Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Eric Musselman (Arkansas)

7 minutes ago, Shoes_N_Shorts said:

Well, I'm a free agent I guess. Sell me on Musselman.

Super diverse coaching background. Over 10 years of NBA coaching experience with a few of those as head coach. Coached in the g league and internationally before coming to college. Has won like 75% of his games in college so far. Former players have spoken highly of his player development. Big personality. 

Yeah, I've looked into him a bit. If Dolson is serious about "modernizing the brand," a guy like Musselman or Oats would be good candidates. I know Oats has a big buyout, but I wonder about the language in that contract.

Edit: Nevermind, just looked up his MoU. He's on the hook for $12M if he leaves. 

Edited by Shoes_N_Shorts

Musselman is going to the NBA first chance he gets I think. IU success would grant him the spotlight. Don't want to be a stepping stone

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Musselman is going to the NBA first chance he gets I think. IU success would grant him the spotlight. Don't want to be a stepping stone

Then you will be settling. You want someone that has aspirations. Only way he gets an NBA job is if he is wildly successful in college. I’ll take that trade off. 

Then you will be settling. You want someone that has aspirations. Only way he gets an NBA job is if he is wildly successful in college. I’ll take that trade off. 
I'd rather get a guy that sees IU as the destination rather than a way point. Given the gap in potential amongst most of these guys is indistinguishable I'd simply go elsewhere. To each their own

Just now, rcs29 said:

I'd rather get a guy that sees IU as the destination rather than a way point. Given the gap in potential amongst most of these guys is indistinguishable I'd simply go elsewhere. To each their own

2 years ago the word was Beard wants the San Antonio Spurs job after Pop retires. So we should take Beard off the list too?

2 years ago the word was Beard wants the San Antonio Spurs job after Pop retires. So we should take Beard off the list too?
If true then yeah I kind of think so. Unless everybody is confident that in 5 years will be able to successfully hire the right coach again. Given the track record here I'm not confident in that. Look I understand anybody could leave at any given point in time for any reason. I had never heard that rumor about Beard I've definitely heard about Muss wanting to go to the nba

3 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

If true then yeah I kind of think so. Unless everybody is confident that in 5 years will be able to successfully hire the right coach again. Given the track record here I'm not confident in that. Look I understand anybody could leave at any given point in time for any reason. I had never heard that rumor about Beard I've definitely heard about Muss wanting to go to the nba

So then we are talking about hiring Alford..

On 3/19/2021 at 3:43 PM, Hardwood83 said:

Of the active COLLEGE coaches being mentioned Musselman intrigues me the most. If he would commit to IU (large buyout) to avoid his hopping to the NBA anytime soon I think he'd be my pick over Drew, Beard, et al. He's won everywhere and has enough experience without being too old. Not sure he's a lifer, but seems he could do something like Holtzman or Underwood have done. 

He has won nearly everywhere, but everywhere else it is just basketball, in the BIG every game is a combination of basketball and a MMA match. Does his style translate or can he adapt? He wouldn't be the first quality coach that had trouble adapting to the BIG. 

1 minute ago, hoosierbgh said:

He has won nearly everywhere, but everywhere else it is just basketball, in the BIG every game is a combination of basketball and a MMA match. Does his style translate or can he adapt? He wouldn't be the first quality coach that had trouble adapting to the BIG. 

Not sure I can answer that. Howard, Underwood, Holtzman all figured it out though. 

3 hours ago, Treesh said:

My understanding is Arkansas is planning an extension this month. He's not coming. 

So....tell his agent to hold off on the extension until you can talk to him.