Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Thad Matta

Looks as if the chances of him coming to B-town are pretty remote -- and I would guess he was a long shot at best. 

And although he made millions -- and got millions more when he and OSU parted ways -- I can't help but feel for the guy. He was one of the game's top coaches until apparently, a couple botched surgeries really screwed up his back. I read a story that said at his worst, he could barely walk, and struggled to put on or take off his shoes and pants, etc. 

I'm also pretty sure I read he was a pretty big outdoors enthusiast -- liked to run and hike, etc., and obviously, can no longer do that.  

Kind of a shame, really. 

3 hours ago, Nonymouse said:

This thread should have more posts. Just saying. ;)

If he’s healthy and willing to recruit, he’s the best choice. I’m not crazy about his offense but it’s serviceable. He (previously) can recruit and coach ‘em up. He’s actually won in the B1G and recruited at that level which Stevens hasn’t (not saying he couldn’t). 

He’s also only 53. He could have a 10-15yr run at IU that is championship level. 

There is the rumor Beilein wants to return to coaching, is the same thought about Matta? Haven't read much about him. 

IF he is healthy and wants to coach then IU should absolutely kick the tires. 

On 3/18/2021 at 7:15 PM, LamarCheeks said:

Looks as if the chances of him coming to B-town are pretty remote -- and I would guess he was a long shot at best. 

And although he made millions -- and got millions more when he and OSU parted ways -- I can't help but feel for the guy. He was one of the game's top coaches until apparently, a couple botched surgeries really screwed up his back. I read a story that said at his worst, he could barely walk, and struggled to put on or take off his shoes and pants, etc. 

I'm also pretty sure I read he was a pretty big outdoors enthusiast -- like to run and hike, etc., and obviously, can no longer do that.  

Kind of a shame, really. 

Back issues are no joke. Steve Kerr had something similar but was able to fix it. 

1 hour ago, str8baller said:

Back issues are no joke. Steve Kerr had something similar but was able to fix it. 

I had a back/neck nerve issue -- pinched nerve in my lower neck.  would shoot completely through my right arm.  At its worst I was getting stingers going through my arm at a rate of three or four times in a minute.  Basically had to put my arm on top of my head to get any relief.  Tried physical therapy, chiropractors, injection, looked into back surgery where I was told there was maybe a 50% chance of it getting better with the potential of it making things worse.  Had to sleep in a recliner for six months and never had more than two hours of sleep before I had to get up and walk around in order to keep from getting locked up and unable to function.  Pain medication did nothing to it.....vicodin couldn't touch the pain.  Honestly was close to suicide as I couldn't imagine living with that kind of constant pain.  The first injection into my neck didn't touch it.....got a second shot but after it I wouldn't be able to get another for six months.  Thankfully, that injection did the trick.  Have suffered minor tweaks since then, but I now know the warning signs and what I can do to keep it fom getting worse.  Still have to sleep on side with my arm on my side (have to tuck my hand into my underwear, LOL) or I feel it in the morning.

So yes, back issues are nothing to mess around with.  Hope that Matta has gotten relief, not just so he can coach but so he can live life comfortably.

2 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

There is the rumor Beilein wants to return to coaching, is the same thought about Matta? Haven't read much about him. 

IF he is healthy and wants to coach then IU should absolutely kick the tires. 

I know Wichita State had kicked the tires after they fired Marshall.  Matta either wasn't interested in coaching or not interested in coaching there.  Don't know which.

On 3/18/2021 at 7:15 PM, LamarCheeks said:

Kind of what I was saying.....back issues can be completely life changing.  I was getting close to my last option, which was surgery due to my issues and knew the risks were really bad.  I have stenosis (narrowing of the spine) and do fear because of that I will have to have surgery to fuse some vertebrae at some point.

If he feels he can do the job without limitations he is in my top 3 and may even be my #1. Not going to find many other guys under 60 with as much sustained success that Matta has had in the B1G no less.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, HoosierTrav said:

9 months ago. 

It’s the pathology...the foot drop, the leg not working (like the video said).  That can be set off again if something isn’t quite right.  I’m currently living that; went about 3-4 years with no pain and being able to be active again.  Then, had an accident that set it off...the foot drops for me are back, the weak leg and reduced nerve function is back.

You have to be extremely careful in maintenance.  I don’t see how Matta could be ready for the stress and endurance you need to succeed at a D1 level with those potential and very real risks.

Edited by ClusterHead

On 3/17/2021 at 4:14 PM, rcs29 said:

It's all about that back man. Just wish we could get done info on his health because his resume speaks for itself

If he was healthy, given his resume, why isn't he working? Seems like a fair question to me...

If he was healthy, given his resume, why isn't he working? Seems like a fair question to me...
Oh that's very fair. I'm simply saying if he is good to go and just being choosy then we should go for it

9 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Oh that's very fair. I'm simply saying if he is good to go and just being choosy then we should go for it

I could be real good with that... but the fact that he's not coaching tells us all quite a bit. And it really is a shame.

I could be real good with that... but the fact that he's not coaching tells us all quite a bit. And it really is a shame.
What does it tell us though? He's not healthy or waiting for what he knows is a good spot? Idk honestly but it is worth the thought.

57 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

What does it tell us though? He's not healthy or waiting for what he knows is a good spot? Idk honestly but it is worth the thought.

It tells me that he's not healthy... if he was, given his resume, he'd be working...