a couple of years to be healthy and he didn't think that coming back during the current season would give him the best possibilities.  Wichita State's call was basically two weeks before they were to  have their first gaem.

16 minutes ago, Hooserfan1901 said:

According to Rick Bozich, it’s shifting to Thad Matta 

Hope it’s true. I think Matta is a great candidate. His resume speaks for itself. Get a clean bill of health from a doctor and bring him on board. 

Does anyone remember how/why Matta lost his 2016/2017 squads?  Up until that point, his program was really humming, was it purely physical limitations impacting other aspects of his life?  His KenPom profile is fascinating to sat the least, he was on a HoF trajectory - until it wasn't?

462872433_ScreenShot2021-03-21at3_10_28PM.thumb.png.d1d04219adf01395a452be369e241110.png

4 minutes ago, MemphisHoosier said:

Does anyone remember how/why Matta lost his 2016/2017 squads?  Up until that point, his program was really humming, was it purely physical limitations impacting other aspects of his life?  His KenPom profile is fascinating to sat the least, he was on a HoF trajectory - until it wasn't?

462872433_ScreenShot2021-03-21at3_10_28PM.thumb.png.d1d04219adf01395a452be369e241110.png

I think it was health 

8 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Hope it’s true. I think Matta is a great candidate. His resume speaks for itself. Get a clean bill of health from a doctor and bring him on board. 

He’s 1b to Stevens 1a IF healthy. In fact his floor is higher than Stevens by virtue of actually having navigated major div recruiting before. And he managed it well! I think Stevens ceiling is higher which is why he was the golden child. 

6 minutes ago, Scott_b said:

Matta was in Assembly Hall yesterday with some friends watching Ohio play (not saying he was there for purposes of the coaching vacancy by any means). My father was there and spoke to him a bit. Matta said he is healthy now and it took awhile and now "feels great". No idea if he's pursuing getting back into coaching but he would be an excellent hire IMO.

If he is healthy and feels great, then this search should be short. Stevens said no, give Matta a great contract and let’s go. 

4 minutes ago, Feathery said:

If he is healthy and feels great, then this search should be short. Stevens said no, give Matta a great contract and let’s go. 

Agreed. He checks off all the boxes. He's at a great age that brings a ton of experience and has plenty of years to go.

1 minute ago, VO5 said:

Duncomb tweeted iubb...Matta was in the hall yesterday..I’m guessing this is where we end up going and I’m ok with it. Connecting dots 

That’s an interesting point. I’d be very happy with this. He was there to “watch Ohio,” but was that the real reason? I thought Assembly Hall games had limited crowds.. Not that that would apply to Matta probably, but still.